• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much more valuable are signature series books?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I know that there are many factors – scarcity of the autograph, etc. – but in a rough sense, how much would the autograph (CGC SS) of one of the creators, or a major ACTOR tied to the character in the movies, impact the value of a key book?

For example, if you had a Hulk #181, 7.0 (current average sale on gocollect, $7000), signed by Hugh Jackman, what would that do to the value of the book (if Jackman had made himself available to CGC)?

I know Stan signed everything, but, for example, there is a Suspense #39 CGC SS 7.0, signed by Stan, that sold at a comiclink auction last month for $22,572. But on gocollect it looks like a 7.0 (unsigned) should go for around $31,000.

Actually, now I’m seeing that the Suspense in question may not have sold for $22,500. That was the highest bid. Maybe it did not meet the reserve.

Anyway, I’m a long-time collector of Silver Age Marvels. I sold several key books about 5-6 years ago when I was getting married. I’m getting back into it now and I’m trying to reacclimate myself to everything.

Am I putting too much stock in these numbers on gocollect?

Really I guess I’m wondering about the impact of SS books on the value of the book. When I was collecting (and not looking to sell) I think I would’ve preferred a natural, unsigned book to something signed.

I’m doing some preliminary research on this right now but I figured some of you guys would know right off the bat.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Any book (not just SS books) are only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay you for it.  There really is no way to say the book will go up by whatever amount with a sig.

And just IMHO, I would never get a sig on a key book, not even Stan Lee.  The reason is SS books are not everyone's taste, so if you needed to re-sell it you would have a much smaller market to do so in.

It all really just depends on the book and the grade and the signer and luck

On 9/16/2021 at 1:41 PM, SuperTom said:

For example, if you had a Hulk #181, 7.0 (current average sale on gocollect, $7000), signed by Hugh Jackman, what would that do to the value of the book (if Jackman had made himself available to CGC)?

Possibly lower it. 

Hugh Jackman sign on a Hulk #181...

*shudder*

By all means, have people scribble on key books.  Makes the "virgin" ones harder to find.  

Sig collectors will pay a premium; others may find it a turn-off.  For instance, if I was on the hunt for a key or an issue to fill a "hole" in a run, I would NOT be looking for a signature series book - I would want a Universal to match the rest of my collection.  

My collection is pretty much 75% yellow and love the yellow, but even I find large books signed by actors a large turnoff.

AF15 signed by Tom Holland? Ugh. Even Hulk 181 signed by Jackman would make me cringe. 

I also cringe a tad when someone asks "how much will A be worth if B signs it?" as this has been further implored most recently with Roy Thomas. When I get a book signed, I always get a book that isn't a big dollar book and I always think of it as not an investment, but hoping when the time comes to sell, the item doesn't lose all of it's value. This is especially important as prices on these signers are going through the roof and every actor is north of two hundred now. 

I buy a lot of yellow and have no idea how someone can come up with a ratio of 1.35 as every signature and book is a unique situation.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

I buy a lot of yellow and have no idea how someone can come up with a ratio of 1.35 as every signature and book is a unique situation.

Agreed. 1.35 is ridiculous. By my math it's closer to 1.27.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:12 AM, Ryan. said:

On 9/17/2021 at 9:12 AM, Ryan. said:

1.23 is more like it.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, ignition719 said:

I do chuckle every time I see a "Stan Lee" signed random 90s book that he had zero to do with. Yes, he co-created Spider-Man but come on... having him sign ASM #361? Ridiculous. 

What about the collectors who are like "I am going to do something no one has thought about doing and getting a DC book signed!". There are more of them than you think. You can buy this on eBay for a tad more than $25,000.

s-l1600.jpg

Value is determined by how much someone is willing to pay. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I collect Sig Series by people that are associated with the comic, writers or artists directly or creators of the character. I have actively participated the past year+ for the CGC in house signature series opportunities and really appreciate being able to do so. 

Roundabout way of saying it may add value to others and detract from some but I think it helps in most cases. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:12 AM, Ryan. said:

I'll offer you 1.27 any day of the week and keep that sweet .8 in profit. 

Seriously though. For the example listed above (Hugh Jackman signing a 181). I can only find 1 cgc ss Hugh Jackman book for sale at a hyper-inflated ebay price (10k for a MP #72). I see that a triple signed Jackman/Stan Lee/Claremont Wolverine #1 88' 9.8 sold for 2300$ in 2020 which is about 4x universal which are selling ~$500. Just some guesses on value add for sigs Claremont on this book looks to add $200 Stan $600 and Jackman $800 and the triple signing $200. Obviously these are some guesses on value add and everyone can come up with something different and there are tons of other things that go into whether ss helps the book or hurts and different scenarios that can be thrown out.

All that being said I'd think that you could add about $1k to a 181 by having Jackman sign it, but it would be a tiny market (another point is this is today, tomorrow Hugh could be arrested and the value removed completely).

Honestly, it depends on the book and the person signing it.
There is no linear formula.
Personally speaking, I have paid (and offered / been turned down) a LOT for specific signatures because they are harder to get.
Run a comparison of 'hot' artists / writers on signed key books and unsigned in the same grade and you'll be able to develop your own $ value for that person's SS price increase.
(see below for quick comparison...)

Capture.JPG