• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us comics you got signed in person
7 7

204 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, Robot Man said:

How about the Master Will Eisner? Seems like he and Kirby were at every SDCC for years. I always brought a book or two for him to sign. This is my favorite. 

comspirit22a.jpg

comspirit22b.jpg

Eisner is another guy I would have loved to have met.  Actually the background on my phone is a Spirit newspaper insert from the 1941 Philadelphia Recorder. 

And if your going to get an Eisner book signed, it should be this one! Awesome book! 

@Terry JSA

Read your story Terry. Wow, that sucks. Got got Neal many years ago pre-CGC. At the time was cool if you only had a book or two. A quick photo was free. I don't know, if I were in his position and a smiling young kid came up to me with a book probably published before you were born and asked for a simple autograph, you would get it free. Why burn out future fans and collectors for a few bucks? Neal has just gotten old and greedy...

Problem is, like a lot of things we do to ourselves we ruin it. CGC came out with witnessed sigs and poof there goes your entire con budget. Thus the purpose of this thread. A throwback to when the hobby was less of a business and more a group of lovers of the medium. I can see you are the latter. 

Funny story. I almost paid for an autograph once... I was a a small local con and checked the guest list. I saw Marv Wolfman was coming. Now, can't really say I am a fan at all of his work. But I brought my dupe lower grade Teen Titans #1. I walked up to his empty table and plied to his ego about how much I loved his work and would he please sign my book? He looked up at me, took the book and scribbled his name across the cover. He handed it back and extended his palm and said "20 bucks". I was a bit taken back. This was before CGC. There was no one there and no sign or indication he was charging for an autograph. I said, "no thanks" and put the book on his table. He repeated "20 bucks" no expression. So I picked it up and handed it to a kid walking by and told him to collect it from him. Turned around and walked off...

Enjoy the hobby Terry and don't let stuff like this spoil it for you. Want to meet somebody cool? Look up Sergio Argonnes. He will still sign one un-witnessed item for free and with a smile. (And he is WAY more talented than Marvel Wolfman)

And by the way, I don't know who Clayton Crane is but that is one of the most beautiful signatures I've seen on a comic. He looks like a nice guy too. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 9/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, Terry JSA said:

You can find the story regarding Neal Adams here

Regarding the Clayton Crain signature, he was doing his comic shop road tour with Black Flag Comics and he so just happened to be coming to one my local shops, so I decided to get my Ultimate Fallout #4 signed by him. 

67EF52E1-81A0-4C2B-8F03-F5673AD097E7.thumb.jpeg.de38f0d719c72cf4d388cd98eedf5778.jpeg6F77CB85-B890-448B-ADE2-08287036AD03.thumb.jpeg.39b31f75f0dbfe89d672fb244db37141.jpeg370CAA8D-1FF9-49A3-AD75-795E8C433364.thumb.jpeg.0c6ed42852c499fc2c587b6235e09e35.jpeg59186C86-17B5-42E3-A5D6-9DF1FAA36178.thumb.jpeg.c7cacc5909fc846d6d53c469a9ce7e85.jpeg

Yeah neil adams ego gets worst every year lol got to see him in 4 co in 4 different years,and year after year it was worst,first year was great really chatty free signing for first book then 5 for the other books!second time 20$ for each sigs then 35 the other year and 50 the other!but he have great stories and all very knowledgeable but only talks after being paid so yeah mixed feelings from him but great artist! 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, Robot Man said:

@Terry JSA

Read your story Terry. Wow, that sucks. Got got Neal many years ago pre-CGC. At the time was cool if you only had a book or two. A quick photo was free. I don't know, if I were in his position and a smiling young kid came up to me with a book probably published before you were born and asked for a simple autograph, you would get it free. Why burn out future fans and collectors for a few bucks? Neal has just gotten old and greedy...

Problem is, like a lot of things we do to ourselves we ruin it. CGC came out with witnessed sigs and poof there goes your entire con budget. Thus the purpose of this thread. A throwback to when the hobby was less of a business and more a group of lovers of the medium. I can see you are the latter. 

Funny story. I almost paid for an autograph once... I was a a small local con and checked the guest list. I saw Marv Wolfman was coming. Now, can't really say I am a fan at all of his work. But I brought my dupe lower grade Teen Titans #1. I walked up to his empty table and plied to his ego about how much I loved his work and would he please sign my book? He looked up at me, took the book and scribbled his name across the cover. He handed it back and extended his palm and said "20 bucks". I was a bit taken back. This was before CGC. There was no one there and no sign or indication he was charging for an autograph. I said, "no thanks" and put the book on his table. He repeated "20 bucks" no expression. So I picked it up and handed it to a kid walking by and told him to collect it from him. Turned around and walked off...

Enjoy the hobby Terry and don't let stuff like this spoil it for you. Want to meet somebody cool? Look up Sergio Argonnes. He will still sign one un-witnessed item for free and with a smile. (And he is WAY more talented than Marvel Wolfman)

And by the way, I don't know who Clayton Crane is but that is one of the most beautiful signatures I've seen on a comic. He looks like a nice guy too. 

I wasn’t upset about it as it was a great experience for me since I got to meet one of my favorite comic book artists. Personally I don’t mind paying for a signature but that’s just me, everyone has different thoughts on it since most collectors grew up during a time where you could walk up to a creator and have them sign a book for free. 

Clayton Crain was a cool person to meet. The amount of people who showed up for his signing was crazy. I didn’t think the shop owner and staff anticipated that would happen, so it was a train wreck at the beginning, but got better as time went on. What I like about his signature is that he offers lots of variation to it. I could’ve went with a normal black signature but I chose the “infinity Signature” instead.

Funny enough, I bought that Ultimate Fallout #4 exactly 2 days before the signing for $125. I think it was after they announced the new Spider-Man: Miles Morales game as well, but anyways that book made huge gains within the last year. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 9/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, Robot Man said:

Here is one of my favorites. From the 1995 SDCC. I knew Gil Kane was making a rare appearance so I decided to bring this book. I was making my way through artist’s alley to his table and ran into Mart Nodel first. I had brought an old Comic Cavalcade and had him sign the GL story. He spotted the Showcase and commented on it. I asked him to sign it since he created the original character which he graciously did.

I finally made my way to Gil Kane’s table and waited for a couple people in me. I of course praised his work and told him GL was my favorite character. (I lied, it was Batman). Anyway, I opened the book and he saw Nodel’s sig and went nuts. He was raving that this was HIS character and “that old hack” had no business signing HIS book. I told him I knew that but since Mart had created the first one, I thought it would be cool to have both creators in one book. He went on and on causing a scene. 

Finally, an older gentleman said “forget about it Gil and just sign the kid’s book”. So he did. Then the older gentleman said he was Julius Schwartz and would I like his sig too? Whoa, you bet. 

All free of charge but man, I had to put up with a lot to get it done...

Was I wrong in having Mart Nodel sign it too?

E4ED7ADA-C88A-4EE5-B75C-66AE4D107A04.jpeg

C01AFC31-AA62-4239-8732-517F86243007.jpeg

Yooooo that’s dope! Treasure that book! :whatthe:

On 9/18/2021 at 8:47 AM, Terry JSA said:

I wasn’t upset about it as it was a great experience for me since I got to meet one of my favorite comic book artists. Personally I don’t mind paying for a signature but that’s just me, everyone has different thoughts on it since most collectors grew up during a time where you could walk up to a creator and have them sign a book for free. 

Clayton Crain was a cool person to meet. The amount of people who showed up for his signing was crazy. I didn’t think the shop owner and staff anticipated that would happen, so it was a train wreck at the beginning, but got better as time went on. What I like about his signature is that he offers lots of variation to it. I could’ve went with a normal black signature but I chose the “infinity Signature” instead.

Funny enough, I bought that Ultimate Fallout #4 exactly 2 days before the signing for $125. I think it was after they announced the new Spider-Man: Miles Morales game as well, but anyways that book made huge gains within the last year. 

2018 Emerald City Comic con in Seattle, Neal Adams had his table as usual. I wanted to get my X-Men 56 Sig Series signed by him so got my CGC witness and went to his table. I think regular signatures were $20 and CGC was $50. First time I recall getting such a bump for CGC signatures but didn't really think too badly as I was supporting an artist. Remember didn't really know much about Clayton Crain at the time, I pretty much haven't collected since 1993 and pretty much just CGCing my collection and attending shows to get prints and signatures on comics I already own. I saw a Hulk and Wolverine print he had with both of them fighting and really liked it. He was doing a commission but stopped and took the time to sign the print for me and I commented how much I really liked it. He was very polite and seemed to appreciate those that that came to his booth. 

On 9/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, fast eddie said:

My brother is a rabid autograph collector and we both were collecting comics. We heard Frank was coming to a little bookstore here in Atlanta. I was watching Frank sign and I started to rib him about the sloppiness of his signature,,,,I suggested he would make a fine doctor with such a signature,,,,,he thought I was funny and we had a very lively conversation about his career and he signed the back of my Sin City with this little quip. Hope my photos turn out!

IMG_7617.JPG

IMG_7618.JPG

lol awesome :) 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, fast eddie said:

My brother is a rabid autograph collector and we both were collecting comics. We heard Frank was coming to a little bookstore here in Atlanta. I was watching Frank sign and I started to rib him about the sloppiness of his signature,,,,I suggested he would make a fine doctor with such a signature,,,,,he thought I was funny and we had a very lively conversation about his career and he signed the back of my Sin City with this little quip. Hope my photos turn out!

IMG_7617.JPG

IMG_7618.JPG

^^^^^^

Murphy Anderson on my childhood copy of Hawkman #1. Gotta be the smallest autograph I’ve ever gotton. I loved Hawkman as a kid. Never gave it any thought as who drew it back then but really love his work. 

A very nice guy and super friendly. He was very impressed that I had saved it. One of just a few of my original childhood books. 

BC8FFD1D-D85E-45AB-A144-1F005EE7302B.jpeg

A6052F03-6F84-466E-B2C0-5E0A4412D87C.jpeg