• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Detective Comics #27 coming to Heritage , 7.0 A-5 white pages
1 1

64 posts in this topic

Said a while back that the entry level for a complete restored T27 or A1 was 200K. It might actually be 300K now. There are probably only about 200-250 existing complete copies of each book, including restored copies. The lower grade unrestored books are going to soon have a price approaching $1 million, IMO. Where does that leave the people who want a copy, but can't possibly ever pony up seven figures? Purple labels.

Edited by twmjr1
mistake

On 9/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, Mmehdy said:

The next big price jump will be the purple label mega keys, especially A1/D27/Marvel 1

I will be curious to see if you are correct. Have not been a serious collector as long as you but I have seen the view toward resto swing so wildly that it went from one nonsensical attitude to another nonsensical attitude.  Originally it was you "have to get it restored or you're leaving money on the table".  Then it went to "all restoration is desecration and destroys the book's value because it's the deed itself that matters and not how little or how much was done".

I would love to see what this looked like prior to resto but doubt that info is available.  I remember when I tried to sell a book that was restored along with details of the work plus before and after photos, I was told "nobody cares about anything but what it looks like now", which of course eventually went to the other side of the pendulum to became "nobody cares because any restoration is just as bad as total recreation, so regardless of what it looked like before it has been destroyed".  

So you think maybe the pendulum will finally come to rest somewhere between the middle of those two extremes?       

Edited by bluechip

On 9/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, fishbone said:
On 9/15/2021 at 1:54 PM, twmjr1 said:

Would not surprise me if the Tec 27 went for over $500K.

really ? I was thinking something insane like pushing 400K, but 500? I wonder if that is possible ........

Even in this crazy hot marketplace that we have today, I believe the simple fact that the label states the restoration as being Extensive is enough on its own to keep this book under the $500K price point.  (shrug)

Hopefully not though since I feel that the stigma against the restored PLODS have been way overdone due to CGC's stigmatizing color labels.  :frustrated:  

On 9/15/2021 at 3:34 PM, bluechip said:

I will be curious to see if you are correct. Have not been a serious collector as long as you but I have seen the view toward resto swing so wildly that it went from one nonsensical attitude to another nonsensical attitude.  Originally it was you "have to get it restored or you're leaving money on the table".  Then it went to "all restoration is desecration and destroys the book's value because it's the deed itself that matters and not how little or how much was done".

I would love to see what this looked like prior to resto but doubt that info is available.  I remember when I tried to sell a book that was restored along with details of the work plus before and after photos, I was told "nobody cares about anything but what it looks like now", which of course eventually went to the other side of the pendulum to became "nobody cares because any restoration is just as bad as total recreation, so regardless of what it looked like before it has been destroyed".  

So you think maybe the pendulum will finally come to rest somewhere between the middle of those two extremes?       

what happens is the Blue Label prices go up or sky rocket first and then the Purple follows after a number of collectors  who were hoping either for a price correction or a good deal realize that they have been left in the dust price wise and then by price necessity have to switch to Purple and thus bid up the prices of those books. It is normal  market reaction. There are still a few mega keys you can buy but not for long blue label, Cap#1 is the best buy out there along with Whiz 2.....but they will not be there at somewhat of a decent price forever....

Edited by Mmehdy

CGC should have chosen a different color for restored books. Red would have been better.  Having said that, this is a sweet looking book but Extensive. When I think of extensive restoration I think ok, 1 could be just the slightest little resto, 2 is less resto than 3, 3 is less than 4, but 5.......Is there even a limit? Could most of the book be say, artificial? Is there a point where they "just say no"?  I'd love to see what it looked like before the restoration. 

Gonna be interesting to see where it lands.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:06 PM, Professor K said:

When I think of extensive restoration I think ok, 1 could be just the slightest little resto, 2 is less resto than 3, 3 is less than 4, but 5.......Is there even a limit? Could most of the book be say, artificial? Is there a point where they "just say no"?  I'd love to see what it looked like before the restoration. 

50D0EB5A-0AE9-494D-B23E-C64B2740C43F.jpeg

Someone's resto collection up for grabs it seems :idea:

That tec 27 sure is pretty.  The colors looks newsstand fresh and they pop.  I'm wondering though if the interior lightening made the pages white?  Was it brittle before that was done?  I've always been against any type of re-glossing on the cover and interior lightening.  That's just a step beyond the kind of restoration I'd like accept in my opinion especially for books heading into the pc.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:28 PM, Dark Knight said:

That tec 27 sure is pretty.  The colors looks newsstand fresh and they pop.  I'm wondering though if the interior lightening made the pages white?  Was it brittle before that was done?  I've always been against any type of re-glossing on the cover and interior lightening.  That's just a step beyond the kind of restoration I'd like accept in my opinion especially for books heading into the pc.

At your age the way prices are going up you better take what you can get.:baiting:See the source image

Edited by woowoo

On 9/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, Dark Knight said:

For some reason I can't deal with reglossed cover or lightened pages.  However, in this case I would make an exception

On 9/15/2021 at 9:27 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

50D0EB5A-0AE9-494D-B23E-C64B2740C43F.jpeg

Yeah a piece of history. That history being the most ridiculous auction of 2021. Two auctions actually. I have a feeling the first guy never paid after he sobered up. Think  they wrote that description in a Tongue-in-Cheek manner, at least I hope so.

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction