• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Would You Feel If....
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 12:58 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that squeezing every book is good for the hobby. Some older books look flat-out weird after being pressed, too.

When people ask stuff like, "Do you think this 9.6 can be pressed into a 9.8?", they've gone too far. 2c

And yet this happens all the time...  (shrug) 

I've always felt dry cleaning/pressing (C&P) is a form of restoration. That is because my personal definition of restoration is "an attempt to bring an object (in this case a comic book) closer to its original state". 

BUT - and this is a big BUT - one can liken it to crime. Take jaywalking and murder. Both fall under the "crime" umbrella. But just a modicum of understanding is needed to keep the jaywalker from being put at the same level as a murderer. Same with restoration. An understanding is needed to keep a Frankenbook from being perceived at the same level as a book that has C&P. Unfortunately the word "restoration" has taken on a meaning closer to "murderer" regardless of the extent of the process. So some people decided that this is restoration but this is not, even though the attempt was the same on both - bring the book closer to its original state.

Then we have the frequent question "Is this restoration" regarding any number of treatments. It makes me wonder the motivation and reasoning behind this question. I know a lot of the motivation would be "Would this technique get me a Restored label?". If the answer is "No" suddenly, well, it is OK. Even though the book has been subject to some kind of treatment. This seem ingenuous to me. The reality of what was done to the book has taken a back seat to the opinions of some people, who may or may not be professional restorers or even members of organizations like AIC (American Institute for Conservation).

Just my two cents. 

On 9/15/2021 at 5:58 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Then people ask stuff like, "Do you think this 9.6 can be pressed into a 9.8?"...

I'm just being daft here but if you started with a 6.0 and kept pressing, how thin would it be by the time you'd made it into a 9.8? Could you create the comic equivalent of a black hole? Could we then start to dispose of our unwanted moderns by tossing them into it? Could we form a worm hole to an alternative comics universe? One where Robert Crumb drew spider man, earned millions while poor old Todd McFarlane had to draw underground comix to eke out a living?

On 9/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

A 6.0 would disintegrate before being a 9.8. lol

I'm imagining it like pizza dough: The comic would become the size of a football field, then you could start cutting off regular comic book sized pieces and, well...fractional ownership anyone? :sorry: