• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita Jr Art Rep
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Spencer is good at responding to emails. That said, the only time I have ever found anything he actually had in stock was when I spoke with an artist who had just shipped him some art and managed to buy before it was even listed. That was in 2014/2015. If it’s something he hasn’t put on the site, you may be good.

He does throw out the “I don’t have time to check” line a lot more these days, which strikes me as strange for someone with such strong competition from other art reps. Why leave a deal on the table?

On 9/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, vodou said:

Maybe because he's The Artist's Choice instead of The Collectors Choice? ( :( )

Completely and whole-heartedly agree with this. At this point, I can’t fathom why artists would be repped by spencer. They’re basically losing (or delaying the process of making) money. When an art rep updates they’re site annually or longer, it basically says I got better things to do.

Edited by p41981
Spelling error

I gave up on trying to by art from Spencer after 2 different attempts. I requested a page he had for sale on his site. He responded pretty soon on one inquiry, on the other I think I had to email him again. Both times, he said he would have to check on the art to see if he still had it. I kid you not, each time it was 3-6 months before he got back to me. By that point I no longer had the funds for those pages, and was not interested anymore anyways after being left hanging for so long. I mean, I'm a very busy engineer that project manages multiple projects and have crazy deadlines and have to get out a lot of work. Someone taking months to get back to me about comic art that they either have or don't have that I am trying to buy seems....ridiculous. I don't see how the artists he reps allow this to go on. Maybe they don't know, or maybe don't care? I would think they would sell 10X more pages if they were repped by someone who advertised their stuff, had a list of what they had, and responded quickly and professionally. 

I'm not "piling on" or defending Spencer but some of the sentiments in this topic are not breaking new ground.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/474291-repped-artist-websites-best-worst/#comments

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/464513-anyone-have-experience-buying-art-from-the-artists-choice/?tab=comments#comment-11056107

Edited by Will_K

On 9/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, Will_K said:

it's a requirement in the OA hobby to reignite the discussion of what a dumpster-fire Spencer's website and general business model is.  This has been happening for at least a decade. We should start putting episode numbers on them.  The only thing that rivals that is when is Mark Schultz going to put out another issue of Xenozoic Tales.  (it's only been 25 years, and the last discussion I heard was that the art was done, it will be "soon" Riiiiight) But Spencer's site is only slightly less dated than Xenozoic Tales #14 from 1996. Not much though.  

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 9/23/2021 at 4:56 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

it's a requirement in the OA hobby to reignite the discussion of what a dumpster-fire Spencer's website and general business model is.  This has been happening for at least a decade. We should start putting episode numbers on them.  The only thing that rivals that is when is Mark Schultz going to put out another issue of Xenozoic Tales.  (it's only been 25 years, and the last discussion I heard was that the art was done, it will be "soon" Riiiiight) But Spencer's site is only slightly less dated than Xenozoic Tales #14 from 1996. Not much though.  

Wasn't aware of the Xenozoic tales fiasco. Sounds like the much delayed return of Gaiman and Buckingham to finish their Miracleman run from 20 years ago. So far all we got was nicely recolored versions of most of the original comics, but still nothing new. Didn't even get the recolored (or possibly redrawn according to Buckingham) versions of issue 23 and 24, which were the last issues released. I held on to hope for a few years that we would indeed get the completion of Silver Age, and also get to finally see the conclusion in Dark Age, but after 6+ years...I'm losing hope. Similarly, I had heard the art was done on some or most of the Silver Age issues.