• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will be graded a NG or green label?

12 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 9:21 PM, B2D327 said:

If the book is otherwise complete it will get a green label. You can request to be graded as a blue label only and will receive the lower grade allowed with the flaw noted

Why would it default to a green label?  I would think you’d have to ask that the book be given a qualified label, otherwise it would automatically be graded blue with a grade deduction for the missing piece.

On 9/17/2021 at 1:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why would it default to a green label?  I would think you’d have to ask that the book be given a qualified label, otherwise it would automatically be graded blue with a grade deduction for the missing piece.

I believe the missing piece defaults to a green label as the submissions I’ve seen with pieces missing from the interior (ie: value stamps, coupon cut outs, panels, etc. not /affecting story) because the flaw is not evident from the slabbed cover. This may be why the universal blue must be requested. 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, B2D327 said:

I believe the missing piece defaults to a green label as the submissions I’ve seen with pieces missing from the interior (ie: value stamps, coupon cut outs, panels, etc. not /affecting story) because the flaw is not evident from the slabbed cover. This may be why the universal blue must be requested. 

You’re probably right.   Once upon a time CGC would put label notes on the blue label, but I guess those days are long past. :preach:

On 9/17/2021 at 2:14 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The book is usually deemed INCOMPLETE if something is missing (such as a coupon or page). A rip through a page (or pages) will generally just be factored into the grade and is often (but not always) noted on the label...

In the case above, I believe there's a large enough piece missing for the book to be designated incomplete, so a typical course of action would be to Qualify it and note it on the label (as long as there are no other egregious flaws). So the Qualified label would usually read something like this:  "LARGE PIECE MISSING FROM PAGE 12, AFFECTS STORY. INCOMPLETE." 

Edited by The Lions Den

As long as your copy has a cover and most of the interior, it will not receive the NG designation.  Incomplete books that are otherwise 3.5 VG- or lower should receive a Universal (Blue Label) Grade.  Incomplete books that are otherwise 4.5 VG+ and higher are eligible to receive Qualified (Green Label) Grades.  Incomplete books that are otherwise 4.0 VG can go either way, depending on the grader's discretion.  At least this was CGC's policy as of August 11, 2018, as shared by one of CGC's most helpful graders, BradleyX2.  :foryou:

On 9/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, zzutak said:

As long as your copy has a cover and most of the interior, it will not receive the NG designation.  Incomplete books that are otherwise 3.5 VG- or lower should receive a Universal (Blue Label) Grade.  Incomplete books that are otherwise 4.5 VG+ and higher are eligible to receive Qualified (Green Label) Grades.  Incomplete books that are otherwise 4.0 VG can go either way, depending on the grader's discretion.  At least this was CGC's policy as of August 11, 2018, as shared by one of CGC's most helpful graders, BradleyX2.  :foryou:

So I guess the next logical question becomes...  If a 4.0 is given a Qualified label because "Page 12 missing, does NOT affect story", then if you ask to relabel to Universal what does the grade become?   And does that mean a 4.5 or higher Qualified is not eligible for relabel?

Edited by Figment