• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Baltimore Comic-Con
2 2

156 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2021 at 11:22 AM, Logan510 said:

It's not true. When I've gone to Baltimore I've found plenty of stuff to buy after the show has opened to the public. I've bought stuff on Sundays before leaving for the airport.

It's true a ton of stuff is sold before the public gets a chance, but not all the good stuff.

I think it really comes down to what is your definition of "good stuff".  I was at two cons outside Detroit this weekend and the first I couldn't get over there until the doors had opened to the public and it was a great buying con for me.  But I had to buy a grand worth of books to get a local collector to give me a 50% discount on his stuff or it would not have been a great show for me.  The 2nd show I got in really early and it was like a pack of wild animals attacking a wounded deer in terms of the dealers rummaging through all the long boxes hours before the show opened.  I did ok at that show but if I would have arrived late it would have been a bad buying show for me.  Really depends on who is there and if you only want the new hot book that is still sitting in the $2 boxes then you better get there early of it will be gone.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, 1Cool said:

I think it really comes down to what is your definition of "good stuff".  I was at two cons outside Detroit this weekend and the first I couldn't get over there until the doors had opened to the public and it was a great buying con for me.  But I had to buy a grand worth of books to get a local collector to give me a 50% discount on his stuff or it would not have been a great show for me.  The 2nd show I got in really early and it was like a pack of wild animals attacking a wounded deer in terms of the dealers rummaging through all the long boxes hours before the show opened.  I did ok at that show but if I would have arrived late it would have been a bad buying show for me.  Really depends on who is there and if you only want the new hot book that is still sitting in the $2 boxes then you better get there early of it will be gone.

I've been getting into shows early for years now and I always...always find good stuff every day during normal show hours. If you're willing to look, you can find stuff. 

On 10/11/2021 at 8:48 AM, Logan510 said:

I've been getting into shows early for years now and I always...always find good stuff every day during normal show hours. If you're willing to look, you can find stuff. 

Exactly. There is often real good deals overlooked in boxes. I also ask everybody for what I want. Often it isn’t out for a number of reasons. And there is almost one of “those guys” that most people overlook. 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:48 AM, Logan510 said:

I agree to an extent but like October said awhile ago - a good con becomes a great con depending if you are the first person to looks through the right long box.  I've looked at a box right after another guy looked through it and found some nice stuff but that was because the early guys tend to concentrate on the home run, low hanging fruit.  There are always deals to be had but I think we can all agree that your chances go way up if you get in early and look through boxes before the crowds.

Edited by 1Cool

On 10/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, 1Cool said:

I agree to an extent but like October said awhile ago - a good con becomes a great con depending if you are the first person to looks through the right long box.  I've looked at a box right after another guy looked through it and found some nice stuff but that was because the early guys tend to concentrate on the home run, low hanging fruit.  There are always deals to be had but I think we can all agree that your chances go way up if you get in early and look through boxes before the crowds.

That's a given. I'm just refuting that "all the good stuff is gone" before the con opens for regular hours.

This will be the third "bigger" show I have been to this year. I have focused more on filling runs and the odd off the wall key that is not hype driven this year. I have been able to find those at the last two shows. First day digging have been good on both I went to, although a couple dealers in Orlando held off having their boxes available day 1, their wall books were up and selling but they had sheets over the boxes. The crowds were much lighter on day one. I have a couple bigger books I would like to snag like SC4 but have given up on landing a deal at a show this year just due to how the market is, I have done better on CL and CC on those type books later in the year. I hope Baltimore has a nice selection of boxes to dig through as well as the typical wall book offerings. Pretty excited, this was the only weekend there were no UGA games so it worked out. 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:30 PM, PKJ said:

Although a couple dealers in Orlando held off having their boxes available day 1, their wall books were up and selling but they had sheets over the boxes.

This seems like a strange practice, and would be unfortunate for any people who were only attending the show the first day...

On 10/11/2021 at 10:33 PM, blazingbob said:

Getting in early,  Getting in late.

As a seller all I really care about is that it sells.

That was never is question. What about when you are buying? You do that before the show opens to the public, correct?

On 10/12/2021 at 9:01 AM, ygogolak said:

That was never is question. What about when you are buying? You do that before the show opens to the public, correct?

I do that on setup days.

And then when time permits I will go around during the show since not everything is up for sale.

Also some vendors frankly don't get in early enough before I have to go and setup my own booth.

I've bought plenty of good books days after shows have been open to the general public.

Maybe I should have said if you know what something can be bought and sold for it doesn't matter what time the show opens.

If your business model is based on you buying at shows or other dealers frankly you need a new business model.

Edited by blazingbob

I am somewhat afraid about what I will be able to afford this year given where prices are at. But I will enjoy myself no matter what. For any dealers setting up, if you have any golden age Frazetta covers that look like they were run over by a truck I would be interested. 

On 10/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, wombat said:

I am somewhat afraid about what I will be able to afford this year given where prices are at. But I will enjoy myself no matter what. For any dealers setting up, if you have any golden age Frazetta covers that look like they were run over by a truck I would be interested. 

Stop by the Cards, Comics, and Collectibles booth. I will have what you need.

On 10/17/2021 at 5:53 PM, Ron C. said:

FWIW, the people associated with the Miller signing/cancellation have been really good with communicating and responding to questions.

So I guess my question of "what about the rest of us?" sent to that email address which has not been responded to likely means it won't.