• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pat Broderick Panel Page Story Page Sets new Record?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, Rick2you2 said:

...but not brilliant.

Pat Broderick = definitely not brilliant.

Further, it's been many years and I wasn't directly involved but there was something on Comicart-L about him taking money for commissions, from not just one guy either, and never delivering. That's not only not brilliant but potentially criminal and also a bit archaic ;) 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:26 PM, captain_em said:

You strike me as a "gentlemanly journeyman" who "Benignly Lowballs" , "Benignly Underestimates" , "Benignly Undervalues" , "Benignly Underreckons" and "Benignly Underreports". 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftenor.com%2Fsearch%2Fdicaprio-django-gifs&psig=AOvVaw2kbMFYH6EnSaD2GaBbQ2-e&ust=1632014692271000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAgQjRxqFwoTCJiYhtKuh_MCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

I don’t understand your failure to realize I am not accusing Broderick of shoddy work. There is no such thing as a “gentlemanly journeyman”. The word journeyman is most commonly used today in the construction trades—not exactly gentlemanly— to refer to members who are fully capable at performing their jobs, but do not have the additional certification to run their own business. So, after apprenticeships, you have, for example, journeyman plumbers and then master plumbers. The masters are allowed to run their own companies and supervise journeymen. Only about 5-10% of the plumbers in NJ are master plumbers, and at most, that’s probably a fair ratio as applied to artists for the Big 2. I couldn’t even guess at it for the independents.

Broderick’s work is perfectly adequate for his tasks. Like any artist, he is sometimes capable of really good, or bad days. But, I would not put in him the same league as, say, Chaykin, or Sienk, or Adams, or quite a few others. And if you disagree, well, there is no accounting for taste. But just go to Comic Art Tracker and run his name for prices. See where most of them fall, like for WW. If you are really lucky, you will find some bargain prices on Chaykin’s work (who also had his share of off-days and odd projects) which has been missed. Or almost anything by Tom Mandrake who is almost always overlooked.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:51 AM, Rick2you2 said:

But, it is a nicely drawn arrow.

I actually like the whole thing.

Never have so many lines been drawn without being associated with an Image artist :) 

But MOKF artists? Well for the 100yard dash there's Gulacy, Zeck, Day (in that order too) and a very later finisher finally limping in to finish...Who Cares.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, vodou said:

I actually like the whole thing.

Never have so many lines been drawn without being associated with an Image artist :) 

But MOKF artists? Well for the 100yard dash there's Gulacy, Zeck, Day (in that order too) and a very later finisher finally limping in to finish...Who Cares.

I agree with you, actually, it is a pretty nice page. My main criticism is that it is too cluttered with drawing—white space can add a lot through emphasis. But, the writer has to share at least some, if not the bulk, of the criticism if this were --script-based art. Since it’s Marvel, the art may have come first. If that’s the case, Broderick gets more criticism. The “arrow” thing is all on Broderick. He did the layout, so why the need to cheat with an arrow? Still and all, it’s a good journeyman effort with some nice line work. The line work is also better than in his Fury of Firestorm issue I didn’t like.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 9/17/2021 at 8:02 PM, Rick2you2 said:

About 3 years ago. The story itself was eh, while the artwork was a gentleman’s C. It was some of earlier work, however, but he looks like he’s improved to a B.

Broderick's early work was his best imo. I first noticed him in Atlas Comics, where he did a beautiful back up featuring The Dark Avenger, I think it may have been inked by Terry Austin. He then did a few inside cover illos in the Marvel B & W Magazine line and some work on Iron Fist. Really nice stuff. I thought the Micronauts and Firestorm stuff suffered from poor inker matches.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:42 PM, boomtown said:

I thought the Micronauts and Firestorm stuff suffered from poor inker matches.

The Micronauts issues inked by Armando Gil were some of my favourite stuff by Broderick, but I lost interest once Danny Bulanadi replaced Gil.  I agree that Rodin Rodriguez was a poor fit on Fury of Firestorm.

On 9/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

I think Broderick had stopped drawing Fury of Firestorm by the time the Phantom Stranger showed up. FOF #32 was a fill-in pencilled and inked by Alan Kupperberg.

Well, that’s embarrassing. You were right.

That doesn’t change my views on Broderick, however.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:51 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

The Micronauts issues inked by Armando Gil were some of my favourite stuff by Broderick, but I lost interest once Danny Bulanadi replaced Gil.  I agree that Rodin Rodriguez was a poor fit on Fury of Firestorm.

Yeah, I agree, the Bulanadi stuff was what I was thinking of. Loved Gil on the Kazar stuff also.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:51 PM, captain_em said:

Your consignment?

On 9/16/2021 at 10:51 PM, captain_em said:

Wow! That is some amazing art! It reminds me of those artists from the early Grendle issues. The Panzer brothers? Something like that I think.