• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Imagine You Had Three Copies of Action 1
2 2

21 posts in this topic

They are all in poor condition two are incomplete 0.5 & one might be complete in 1.0.

For the purpose of the exercise you reckon you could make one 3.0 using parts of all of them and be left with a pile of loose pages.

Would you do it? (Doesn't have to be Action 1. Substitute the comic of your choice if you prefer!)

My feelings on restoration are mixed. I did my fair share of amateur work as a kid. That I mostly regret because I didn't know what I was doing. Nowadays I tow the line and generally look down upon it as it's largely frowned upon in the hobby.

However, I do often question why not restoration? It's all well and good with other antiques whether it's furniture or vehicles. Why are paper products different?

I wouldn't do what you're describing to any mega keys like Action Comics 1, Tec 27, etc., but if you could create one complete book from the scraps of a few others, I would be ok with it.

Edited by grendelbo

On 9/12/2021 at 3:37 PM, grendelbo said:

However, I do often question why not restoration? It's all well and good with other antiques whether it's furniture or vehicles. Why are paper products different?

I have no aversion to purple labels.

I've often wondered...if restored comics didn't have lower FMVs, would people still feel so strongly against it?

On 9/12/2021 at 7:49 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

They are all in poor condition two are incomplete 0.5 & one might be complete in 1.0.

For the purpose of the exercise you reckon you could make one 3.0 using parts of all of them and be left with a pile of loose pages.

Would you do it? (Doesn't have to be Action 1. Substitute the comic of your choice if you prefer!)

I would consult an expert, of which there are many in the UK, at least two I can think of off the cuff.   :bigsmile:

LowGradeBronze huh? I am guessing they are Hulk 181s. If you think you can do it (which I am guessing from your question that you can't) I would sell them for what they are and let someone else do it. Otherwise, see my prior answer above.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:49 AM, divad said:

LowGradeBronze huh? I am guessing they are Hulk 181s. If you think you can do it (which I am guessing from your question that you can't) I would sell them for what they are and let someone else do it. Otherwise, see my prior answer above.

This was posted for fun to see whose greed would get the better of them (one early reply has been deleted or edited,) and who would have too high regard for an important comic. Im not planning any such monkey business and don't have IH181. I stopped getting Hulk when the art went downhill. I'm with the folk who say don't mess with them, these imaginary Action 1s. 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

No

I don't have a strong opinion on the question. I will note that married pages/covers  gets a Green, Qualified label. Not purple restored. Unless some other restoration type work was done. 

For the hypothetical book (Action 1) - as KCO noted - I would not touch a universal, complete 1.0 copy. It's probably worth at least as much - probably  more - than the Green Label married pages 3.0 all on it's lonesome.  So what's the point? 

It would depend on the page quality and eye-appeal of the 1.0. Are the pages brittle, but the cover fairly nice, with the parts books having better pages, I'd definitely marry the components. It's tough to imagine what would be wrong with a comic that it would be graded a 1.0, but the cover is a 3.0, except that there is damage to interior pages. I suppose it might matter what the issue is - someone clipped an image out of the Stardust page? Leave it alone. There's a big chunk out of the Superman splash? Marry it. 

On 9/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

The books has is too much precious and of historical importance for such importance. It's keep the intact version without touching it.