• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Would You Feel If....
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Say you bought a raw comic for a chunk of change (£100 or USD140) a SA thats sold to you as an 8.0

Later you find out it had been cleaned & pressed having previously been a 6.5

Are you annoyed the seller didn't tell straight off or do you shrug and say an 8.0 is an 8.0 and it was a fair price. (Assuming it was!) 

Thoughts? (This is just theoretical, to see what people think.)

I think so long as the book would actually grade out at 8.0 (and by this I mean if I wanted to sell it, the buyer would agree it's an 8.0), I don't know that I'd care.  I don't seek out pressed books, but I agree with @KCOComics that it's probably more prevalent than we might hope and mostly undisclosed.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:42 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Are you annoyed the seller didn't tell straight off or do you shrug and say an 8.0 is an 8.0 and it was a fair price. (Assuming it was!)

If I bought an 8.0, and I received an 8.0, then Idc what the seller did so long as there is no undisclosed restoration.

It wouldn't bother me. As a matter of fact I purchased a Fantastic Four 3 years ago that I knew was pressed although the seller didn't tell me. The damage along the spine had evidence of the comic having a serious spine roll at one time. It pressed out perfectly flat and I was happy to pay 4.0 guide for it raw as to me it looked like a 4.0 in that condition. 

FF3.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 9/15/2021 at 11:05 AM, Moshish said:

Pressing is definitely considered restoration by anyone who is honest, it's just allowable restoration (thumbsu

It's definitely not.

There used to be threads about this that were 100's of pages long.  It was a very sensitive subject that would get people very angry and turn board members against each other.  People were split 50/50 as whether pressing is restoration or not.  Times have  changed, and it has become waaay more acceptable.  Although, to say it is definitely not is highly questionable, and may or may not be accurate.  Many still feel it is, and rightfully so.  

On 9/15/2021 at 11:37 AM, comicdonna said:

There used to be threads about this that were 100's of pages long.  It was a very sensitive subject that would get people very angry and turn board members against each other.  People were split 50/50 as whether pressing is restoration or not.  Times have  changed, and it has become waaay more acceptable.  Although, to say it is definitely not is highly questionable, and may or may not be accurate.  Many still feel it is, and rightfully so.  

My "definitely not" was more a direct response to his exact comment. There are honest people who do not think that it's restoration, including myself. If we use CGC as an authority, what they consider "restoration" changes sometimes, such as when they introduced the Conserved label.

Not everything is settled as to what is restoration. Some of it is situational, like black marker. On white paper? Not restoration. Drawn on a color-breaking crease? Restoration. Even then, there are probably people that disagree with the answers I gave to those questions.

On 9/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My "definitely not" was more a direct response to his exact comment. There are honest people who do not think that it's restoration, including myself. If we use CGC as an authority, what they consider "restoration" changes sometimes, such as when they introduced the Conserved label.

Not everything is settled as to what is restoration. Some of it is situational, like black marker. On white paper? Not restoration. Drawn on a color-breaking crease? Restoration. Even then, there are probably people that disagree with the answers I gave to those questions.

Fair enough.  (thumbsu

On 9/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, comicdonna said:

There used to be threads about this that were 100's of pages long.  It was a very sensitive subject that would get people very angry and turn board members against each other....

I started the thread from a place of ignorance so I'd feel pretty bad if this went south! The chap who responded "you must have missed the last 20 years of comic collecting," had it about right!  I had no idea pressing was so prevalent. I'm getting the very clear picture that a lot if not most books submitted to CGC will have been pressed by the time they end up slabbed. Not totally sure how I feel about it but I own no slabbed books and am not likely to.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'm getting the very clear picture that a lot if not most books submitted to CGC will have been pressed by the time they end up slabbed. Not totally sure how I feel about it...

I don't think that squeezing every book is good for the hobby. Some older books look flat-out weird after being pressed, too.

When people ask stuff like, "Do you think this 9.6 can be pressed into a 9.8?", they've gone too far. 2c