• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you prefer to have as many autographs as possible on one book?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I'm looking to add a signature series book to my collection. I've never owned one. I'm thinking McFarlane. I've seen some cool ones on ebay. Many of them have multiple sigs. 

What do you prefer? A book with one sig or is it the more the merrier?

Should I expect to pay more for a book with more than one sig?

It is of course subjective based on a million things.  The book, the grade, the cost, the art, the sigs, etc.  These are my general rules.

- I'd probably max out at three sigs on any given book - writer, artist, inker (or possibly cover artist if different).  But I don't want the cover too cluttered either, so aesthetics matter.  

- the hierarchy matters, I'm less likely to get a book just signed by the inker or colorist, if its not already signed by the main artist.

- I'm much less likely to get a book signed by the 'creator' of the character/title if they didn't work on this specific book, unless it is Stan Lee, and even then only sparingly.  For example, I'm not trying to get Herb Trimpe sigs on any random Wolverine comic from 2007.  But also I wouldn't get Stan Lee on every effing marvel book like Darkhawk or Darth Vader or whatever.

- I would not mix creator sigs with actor sigs.  However for actor sigs, I wouldn't mind a bunch (certainly more than 3) of cast sigs on a book that is a tv show or movie.

Generally you would expect to pay more for more than one sig, how much more depends on who's signing and the book and the grade etc.

Agree with how revat commented.  That said, it is fun to have a book with many sigs (10 or more).

On 9/15/2021 at 4:11 PM, lostboys said:

Cool, cool.

I'm probably leaning toward a Spidey 300 signed by McFarlane. Would a book like that be better off having only his sig? I kind of want one with him and the writer.

FOr me, if I could afford it (or preferred to spend X amount of money that way), I'd go for artist and writer on that one (and not Stan Lee, as you will no doubt see plenty with him).  But if the price became to steep or I couldn't find an aesthetically please copy with both sigs, I'd be happy with just todd.

I've talked about my personal feelings on signing keys before (spoiler - don't like 'em), but for me personally, the only sig series books I'm interested in are ones with cool remarques or great sketches. I currently have 3 sig series books, and they're all either full sketches or remarques. I just feel like it's a less expensive way into collecting some original art without breaking the bank, and I like the uniqueness of them. But if I were to go the autograph route, I think I'd gravitate toward one book that has as many (all?) of the creators' signatures on the same book.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:11 PM, lostboys said:

Cool, cool.

I'm probably leaning toward a Spidey 300 signed by McFarlane. Would a book like that be better off having only his sig? I kind of want one with him and the writer.

Indeed it would, since he isn't signing very often, and as we know scarcity makes it more valuable. For instance, Stan Lee signed for something like 40 plus years, and had huge events all the time, hence his signature is quite common ( You will still get some who think his signature is the holy grail of signatures, but it's not), compared to someone who like Michael Turner who passed away in his prime at the young age of 35-36, or a real holy grail of signatures such as Bob Kane. 

Sure Stan Lee has signed a million autographs (like Mickey Mantle) two million want his signature and his signature was even more in demand after his passing and prices increased. People who don't know comics knew Stan Lee and he appeared in the Marvel flicks.

Nobody outside of die hard comic fans know who Michael Turner is and his signed books sell for a fraction. Saw a guy at a show last month sell them raw for twenty bucks. Same could be said of Dave Stevens.

Bill Finger signatures are a grail, not Kane.

Just throwing my opinion in the mix, just because I looooove giving my opinion.

I echo revat in their tastes.

Traditionally, I would only get: writers and artists on the book. 

Now, many times over the cover artist varies from the interior art. So both would be applicable to me. I would also potentially get a creator of a character, say, Chris Claremont on a Gambit limited series, even though he didn't write it. I'm also good for getting Stan Lee on anything Marvel.

Outside of that however, I struggle and usually won't want. I don't want any actor signatures and I am oddly fussy with creators not directly related to the character. Jim Shooter for instance, is everywhere on books, along with Louise Simonson. Not my taste.

I also hate some signatures with how they look, even though they are relevant on the book. Joe Rubinstein, Klaus Janson, and Francesco Mattina are examples of really ugly signatures that I have no interest in having, and will actively avoid books with their signatures on them.

The beauty of comics and especially signed comics, we all have different preferences and opinions and you should collect what you like. I love signed celebrity comics and that's me.

I agree with above. I will not collect signatures of anyone who is lazy about signing and gives out unappealing or shortened signatures.

My favorite artist is Adam Hughes and have no interest in his "AH!" signature and that goes double for Howard Chaykin and his lazy "H" signature. C'mon Howard!

That goes for celebrities who only sign their first name. Ugh.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:00 PM, Majestros said:

a real holy grail of signatures such as Bob Kane. 

I was able to get Kane's sig on a Dynamic Forces "Batman Archives Vol. 1" then a Jerry Robinson on a different copy of "Batman Archives Vol. 1". For some reason, I value the Robinson sig more than the Kane.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

My favorite artist is Adam Hughes and have no interest in his "AH!" signature and that goes double for Howard Chaykin and his lazy "H" signature. C'mon Howard!

My grand-niece is into Wonder Woman in a big way. She's 8. So, I bought her a signed Adam Hughes issue. That "AH" thing is a bugger. But his art is superlative.. And I get it. I imagine a lot of artists and celebrities are concerned about forgeries not only for their fans sake but their own sake. I know George Perez has a few different ways he signs. I bet none of them are the way he signs receipts or checks. Bernie Wrightson signed a half dozen different ways as well.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

Sure Stan Lee has signed a million autographs (like Mickey Mantle) two million want his signature and his signature was even more in demand after his passing and prices increased. People who don't know comics knew Stan Lee and he appeared in the Marvel flicks.

Nobody outside of die hard comic fans know who Michael Turner is and his signed books sell for a fraction. Saw a guy at a show last month sell them raw for twenty bucks. Same could be said of Dave Stevens.

Bill Finger signatures are a grail, not Kane.

Stan Lee is the god father of comics, no arguing that, but he was such a signature whore, you can find his signatures on DC books he had nothing to do with, and I'm good with people paying stupid money for something you can easily find 24/7 in almost every comic shop or online seller.

Michael Turner was one of the hottest artists while he was alive, nothing hardcore about knowing who he was, since he did variant covers for both marvel, and DC, and had one of the hottest independent comic books when he left main stream comics. Long term, you will see value in the scarcity of signatures, due to his early passing.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

The beauty of comics and especially signed comics, we all have different preferences and opinions and you should collect what you like.

I think this point in specific summarizes signature collecting perfectly. 

The key is to know what you like. 

And sometimes that takes time to figure out. Lord knows I’ve made collecting blunders in the past, trying to figure out what my true preferences are. 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:11 PM, lostboys said:

Cool, cool.

You're right in just wanting those two. They're both so instrumental in making the character work! I think that cover doesn't have too much open space for a signature so ideally I'd just want the Mcfarlane in silver ink right under spidey on the bottom right of the circle, Michelinie on the top right where there's some open space. Michelinie has angled it plenty of times in that area to fit as much as possible.