• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us comics you got signed in person
7 7

204 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 11:12 AM, rexinnih said:

While I had many growing up in San Diego and going to the Comic Con pretty much every year, my two most cherished are below that I didn't even get at the con. 

Kirby was at a comic store in San Diego (I think it was House of Comics) either late 80's or very early 90's and I happened to be there. Did not have any comics that I brought to sign and as a young teenager, I asked the shop person, any Kirby comics to pick up cheap to get him to sign. He pointed me to the Captain Victory comics and I grabbed two. In retrospect, I would have told my very young self to pick up something Marvel Silver age but that's neither here nor there. I do remember not many people being there but a hovering lady, who I later realized was his wife, was right behind him. Can't recall conversation or anything but cherish the memory of meeting one of the greats.

Fast forward to Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle in 2017 and Stan Lee was going to be there. I made sure to get a photo with him, super polite and he even said thank you to which I responded - no, thank you for being here. Autographs were at certain times with long lines in a room, down the hall from the photo area. I followed the line to see where the room was and thought I'd try later as they capped the number of people. I waited towards the end of the last one on the schedule and went directly to the room as I didn't see a line. There were only a few people in line this time as Stan had taken a break and was going to get back to signing at an unspecified time. The door was closed to the area but I just walked in like I knew what I was doing and no one questioned. Got in line and had him sign the photo I took with him earlier and then the Captain Victory that I also had Kirby sign years before to get them both on the same page. 

I wish I had realized/taken more advantage of getting signatures from comic conventions when I was younger in San Diego because the only outlay was your time standing in line even though I now fully support artists charging for their signature. 

I now make an effort to get a single event poster (Below is from the Washington State Summer Con 2021 signed by Claremont, Milgom, Rubenstien, Dan Jurgens, Jim Starlin, Donny Cates, Chaykin and more that attended the event). I also take advantage of the many in house signings that CGC offers but in person is just so much more fun!

Kirby Lee In Person png.png

2021 Summer Con Poster PNG.png

Dating myself here but I remember the days of the SDCC at the El Cortez. Jack, Eisner and the boys would hold court down by the pool. Not a lot of people around. Jack always had a fat cigar in his mouth. One year, when they first came out, I had The first issues of Kamandi, New Gods, Forever People and a couple others. Jack signed them all with a smile even dropping some ash in one of them! One year he was doing sketches and I got a Capt. America. Well done. I sadly lost it in s house fire years later but still got the comics. 

Seems like EVERYBODY was at the SDCC over the years and I hit up most of them for an autograph and a quick chat. 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Robot Man said:

Al was a wonderful man and so great to his fans. I was lucky enough to meet him several times. One of my favorite times was when he signed this. He was so surprised to see it because all people ever handed him were EC's and MADs. He told me that Gaines called him the "boob man". I told him I was too but just couldn't draw them...

Me at an LA Shrine Hall show in the mid 80's getting it signed. Looks like we were having intense conversation...:roflmao:

comjunior13.jpg

alfeldsteinphoto.jpg

You look angry poor old Al! 

Al would be on my personal top 5 list when I think of his significance to the hobby as we know it. I always got a kick out of Gaines saying EC was all about the story telling....

While I appreciate the work he and Al did as story tellers, what made EC so compelling was the art!  And that was Al and Kurtzman and Wally (among others). 

On 9/14/2021 at 5:37 PM, KCOComics said:

Al would be on my personal top 5 list when I think of his significance to the hobby as we know it. I always got a kick out of Gaines saying EC was all about the story telling....

While I appreciate the work he and Al did as story tellers, what made EC so compelling was the art!  And that was Al and Kurtzman and Wally (among others). 

I'm the guy in the blue shirt. I was hanging on every word. And yeah, book for book, ECs were the best comics ever produced. 

On 9/14/2021 at 5:47 PM, Robot Man said:

And yeah, book for book, ECs were the best comics ever produced. 

No argument there; I think there have been lots of of comics as good or better over the years but no publisher has ever hit the linewide level of quality the EC's managed from 1950-1956, or even come within an order or two of magnitude. 

On 9/15/2021 at 1:37 AM, KCOComics said:

Perfect synergy. Great, consistent writing, and so many of the A-list comic artists of the time at their peak.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mutant Manatee said:

Not a comic book but it's comic book-related.  Probably my most cherished autographed item.

Tales of Terror Signed 1.jpg

Is that a ‘Horror Comics of the 1950s’ hardcover?