• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men # 1 Cover by Jim Lee
1 1

127 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, tfish1 said:

I can attest to the fact that 2m was turned down

On 9/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, Varanis said:

I heard from multiple folks that $2.5M was turned down, so I'm assuming it was for more. But everything is just hearsay how this has been handled. Really frustrating moment for OA that could've been a true milestone.

I heard the same, though, I guess it was actually $2M that was turned down, as per @tfish1 

Everyone is saying that Dolmayan pulled a Halperin and won it himself. 

On 9/29/2021 at 11:21 AM, delekkerste said:

I heard the same, though, I guess it was actually $2M that was turned down, as per @tfish1 

This feels like a very possible  situation.

As friends, if Dolmayan wanted to buy it you still have to arrive at a fair price. Assume no one beat Dolmayan’s offer they could complete a sale in good faith without that thought in the back of Jim’s mind (I could have done better.)

On 9/29/2021 at 10:59 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

You’re all wrong!  I won the the covers, and I’m going to pay it off just as soon as I sell my Sean Chen Iron Man page tonight :roflmao:

Don't even... it was me, all.  

It's hard to be humble with the weight of the world on one's shoulders.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:21 PM, delekkerste said:

Makes sense and lines up with a possibility I was thinking about. Dolmayan running the collecting of bids would know where it landed and could offer $1 more. Or maybe he made Jim an offer that he liked ...  and they opened the set to outside offers to see if someone would offer more (and then again, be able to pay $1 more). 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, diva_tsarina said:

Haha, that colorists rant is funny. “they don’t have a right to do this” ? Actually they do...

Of course they have the right to ruin their franchise but it doesn't make it right ;)

On 10/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, Peter G said:

Of course they have the right to ruin their franchise but it doesn't make it right ;)

This may not be the most popular thing to say, but frankly: (1) the whole LBGTQ subject has been around long enough that it isn’t particularly brave (as one artist already pointed out); (2) can distract from quality story-telling by using its shock effect as a substitute; and (3) most people aren’t LBGTQ, so relationships that aren’t traditional, or don’t include sexy looking women, are probably not that big a draw outside the media for sales purposes.

I really wish someone would do a parody on the whole subject, like “forbidden love” between Hawkwoman and a real hawk, which in a sense, isn’t all that different than a Kryptonian and Lois Lane. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, Rick2you2 said:

This may not be the most popular thing to say, but frankly: (1) the whole LBGTQ subject has been around long enough that it isn’t particularly brave (as one artist already pointed out)

Agreed!

(3) most people aren’t LBGTQ, so relationships that aren’t traditional, or don’t include sexy looking women, are probably not that big a draw outside the media for sales purposes.

Man, I think I know more LGBTQ folks than not. Lately I've been feeling like a minority that I'm going to start demanding my equal rights. Seriously.

(2) can distract from quality story-telling by using its shock effect as a substitute;

I agree with the lack of storytelling here. I mean what new can be done with Superman? I quote Gilbert Hernandez who said to me once, and I paraphrase, "Being invulnerable is pretty boring." I guess my point of contention is that I don't see this publicity stunt as having a "shock effect." Having a LGBTQ person in my life is pretty normal (see above). Nothing shocking about that. It pretty conservative if you ask me.

I already check out with each Superman costume change. I prefer--and always will--the Superman of my childhood, drawn by the likes of Curt Swan, and especially Ricardo Giordano, who knew how to draw manly men. I prefer the skin tight blue spandex, the little red bootay-huggers, the rock hard abs, the strong jaw topped off with that greasy hair curl, just as much as the next guy.

If DC really wanted to be woke and write a story that reflected real life, then they should make a storyline that has Jonathon Kent juggling two secret identities. The first challenge would be hiding his Superman identity to the world. The second challenge would be hiding his Bi identity from his dad, Clark Kent. Why? Because he's overhead his dad call DeSaad a "f-----" (the "f" word) on multiple occasions. He doesn't know how his dad would react. But his dad does find out going through Jon-Jon's search history. He gets angry. He flies (drags) his son Jonathon to the Fortress of Solitude where he uses those green phallic gems to strip Jon of his powers (that's already charged symbolism so I won't go further than that). Let's call it a "conversion therapy" gem. But that's still not enough for Clark. He says, "I'll be darned if a son of mine is a f----" and kicks Jonathon out of the house. With nowhere to go and destitute, Jonathon Kent is forced to turn tricks across the street from the Hall of Justice. Most of his johns are super powered villains and heroes. Some of those heroes play straight characters in the comics. Such as, let's say, Peacemaker, to take advantage of the The Suicide Squad movie popularity and to promote his upcoming HBO Max show. When Peacemaker is done with his business, he tells Jonathon, "You disgust me. What you do disgusts me." Finding a discarded crow bar in the motel room, Peacemaker beats Jonathon within an inch of his life, because that's what we did to Jason Todd's Robin, right? In a Batman crossover, Batman (or one of his many iterations; I can't keep track anymore) investigates this crime because the police won't be bothered. Bats deduces Peacemaker as the culprit, apprehends him, turns him over to the police, who charge him with a misdemeanor and is released. Back to the Superman book. Jonathon recovers from his injuries after a three-month hospital stay and several reconstruction surgeries. Two months later he commits suicide. Jon just couldn't live in a world where is rejected by his dad, family, and readers. Though I'd put this in my pull list.

Where I draw the line is if Jim Lee tried to push a Batman book set in a multiverse where in that universe, Batman is Prince. And speaking of annoying costume changes. Bat-Prince (he's really a prince in this universe, that's how he can afford all his haute couture) wears a costume consisting of a fish-net Batman midriff, knee pads, knee-high white tube socks, and roller blades. No cowl. Just some shades. No, sir, Mr. Jim Lee. I do not want this book. Not. At. All.