• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men # 1 Cover by Jim Lee
1 1

127 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2021 at 4:10 AM, Timely said:

Now we can all speculate on the sale price! A Fun game!
I’ll guess $400-500k per cover, 1.6-2mil for the set.

:gossip: ️ The BS you are about to read is just that. Speculative Bull dookey.

Yeah, I h8 fueling this “record” speculation West. We are left to it though with the “private” way this was handled. I think he did get 2.1 M as I just think he had it in mind 500K per cover. Someone with deep pockets could have paid him.

I admire Jim for his contributions to comics and in particular what he does as an artist. No doubt Dolmayan has it going on at Torpedo Comics. He’s pretty shrewd and it was an exciting and luring promotion.

Buzkill on the decision not to publicize the “record” breaking price. 👎 

I was thinking about this last night

• An Olympic power lifter is set to lift a record amount of weight. We don’t know how much the weight is because they’ve pulled a black curtain in front of him. Then someone cuts all audio. Five days later the weight lifter and his team come out from behind the curtain with big smiles. They slap each other on the back and high five.

🏋️♀️ “ I did it! A new record!”

👨🏼? 👩? “What? What is the new record amount? The TV was blacked out and the sound was off!”

🏋️♀️ “uhh... well... it’s a record but I’d prefer to keep it private. You understand, don’t you?”

On 9/22/2021 at 5:25 AM, Bronty said:

I was thinking the same thing.    And if it was an all OA record does that include or not include frazetta, etc.     There’s just zero to go in the way he’s worded it. 

He’s the new Don King of original art promotion.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, John E. said:

This is a bigger disappointment than the time when Comic Connect pulled the ASM 129 cover from auction :busy:

Was that cover actually auctioned? IIRC there was a news release saying it was going to be auctioned and never was. 

Malvin 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, grapeape said:

He’s the new Don King of original art promotion.

I suspect it’s Jim and not John wanting the price to be quiet.    What’s John supposed to do in that case?

On 9/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, malvin said:

Was that cover actually auctioned? IIRC there was a news release saying it was going to be auctioned and never was. 

Malvin 

I believe it was withdrawn before the auction started. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, Bronty said:

I suspect it’s Jim and not John wanting the price to be quiet.    What’s John supposed to do in that case?

On 9/23/2021 at 6:31 AM, J.Sid said:

Or the buyer.... who may want more Jim Lee art in the future.

The Torpedo press release thingy states that both identity and bid be kept private “at the buyer’s request.”

On 9/22/2021 at 9:31 PM, Bronty said:

That’s a fair point. Though it says buyers request I could see where buyer and seller not in a hurry to tell the world how much 💰 involved. 

Edited by grapeape

Grape ape loves a good laugh but this “record” without a price reveal has very little upside for the audience. Pig 2,3,4 and 5 coming to streaming so Nick can pay the art off? Good grief!

Congrats to Jim Lee though. I love the man’s artwork and he’s always been a cool guy. Glad he held on to the covers this long.

Edited by grapeape

On 9/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, Will_K said:

I tried to find the story on thr.com.  Maybe the story got pulled because... "fake news" ??

It was never up. That was a photoshopped joke story.  And I'm sure that now a bunch of people believe it, the way people believe that Tim Burton bought -- oh, wait, maybe I won't keep that 25 year old joke going.  (FWIW, back in 1996 or so two early Kirby pages from books no one has otherwis seen a page from showed up for sale - no one seems to have seen them in person, the seller was obscure, and then the sale was consummated (maybe) with an unknown buyer that someone joked was probably Tim Burton. And so eve since...)