• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vancouver Comic & Toy Show Sun. October 24, 2021 Pacific National Exhibition, BC, Canada

20 posts in this topic

Vancouver (BC) Comic and Toy Show returns Sunday October 24, 2021 to the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) at Hastings and Renfrew Streets at FULL capacity. Family fun at a comic book centric show (golden age to modern comics, mags, graphic novels, some artwork) plus toys, action figures, Funko Pop and cosplay too. Giant-size hourly door prizes of 3 x $100 gift cards and 3 x $50 gift cards plus more (Toy Traders warehouse bucks) to be handed out. 200 8 foot dealer's tables already sold. Non-wall vendor's tables at $90 each (plus GST) being wait-listed.

Adult admission $14. Tickets sold online via the PNE weblink. Extra marketing being done via PNE event contacts list. Masks are mandatory. All attendees and vendors over age 12 should have their second COVID-19 vaccine shot plus at least 10 days by Oct. 24 per BC Health guidelines that start that Sunday for indoor public trade shows.

FREE street parking. Paid PNE parking is about $13. Food trucks will be available.

For more info and independent press guest list updates, please visit Vancouver Comic Show.

gsx1.jpg.bbd2deb4d8ea0e63b713656a7f25580f.jpg

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, aardvark88 said:

There will be a few fresh vendors allowed in from the wait-list, as some previous vendors will not have their 2nd or 1st Covid-19 vaccination shot by Sunday Oct. 24, 2021.

Any idea if there will be any from down south of the border with some older less common books, if they are even allowed to cross the border now without having to go through a quarantine period?  ???

On 10/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if there will be any from down south of the border with some older less common books, if they are even allowed to cross the border now without having to go through a quarantine period?  ???

All I know is Big Pete declined his usual 5 dealer's tables since his retail sales and mail orders explode on the weekend. Who knows what the BC Health guidelines will be by Oct. 24, 2021? Seems to change weekly which makes it harder for cons to be planned 5-6 months out.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, let's hope that ... a few of the Eastern dealers ..., it's probably not worthwhile paying $14 or whatever the admission fee is to get into this upcoming show here.  :wishluck:

You can save up your $30 for Monday admission to the next big Expo in 2022. Think there may have been an Eastern vendor called something that rhymes with another dimension as their retail sticker prices seem to be from another dimension.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, aardvark88 said:

You can save up your $30 for Monday admission to the next big Expo in 2022. Think there may have been an Eastern vendor called something that rhymes with another dimension as their retail sticker prices seem to be from another dimension.

Isn't that the one where the non-comics dealer booths outnumbers the comic dealer booths by a ration of 20 to 1 or something like that.  :p

If that's the one, and since I am not interested in picking up any T-shirts, souvenir cups, or the likes, I guess that one there is also a no show for me then.  :(

On 10/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Isn't that the one where the non-comics dealer booths outnumber the comic dealer booths by a ration of 20 to 1. since I am not interested in picking up any T-shirts, souvenir cups, or the likes, I guess that one there is also a no show for me then.  :(

Dearest Lou,

Seems like u missed out on a decent Cloverdale Antiques and Collectibles show today. Nels restocked some raw 1940s jungle girl comics to 50s mixed humor comics after his Comic-arama. Garloo brought out some nice silver to 1990 comics from the retirement collection they bought en masse pre-Covid-19. FREE parking but one would need to pay a lofty $5 for admission to 2 halls of collectibles.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, aardvark88 said:

Garloo brought out some nice silver to 1990 comics from the retirement collection they bought en masse pre-Covid-19. FREE parking but one would need to pay a lofty $5 for admission to 2 halls of collectibles.

Not so much into the jungle girls since there are just so many of them and after awhile, they all tend to look pretty much the same to me. (shrug)

Now as for the retirement collection, that does pique my interest a bit.  Did you see anything nice and priced reasonable enough that you decided to take a shot at them for your own collection or for future resale?  hm

On 10/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, lou_fine said:

(shrug)

Now as for the retirement collection.  Did you see anything nice and priced reasonable enough that you decided to take a shot at them for your own collection or for future resale?  hm

Yes. I bought his highest grade remaining silver age Marvel: raw graded 9.6 white pages that I would grade 9.2 white pages.

On 10/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, aardvark88 said:
On 10/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Did you see anything nice and priced reasonable enough that you decided to take a shot at them for your own collection or for future resale?  hm

Yes. I bought his highest grade remaining silver age Marvel: raw graded 9.6 white pages that I would grade 9.2 white pages.

Well, if it's his remaining ones, then hopefully he was astute enough to leave the best for the end (e.g. AF 15 and the other early keys or at least the later Silver Surfer issues from '68), especially in a rising market like what the SA Marvels have experienced during the past 3 decades.  hm

Hope you didn't missed the part that I have now highlighted in bold for you. :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, lou_fine said:

then hopefully he was astute enough to leave the best for the end (e.g. AF 15 and the other early keys or at least the later Silver Surfer issues from '68), especially in a rising market like what the SA Marvels have experienced during the past 3 decades.  hm:bigsmile:

Of course not. Biggest keys and semi-keys got scooped from the retirement collection as Covid started.

PNE comic Show update * bump *:

Paid parking went up to $15 but you get access to 2 food trucks. There will be 6 ATM's available, as most collector-fans never bring enough cash or may not be set up for e-transfer. Vendors and staff will have access to free wi-fi; useful if running cr cards through Square. $100 gift certificate door prizes will be drawn at 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. Show closes at 5 p.m. rather than previous 6 p.m. PST. I will be digging through another estate collection next week which has 1966 collectibles.

* final bump* as there are too many 'Error 502' on this forum.

There will be $50 gift certificate draws this Sunday October 24/21 at noon, 1 pm and 2 pm. Hope to see you all at the PNE show: :jaws: the biggest and best Comic-centric show in Vancouver for year 2021.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, aardvark88 said:

Garloo brought out some nice silver to 1990 comics from the retirement collection they bought en masse pre-Covid-19.

Well, let's see what he has left although if they are simply non-key mid-run ho hum Marvels, not much to see as they are pretty much everywhere.  zzz

Better to see something like that Mister Mystery 6 that you was able to snagged just as I was about to asked to take a look at it during one of the Heritage Hall conventions the other year.  Or even better yet, an uber HG copy of a Seven Seas book that Ferd had under his table when he was passing through town a few summers ago.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 10/23/2021 at 8:10 PM, lou_fine said:

better yet, an uber HG copy of a Seven Seas book that Ferd had under his table when he was passing through town a few summers ago.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Ferd still keeps his best comics under his table during dealer set up. Evan /CdnComics.net was able to snag a scarce Baker comic I never saw or heard of before. I did some decent comic trades with Wpg Ferd. Was surprised some different/new vendors drove in to Vancouver from Calgary, Keremeos, Nanaimo that I did not have a chance to peruse, as I was swamped at my table until 4:45 pm since the show closed at 5 p.m.

Record breaking attendance for a PNE Forum comicon. There was still a line up outside at 1 p.m. with fans patiently trying to get in and show their Covid QR code. All six (6) ATM's ran out of ca$h. 1 Victoria dealer said it was 'raining $$ at his booth.'

My retail sales were double what I expected. Was able to flip a GA Batman #23 (Joker) that I traded for from a relatively young walk-in collector carrying GA which was probably from his parent's. I offered more than Wpg Ferd.

Hey Allan;

Greatly appreciate your report on the Vancouver Comic Con here and glad to hear that you did well with both your purchases and sales.  :applause:

Looks like I missed most of the early action since I was busy with the family and didn't get to the con until after 3 PM.  Did noticed a few "new" dealers that I haven't seen and talked to one who had what seem like his personal collection of HG books there from the BA and up, including some of them that were slabbed.  Nice to see and definitely more interesting than the usual current hot books like Spidey 361 and the other common movie related hype books which almost every other dealer there had in multiples and trying to sell at top dollar.  :p

Saw Ferd as I was going out the door and asked him for his box with the "good books" that he always has under his table in previous cons.  Not there this time as it was just a covered box on top of his table this time and unfortunately no HG books in there as they were mostly lower to mid-grade romance books.  He stated that it was pretty much impossible to get the nicer quality GA books as I assume they must all be targeted towards the major auction houses nowadays.  :frown:

Still, definitely nice to just walk around the convention floor after being shut out from them for some 18 months.  Especially since it gives you a false sense of paper wealth to see some dealers asking seemingly silly money for relatively common so-called hot books which already have thousands, if not tens of thousands slabbed in high grade already.  :bigsmile:

On 10/26/2021 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

definitely nice to just walk around the convention floor after being shut out from them for some 18 months.  Especially since it gives you a false sense of paper wealth to see some dealers asking seemingly silly money for relatively common so-called hot books which already have thousands, if not tens of thousands slabbed in high grade already.  :bigsmile:

Heard that 1 dealer with 3 non-wall tables sold over $15k of comics, mags, art. No pics of @greggy or Thanos88 here as they left for lunch. Click to enlarge pics great Vancouver Comic Show Oct, 2021.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Greatly appreciate your report on the Vancouver Comic Con here and glad to hear that you did well with both your purchases and sales.  :applause:  :bigsmile:

Brief history of Vancouver Comic Con leading to the Oct. 24, 2021 22k square feet event: