• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men # 1 Cover by Jim Lee
1 1

127 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2021 at 12:29 AM, stinkininkin said:

Yes, he won the art in the auction at half the price he offered us! Pays to be smart AND lucky! lol 

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us Scott, this time but also all along. I've really enjoyed them and your discussion with Felix too.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, Terry JSA said:

It sold but they don’t mention the price since the buyer want to remain anonymous. 

AA65311C-0E95-429D-B860-59054B911C2E.jpeg

Pasted from the instagram link...

Torpedo Comics is proud to announce that Jim Lee's X-Men #1 original art has sold at a record breaking price!

Our greatest thanks goes out to everyone who submitted their offers. We congratulate the winner and the new home of this iconic piece of comic book history. At the buyers request both the accepted bid and the identity of the buyer will remain private.

Each creator, writer and artist plays an integral role in the continued growth and expansion of this medium. What Jim Lee and Scott Williams accomplished is timeless and will continue to be enjoyed by us, the fans, and the generations to come. We all owe thanks to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby for their imagination and hard work; they were pioneers who created the world we all take such joy in.

This moment proves the power their work has in creating an everlasting impression in the hearts of their fans.

We will offer more one of a kind opportunities so please stay tuned.

Thank you,
John Dolmayan

On 9/21/2021 at 10:26 PM, Brian Peck said:
Unless they say what the final hammer is its all wildly_fanciful_statement. You can not publicize this as a record breaking sale if you keep the final sale price secret. 
Keeping the buyer secret is fine but if no public mention of the final sale price then its just another sale to a rich person.

I was thinking that as well, it can’t be a “record breaking sale” with no mention of a final sale price being publicized. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:40 PM, Terry JSA said:

I was thinking that as well, it can’t be a “record breaking sale” with no mention of a final sale price being publicized. 

It was suggested in the instagram thread that perhaps John Dolmayan topped the highest bid and bought it himself (speculation), and some comments similar to what we have here, that not revealing the "price" leaves us with, well, nothing, really.  David

Have any of you read that Damon Runyon short story where there's this craps game in an alleyway and the guy running it says he's going to have the largest payout in New York history, so all these guys show up, and when they ask where the dice are, he says he'll throw them himself, and he rolls the dice - in his overturnd hat, behind his back. And then he picks up his hat, looks really close, and announces what each person rolled, and tells them none of them won the pot. I can't remember the name of the story, and was hoping someone here did.  No particular reason.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:40 PM, tth2 said:

Which record was broken?  For Jim Lee art?  For all OA?  

I was thinking the same thing.    And if it was an all OA record does that include or not include frazetta, etc.     There’s just zero to go in the way he’s worded it. 

On 9/22/2021 at 8:25 AM, Bronty said:

I was thinking the same thing.    And if it was an all OA record does that include or not include frazetta, etc.     There’s just zero to go in the way he’s worded it. 

I just broke a record too! I can't say what category or what price because the buyer wants to remain anonymous. 

I don’t want to brag, but I sold an unspecified piece of art from an artist that shall remain nameless for an undetermined amount to a buyer in witness protection that shattered this record breaking sale. I can confirm this did or didn’t happen recently.

Edited by Doc McCoy

Is Shock Suspense 6 at 840k the current record?  FWIW: I actually believe that this "set of covers" has sold for more than that. 

Just like the asterisk that made X-Men 1 the largest-selling comic book of all times, thus shall this "record" have an asterisk attached to it as well.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:25 AM, Bronty said:

Two drumsticks and a small bag of Caesar's Palace chips more than Salvator Mundi. Satisfied? ;)