• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us comics you got signed in person
7 7

204 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2021 at 5:17 AM, Stronguy said:

AmazingFantasy_015.jpg.c473180e790a9ae4695bb0ea97965ccc.jpg

OK, drop the mike!

Wow, a little speechless with this one. A beautiful copy and signature with perfect placement. Stunning. 

But part of me says, I would never get that copy signed especially on the cover. It’s just too nice. 

It’s just my singular opinion and I am in no way ramming my opinion down anyone’s throat. 

When I was way younger, I had Jerry Siegel sign my Superman #9 and Wrightson sign a beautiful House of Mystery #92 on the cover. Have always regretted it a bit. 

Then, again, I’m an old school geezer and still prefer inside sigs. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:25 AM, Robot Man said:

OK, drop the mike!

Wow, a little speechless with this one. A beautiful copy and signature with perfect placement. Stunning. 

But part of me says, I would never get that copy signed especially on the cover. It’s just too nice. 

It’s just my singular opinion and I am in no way ramming my opinion down anyone’s throat. 

When I was way younger, I had Jerry Siegel sign my Superman #9 and Wrightson sign a beautiful House of Mystery #92 on the cover. Have always regretted it a bit. 

Then, again, I’m an old school geezer and still prefer inside sigs. 

It is restored.  I had it for 25 years and got stand to sign it at SDCC in 2002 (before he was signing everything under the sun).  Alas, I sold it about 5 years ago.  :sorry:

On 9/23/2021 at 5:35 PM, Robot Man said:

I got to meet Woody...:banana:

Kind of bittersweet. I heard Wally Wood would be at the SDCC in July 1981. This was at the in between location from the El Cortez to the current SD Convention Center. So I brought a few of my favorites at the time. These were two of them.

Wally Wood was and still is in my top 5 comic artists from the first time I saw his work in MAD. So no way was I going to miss this opportunity.

Saw the line and was going to come back later but stood it out. As I got closer, they he was. When it was my turn, I extended my hand and gushed a bit. He smiled weakly and thanked me. I noticed he didn't look to well, frail and broken and to tell the truth kinda smelled of alcohol. He barely recognized the books I asked him to sign. He looked at this one and said "such a long time ago". I was a little stunned but feel honored to have gotten the chance to thank him. 

On a funny side note...The Convention Center was on a fairly busy street down town. Me and a couple of my buddies decided to go out for a break and "indulge" in a quick "funny cigarette". We were over on the side by a planter and some big trees enjoying our smoke when 3 police cars pulled up quick on the street right next to us and jumped out of their cars. Busted...no we noticed they were looking past us at the bank behind us. All of a sudden two guys came running out with bags and guns drawn. The cops told them to drop them and they didn't so they dropped them. It happened so fast. There went our "break" and we ran back to the con with our tale. 

A day I will never forget...

commaskfumanchu1.jpg

commaskfumanchu2.jpg

(worship)

Very cool! I remember than Con well. Was just mind blowing to see all those folks together at one time. I got individual book sigs and the MAD book I posted earlier in this thread. 

I had the distinct honor of sitting at Jack Kamen’s table at the banquet. 

Probably, best Con I have ever attended.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:35 PM, Robot Man said:

I got to meet Woody...:banana:

Kind of bittersweet. I heard Wally Wood would be at the SDCC in July 1981. This was at the in between location from the El Cortez to the current SD Convention Center. So I brought a few of my favorites at the time. These were two of them.

Wally Wood was and still is in my top 5 comic artists from the first time I saw his work in MAD. So no way was I going to miss this opportunity.

Saw the line and was going to come back later but stood it out. As I got closer, they he was. When it was my turn, I extended my hand and gushed a bit. He smiled weakly and thanked me. I noticed he didn't look to well, frail and broken and to tell the truth kinda smelled of alcohol. He barely recognized the books I asked him to sign. He looked at this one and said "such a long time ago". I was a little stunned but feel honored to have gotten the chance to thank him. 

On a funny side note...The Convention Center was on a fairly busy street down town. Me and a couple of my buddies decided to go out for a break and "indulge" in a quick "funny cigarette". We were over on the side by a planter and some big trees enjoying our smoke when 3 police cars pulled up quick on the street right next to us and jumped out of their cars. Busted...no we noticed they were looking past us at the bank behind us. All of a sudden two guys came running out with bags and guns drawn. The cops told them to drop them and they didn't so they dropped them. It happened so fast. There went our "break" and we ran back to the con with our tale. 

A day I will never forget...

commaskfumanchu1.jpg

commaskfumanchu2.jpg

That is just beautiful. I wish I had understood more and appreciated the comic creators at the con while growing up in San Diego. I usually got to go one day with a parent and just focused on buying comics. 

On 9/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Sorry, here is a sloppy animal signature...

It was a crappy copy and I didn't care. 

commanfromuncle16.jpg

I just saw him yesterday on Columbo as the killer. Was pretty cool to remember ☺️

On 9/28/2021 at 3:30 AM, Axelrod said:

I think this is my only one, from 1985.  Walt Simonson is the best.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0327 (2).JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Easily my favourite creator signature.

The dinosaur.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:30 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed.  Signatures belong on the inside of books, not on the front cover, like an animal.  :sumo:

Certainly my preference.  Consistent placement, neat and tidy, rather than untamed and unpredictable. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

This is my work in progress, haven't been able to get any more signatures since March of 2019. I am planning on Heroes Con in Charlotte in June 2022. Some of the big names I have gotten are Mark Bagley, Joe Sinnott  and Steve McNiven.

I have several other personally signed comics including one of my personal favorites X-Faxtor 87 by Peter David and Joe Quesada

20210928_081500.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, Ducky13 said:

This is my work in progress, haven't been able to get any more signatures since March of 2019. I am planning on Heroes Con in Charlotte in June 2022. Some of the big names I have gotten are Mark Bagley, Joe Sinnott  and Steve McNiven.

I have several other personally signed comics including one of my personal favorites X-Faxtor 87 by Peter David and Joe Quesada

20210928_081500.jpg

That is an Awsome work in progress! One that will never be complete but historically important.