• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fred Ray Superman Salutes art
1 1

6 posts in this topic

A very cool Fred Ray piece from 1951 just went up for auction. It was featured in Superman Salutes The Bicentennial oversized comic book. Fred Ray was not just a great comic book artist. He was a highly trained and well-respected fine artist from Harrisburg, Pa. If you ever have time to crawl into a rabbit hole, check out the history of artists who trained in the eastern Pennsylvania area from the late 1800's to the mid 1900's. It's like a who's who of American art! Ray studied under, worked beside and was colleagues with some of the greatest artists in American history. His historic pieces are in museums all over the world. He's always been one of my favorites. If you own one of his pieces, please feel welcome to show it off here. I always enjoy seeing his art.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/fred-ray-valley-forge-original-art-ray-1951-/a/322138-49197.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

On 9/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, queenmary said:

Very nice! Is it for sale?

Oh, no, this is just part of my personal collection.  Wanted to buy and sale/trade posts are best handled in the Marketplace and through personal messages

I got this through eBay, iirc, and gifted it to my father-in-law who was a Civil War buff.  When he passed away, I was fortunate to have it returned to me from his estate as a gift returned to sender.  Glad you like it, David

Edited by aokartman
spelling