• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us comics you got signed in person
7 7

204 posts in this topic

First time I remember getting a comic signed in person was some comic convention, maybe Long Beach or something, early 90’s. It was right before Ultraverse had launched. I had Jae Lee sign an issue of Namor. I wasn’t a Namor reader, didn’t know who Jae Lee was, and bought the issue at the show for him to sign because he was there. Still a cool experience.

don’t remember if it was before or after that but one day at the LCS Kris Silver was there promoting Greater Mercury Comics and Silverwolf and had a bunch of comics there. Be hard sold me on the Grips trade when I was like 10 and he signed it and an artist that was with him sketched in it. Pretty sure they signed/sketched an issue of Edge as well. I don’t think the artist was the illustrator for Grips or Edge.

the only other comic I’ve had signed in person was the big Xaime book a few years back. Met my favorite cartoonist. 

On 9/21/2021 at 5:36 AM, grendelbo said:

I'm liking these books with the signatures on the interior pages. 

Can’t go wrong with placement this way.

Neat, consistent.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, grendelbo said:

I'm liking these books with the signatures on the interior pages. 

These are “old school”. I have always preferred them this way. A fun surprise when you open them. And always in ball point pen not sharpie to keep them nice and legible. Plus, if I were ever to get them graded, they would get a blue label. 

On 9/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, Terry JSA said:

You can find the story regarding Neal Adams here

Yeah, that's a rough intro to that side of the hobby. My younger brother had the same experience the first time he found NA at a show, except he walk away completely disappointed.

Ol' Neal sure seemed happy you had the money.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, MR SigS said:

Yeah, that's a rough intro to that side of the hobby. My younger brother had the same experience the first time he found NA at a show, except he walk away completely disappointed.

Ol' Neal sure seemed happy you had the money.

I’m surprised I even had enough money for all of that. lol

Edited by Terry JSA

On 9/18/2021 at 8:31 PM, Robot Man said:

Murphy Anderson on my childhood copy of Hawkman #1. Gotta be the smallest autograph I’ve ever gotton. I loved Hawkman as a kid. Never gave it any thought as who drew it back then but really love his work. 

A very nice guy and super friendly. He was very impressed that I had saved it. One of just a few of my original childhood books. 

BC8FFD1D-D85E-45AB-A144-1F005EE7302B.jpeg

A6052F03-6F84-466E-B2C0-5E0A4412D87C.jpeg

When I was young, I carried around a "jam" art board.  Murphy Anderson drew Adam Strange on it for me, super nice man.  Curt Swan was set up beside him so I asked if he would draw Superman on it.  NO, i don't do drawings at shows.  Murphy said, come on Curt, draw the kid a Superman.  So he did.  Thanks Murphy!