• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JRJR DD 261 page Heritage result
2 2

29 posts in this topic

I was shocked by the $38k final hammer (John Romita Jr and Al Williamson Daredevil #261 pg 8) for this piece. is this an extreme outlier or (new) normal for this era JRJR DD art? Besides featuring Kingpin and Typhoid Mary is there some particular significance to this issue that I'm overlooking? 

Certainly looks absurd, and it doesn’t seem “special” in any logical way unless someone is trying to complete a book, money be damned.

Perhaps this is the effect of the pure investors reputedly entering the field through their tie up with Heritage?

Very little in this market surprises me anymore, I just add 100-200% to 3 years ago prices (up to 300% if it's certain '90s drek) depending on the piece, and people think I'm like Nostradamus when I end up being so spot-on most of the time these days. :acclaim: 

This result, on the other hand, was surprising to even me, because this is more like somewhere in the 500-1000% range over 2018 prices I would guess, for something that is a pretty meh page.

Edited by delekkerste

On 9/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, cstojano said:

As a completely uninformed person I looked this up to see what the fuss was all about. My first impression is that this is a really ugly looking piece of art. That third panel...

24488470%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-jr-and-al-williamson-daredevil-261-story-page-8-original-art-marvel-1988-/a/7246-97374.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

For real tho, this one makes NO sense at all.

I am no big fan of JRjr, and I hated the Typhoid Mary character when the books were coming out but this page has a lot going for it. I am not in any way justifying the price, but as the bidding continued to crawl up I figured great shots of Kingpin and Typhoid Mary, Kingpin being his hypermasculine self, I see why someone might enjoy the page.

I thought the $3K for the new JRjr covers was sillier, just bad in so many ways as far as I am concerned.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:00 AM, Bird said:

I am no big fan of JRjr, and I hated the Typhoid Mary character when the books were coming out but this page has a lot going for it. I am not in any way justifying the price, but as the bidding continued to crawl up I figured great shots of Kingpin and Typhoid Mary, Kingpin being his hypermasculine self, I see why someone might enjoy the page.

I thought the $3K for the new JRjr covers was sillier, just bad in so many ways as far as I am concerned.

Maybe...but the bottom half of the page is "throwaway" IMO

Edited by pemart1966

On 9/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, cstojano said:

As a completely uninformed person I looked this up to see what the fuss was all about. My first impression is that this is a really ugly looking piece of art. That third panel...

...not to mention the whole bottom half of the page...absurd price...but as they say...art is subjective...

On 9/13/2021 at 6:39 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Whatever drove up this price, it was not quality of work.

Defintitely there were a few instances in this HA auction were prices and artistic content were decoupled to say the least.  I would also mention the Liefeld New Mutants page as an example where there must have bees some sort of significance to a subset of collectors (at least two) resulting in the price.  In the case of the NM page at least we have a hint at what it was (first Deadpool punch?).  In this case I can't see it, even though the page itself is quite interesting and well executed.

Some other prices were quite surprising, but I feel the content was quite strong (like the Byrne XM 113 page or, at a totally different price point, the Brunner Doc Strange fetching a splash price)