• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I ruined my card! How much will this dent impact my grade?

6 posts in this topic

I left my Umbreon VMAX Alt Art in a sealable sleeve, and put it in a screw down plastic display case. I guess I was too excited when I cracked it.

Looking over other submissions that get 6s or 7s, I haven't seen anything like this, so I can't find a reference point of what I might expect.

The centering is already a bit off on the back, probably an 8. This dent is mirrored on the right side of the backing too, and a small mark on the bottom. All of these are hard to see unless there's a bright light on them. Nothing on the front, though. The edges look alright and the corners seem fine, I feel like they could be 8.5-9.5s, but I'm worried these dents will knock the whole thing down to a 7 or 6. This is for collection purposes, so I don't intend to resell this any time soon, and I have already sent it, but how much did I ruin my card? What grade should I expect?

w3jv41goo9n71.thumb.jpg.19c9c3b6144bfbbaa9416a60ccf23380.jpg

Edited by ihave458ducks

Ouch, that card is finished. Probably a 5.5 - 6.5

A modern set card in that condition will not be able to be effectively resold, probably forever.

I use cards like that as a "sweeten the deal" type of card when dealing with a larger trade.

You could send to PSA as it will probably get a 6 but also might get a 10. Right now, the card is both grades at the same time, a phenomenon known as Schrodinger’s Slab. The only way to know is to grade it, and either way, self-fulfilling prophecy justifies the grade once you get it, so you’re good!

This infallible business model of shifting the grade reasoning to the Customer based on the number grade they see on the front of the slab has worked since the beginning. Stop asking questions.

Any way, once the grade is assigned, the Customer knows why their card graded the way it did, mostly because humans are just so smart and observant and brilliant.

#CommunityStandard

#WhoNeedsSubgrades?

On 9/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, ihave458ducks said:

I left my Umbreon VMAX Alt Art in a sealable sleeve, and put it in a screw down plastic display case. I guess I was too excited when I cracked it.

Looking over other submissions that get 6s or 7s, I haven't seen anything like this, so I can't find a reference point of what I might expect.

The centering is already a bit off on the back, probably an 8. This dent is mirrored on the right side of the backing too, and a small mark on the bottom. All of these are hard to see unless there's a bright light on them. Nothing on the front, though. The edges look alright and the corners seem fine, I feel like they could be 8.5-9.5s, but I'm worried these dents will knock the whole thing down to a 7 or 6. This is for collection purposes, so I don't intend to resell this any time soon, and I have already sent it, but how much did I ruin my card? What grade should I expect?

w3jv41goo9n71.thumb.jpg.19c9c3b6144bfbbaa9416a60ccf23380.jpg

Based off that dent I think you can expect a 6-7. Might honestly just be better to sell it raw and note that issue to potential buyers.