• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHERE'S WALDOMO?: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD
2 2

92 posts in this topic

Lighthouses typically have a brick structure, but there are some block/concrete construction. They usually only have small viewing windows for sighting and there are a few with viewing platforms below the actual light. They do not typically have larger open areas for wind to catch. The blocks are curved. 

Minots_27thCourse_Aug3_1859_na.jpg.ce397f65171ed5ccfb5fbfad1e2148c0.jpgminots_ledge_light.jpg.9096e6605d4e7981a9adca9047c85383.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 9/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

Thank you so much for hosting this contest and providing us with an entertaining diversion!  I will choose

option 4, because I am in need of some supplies.  I will PM you shortly.  Thanks again!  :foryou:

Thanks for playing and I'm glad you and others had fun.  

I had a feeling prize option #4 would be the popular one.  Those things are hard to get right now. lol

As I mentioned in PM.....I will get them sent out to you this week.

And a shameless plug.....my buddy is thinking about letting me sell the rest of his Mylites2/Full-Back stock for him on the forum.  If anyone is interested, let me know at this link so I'll know if it's worth the hassle or not.

Now, a big round of applause for Flee. :golfclap:

Excellent deductive reasoning......I figured I'd have to post at least one or two more picture/rhyme clues before anyone would even begin to have a guess where I was hiding.

Although, I am a little disappointed that nobody complemented the striped Waldo shirt I was wearing in the completed puzzle picture I posted.  I go to the trouble of dressing up for you people and all you care about is seeing me naked. (tsk)

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/20/2021 at 6:20 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Thanks for playing and I'm glad you and others had fun.  

I had a feeling prize option #4 would be the popular one.  Those things are hard to get right now. lol

As I mentioned in PM.....I will get them sent out to you this week.

And a shameless plug.....my buddy is thinking about letting me sell the rest of his Mylites2/Full-Back stock for him on the forum.  If anyone is interested, let me know at this link so I'll know if it's worth the hassle or not.

Now, a big round of applause for Flee. :golfclap:

Excellent deductive reasoning......I figured I'd have to post at least one or two more picture/rhyme clues before anyone would even begin to have a guess where I was hiding.

Although, I am a little disappointed that nobody complemented the striped Waldo shirt I was wearing in the completed puzzle picture I posted.  I go to the trouble of dressing up for you people and all you care about is seeing me naked. (tsk)

Congratulations Flee!:golfclap:

Thank you again for hosting this contest.  

Clue Rundown

If you have any questions after reading this, post them and I'll do my best to answer. 

First thing......even though it could have been......changing the color of the letters in the word "CLUE" had nothing to do with the game.  I simply went back and made the letters larger and alternated from red and blue to make them stand out better and be more visible.  The red and blue are the colors typically used in the Where's Waldo logo.

Each picture I was going to use (I had at least two more) was going to be significant in its location and also what was included in the picture itself, which I will explain below.  

Each rhyme clue was also going to have at least one line that was significant......along with other lines of complete gibberish.lol

CLUE #3

1126256068_(1)9.2Inch.jpg.2b74651c51a0c9d8f92af0b3ac620465.jpg

Follow me, if you think you can
It matters not, if woman or man
Where I am hiding, you'll have to find
Put down your phone, and use your mind

The only line that has any significance above is the one in red.  I was thinking people would assume the me....was actually "me" and might miss this clue.  But the waterway in the distance is actually the mouth (end) of the River Thames.....where it dumps into the Thames Estuary and the North Sea.  So, there was actually enough in this first clue to figure out where I might be hiding if you ignored the gibberish

Also, Flee may be correct in his guess that this picture is of the WWII era searchlight emplacement in Shoeburyness England.....as it does look like this. 

However.....I got the actual picture just slightly south and west from that location along the shore at the 9.2 inch gun emplacement location.  If you go to that location.....indicated on the map below......and then scroll through the "related" pictures for it, you'll see the one from the contest (which I had cropped slightly).

1492338988_(1)9.2InchMap.thumb.jpg.ec1863a9935bdbcce0aaf3ec98db2d11.jpg

CLUE #8

1921484484_(2)Eye(a).jpg.d2d6333e698aef9c09e0cd0a5345f283.jpg

This landmark was built, and named for your eyes
It grew from small, to bigger in size (that's what she said)
You might miss the clues, if you so much as blink
To solve the riddle, you really must think

As before.....the only line that has any significance above is the one in red.  And again, it's not referring to the London Eye.....but the River Thames that you can see in the background towards the bottom right.  The London Eye....other than it's location further inland along the river.....has nothing to do with solving the riddle.  The original picture I found at this location in Google Maps had way too much of the river showing and I did not want to make it that obvious.....so I did a fair bit of cropping from the bottom of the image.  Side note:  All the pictures I used or was going to use were taken from Google Maps.

UNUSED PICTURE CLUE #1

BigBen.jpg.7b16a51c82efcf1e7a7a29dc7434d748.jpg

You can rack your brain, or ask a friend
Everything must have, a beginning and end
One you've seen, and the other you seek
It shouldn't be hard, for a comic book geek

This was likely going to be the next picture used in the contest.  Although I probably would have tweaked the riddle rhyme that goes along with it, as I felt that the relevant portion (in red) was being way too obvious.  The significance of the picture being that it was slightly further upstream on the river from the London Eye and I was, once again, showing a small portion of the river in the picture.

UNUSED PICTURE CLUE #2

53921028_(9)WhiteHart.thumb.jpg.24918ea92150285fa66e64e12a73c69d.jpg

The food here is tasty, that much is known
The clues you need, have already been shown
You'll use your mouth, to take the food in
Or
try to avoid it, if you want to win

This was probably going to be the fourth and possibly last picture/rhyme clue in the contest....and I was going to try to get more obvious here with more relevant information in the rhyme if nobody had solved it yet.  The relevant hints are again in red.  The first being here.  I made sure the business name was visible....so someone could actually go to the location to look around.  If they did that, then the next line would be relevant......The clues you need, have already been shown.  If someone explored the area around the pub/restaurant, they would notice that the small ditch/stream next to it......is actually the River Thames not too far from its source (see map below).  The mention of the word mouth would have been referring to a rivers mouth.......and try to avoid it, if you want to win.....would be the hint to go as far away from the rivers mouth as you can to win.....which would be its source.  I had to trim quite a bit from the bottom of the picture itself, as too much of the river was showing and was way too obvious.

1896000039_(10)WhiteHartMap.thumb.jpg.30ccfb9628dd8bc3fc90499ba9a3095b.jpg

At this point....if there was still no solution.....then I was going to have to face the cold hard facts that I'm surrounded by obliviots (you'll have to figure out which two words I jammed together to make that one.......AND NO, I'M NOT GIVING YOU ANY CLUES).

I would have then just said to hell with it and posted the following rhyme and shut my computer off:

If you're having trouble, you're not alone
I'll try to help, and throw you a bone (that's what he said)
Small things start out, relatively weak
And even the mighty, must start as the meek
To get to the finish, you must locate its birth
The thing you must follow, covers most of the earth

And....if STILL no solution after that....I would have awarded the prizes to myself and found smarter people on the internet to hang out with. :baiting:

Edited by Domo Arigato

Also....if anyone is wondering how THIS could be the official source of the River Thames (which is disputed by some, who say it should be Seven Springs).

The official source (where the small pile of rocks are in the picture) doesn't flow year round.   This picture was obviously taken when it was dry.  During the wet season, or after a rainfall, the spring can come to life and start flowing.  Below it, I've included a picture of it when it was flowing.  The stone marker is just that.....a memorial stone with the following inscription written on it:

The Conservators of the River Thames
1857 – 1974
This stone was placed here to mark the
Source of the River Thames

Waldomo20b.thumb.jpg.8e4fbd896bac82382a16c43bfc62e9c5.jpg

Wet.thumb.jpg.d85a8c31d0dc28373a5422f671f00e92.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, bronze_rules said:

BTW. I find it fascinating you tour places on google maps. I could see getting lost in that. I never even knew you could go inside a lighthouse from there.

I don't think I've done it as much as him, but this is how I came up with the idea for this game a couple of years back.  I think I had just read a news article that mentioned one of the royal locations (Buckingham Palace possibly).  So, to kill some time, I decided to check it and other royal locations out in London on Google Maps.  Had clicked around for a while checking them out.....along with other various landmarks and bridges in London.  And, obviously, the River Thames is a large natural landmark that runs through the city.  So it got me to thinking......that's a big river......but it has to start somewhere......and, since I had more time to kill, I wanted to know where.  

I began following the river west out of London and checking out various spots (pubs, restaurants, locks, and other landmarks) along the way.  It's a long, winding river that obviously gets progressively smaller as you go, so it took some time.  Finally, I reached the end and located the official source.  Thought it was cool that this little spot was the official source of the huge river, and that it might make for a good Where's Waldo style of game.  Put it on the backburner until I recently decided to give it a try to see if it was any fun.....and I did have a lot of fun putting it together.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:48 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

Also, during the dry season, the third Saturday of each month, Harley brings his "B" stock

for those in the area. 

Wheres-Harley.jpg

You left out Greggy box diving.  :sumo:

20210922_103908.thumb.jpg.a61cfe6578436259dc8168f9205df474.jpg

I received the contest prize Mylars and Fullbacks in the mail already. Thanks again Domo for the fun contest! In the note he attached in the package he indicated that this was the first "Where's Waldomo" contest. So maybe more to come? :wishluck:

On 9/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

I received the contest prize Mylars and Fullbacks in the mail already. Thanks again Domo for the fun contest! 

You're welcome.....and glad you had fun! (thumbsu

On 9/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

In the note he attached in the package he indicated that this was the first "Where's Waldomo" contest. So maybe more to come? :wishluck:

hm