• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penciller vs inker

29 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Will_K said:

Yes !!  Ink on digital blueline pencils is a totally different discussion.  There are a couple topics on that.

So pencils and blueline pencils are considered differently then...?

I don't think these are digital blueline though. I don't see that stated anywhere....

On 9/19/2021 at 3:34 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I don't think these are digital blueline though. I don't see that stated anywhere....

It isn’t always easy, but a giveaway is usually age. If it is over 20 years old, you will be looking at blue line pencils (probably even more recently). If less than 5, high probability is it is digital. Second, ask the seller. To see for yourself, find what looks like a pencilled area with no ink and run your finger lightly across it. If you feel something, they are real pencils. If the pencil-like image is almost like a vague shadow which the inker is ignoring, it will be digital.

The whole subject is a bit of a paradox. People buy the art because of its appearance (and artists, etc.). But, they also want original artwork. So, they want original pencils and inks even though the appearance doesn’t matter if the pencils are not original. If it hasn’t happened already, I think that will lead to lower prices for original pencils that are separated from original inks despite the essential importance of the pencils, because ultimately, appearance will prevail.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:34 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Yes, actual pencils and (printed) blueline pencils are different.

Actual pencils touched the page by the artist.

vs

"Blueline pencils" are printed as blue which the inker then inks. The penciller either had pencilled on another page and scanned it or digitally drew it. The penciller never touched the blueline pencils page.

http://www.comiconart.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=204

"11 x 17 - JP Mayer inks over John Romita Jr blueline pencils"

It's stated on every page there that I looked at.

Edited by Twanj

On 9/19/2021 at 3:33 PM, Twanj said:

There are probably better threads but these are the ones I could find easy.

Thanks for sending these links through. I thought I already knew, but it seems I still have a lot to learn.

So from my understanding...

inks over blue pencils  = the prelim artist drew in blue pencil, which are then inked over

inks over blue lines  = the prelim artist drew in standard graphite pencil, then scanned this into blue which is then inked over.

I imagine that inks over blueline pencil is the same as inks over blue lines.... but the terminology is confusing and can easily be mistaken for inks over blue pencils by noob collectors. 

On 9/19/2021 at 5:55 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Thanks for sending these links through. I thought I already knew, but it seems I still have a lot to learn.

So from my understanding...

inks over blue pencils  = the prelim artist drew in blue pencil, which are then inked over

inks over blue lines  = the prelim artist drew in standard graphite pencil, then scanned this into blue which is then inked over.

I imagine that inks over blueline pencil is the same as inks over blue lines.... but the terminology is confusing and can easily be mistaken for inks over blue pencils by noob collectors. 

Pretty much.

Blue pencils as opposed to grey/graphite normal pencils.

Yes, inks over "blueline pencils" is too confusing. Bluelines = pencils printed as blue which are then physically inked over. The original pencils may be on another board, or digital, or possibly something else. Lots of combos. Sometimes inks are digital, like with Ron Lim who most of his recent work is pencils only.

Some artists (see Art Adams instagram) use actual blue pencils since the blue isn't reproduced I guess. (Maybe less erasing to do?).

Other artists like Rob Liefeld do a small prelim in pencil. They enlarge that then print it as grey, add more pencils, and ink it themselves.

Once (a long time ago), I heard Adam Hughes mention that he no longer used blue pencil due it being unfair to the inker.  The blue pencil could gunk up the pens.

Re: buying/selling digital blue line pencils, the most important thing is research/disclosure.  If buying from the artist's rep, you can get more information.  Unless an artist's practices are well-known, after a time or when the art has changed hands a few times, that knowledge can be lost. 

On 9/19/2021 at 9:34 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Yes,  it is stated.

i reserved a page myself.