• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's the beef?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I used to wake up every morning and check my email for the daily comicarttracker update. Scroll through the list of new goodies comicarttracker had found for me on various sites. But it's been a while since comicarttacker has compiled anything other than a long list of lackluster Ebay auctions. Where's the art???

Assuming, dealers embracing the social media/dueling dealers model and saving the inventory for live streaming? Also, maybe collectors turning to auction houses to try and catch lighting in a bottle because we all know a dealer cant offer you "market value" if they need to turn around and sell to make their own margins?

Am I wrong?

Stefanomjr: 👍 I’m with you. I am not even checking comicarttracker anymore. You said it all.

RBerman: 👍 That tactic has long been used by some dealers to show the public what they missed out on and make them salivate for more. I prefer seeing that cleared off or moved to a recently sold page that can be checked away from the main sales page. Also prices (sold) that disappear and are unrecoverable do little to help the public determine FMV. It’s already a struggle as with dealers SOLD can mean:

• All or partial trade

• Sold but at a lesser price then what the sticker showed

On CAF or other sites where pages are offered for sale you’ll also see:

• Not really sold at all but listed at a high price that is passed on, taken down and buried in the try again at auction or in two years portfolio, and promoted as SOLD to whet the appetite of collectors who missed out on an item they thought was priced too high(it wasn’t) so when that same page or related page hit the market again for round two

• the resistance is penetrated for higher pricing 

• a new FMV is created out of smoke and mirrors

☹️ pardon that tangent. To your point;

New Art should be available art and sold art should be moved within a week tops (I’m being generous).

Now I’m certainly not telling the dealers what to do. It’s just my preference. I understand that there is value to showing the public ‘look at me I just sold a hot/valuable/hard to get piece of art.’

Promotion.

But clutter is clutter when it’s no longer available to buy. The less I have to wade through the happier I am.

On 9/19/2021 at 5:39 PM, grapeape said:

RBerman: 👍 That tactic has long been used by some dealers to show the public what they missed out on and make them salivate for more. I prefer seeing that cleared off or moved to a recently sold page that can be checked away from the main sales page. Also prices (sold) that disappear and are unrecoverable do little to help the public determine FMV. It’s already a struggle as with dealers SOLD can mean:

In this case it's better because you can potentially see what prices they sold for on youtube. :)

On 9/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, Stefanomjr said:

I used to wake up every morning and check my email for the daily comicarttracker update. Scroll through the list of new goodies comicarttracker had found for me on various sites. But it's been a while since comicarttacker has compiled anything other than a long list of lackluster Ebay auctions. Where's the art???

Assuming, dealers embracing the social media/dueling dealers model and saving the inventory for live streaming? Also, maybe collectors turning to auction houses to try and catch lighting in a bottle because we all know a dealer cant offer you "market value" if they need to turn around and sell to make their own margins?

Am I wrong?

No, you aren’t wrong, but chicken has its advantages. It’s healthier, lower priced, and comes with its own handles.

Stop looking at the old nostalgia-based pieces. The newer ones can have wonderful dynamics and fresh lines, are cheaper, and you could make a connection with an up and coming artist. 

“If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.”

On 9/20/2021 at 5:12 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when I see a dealer listing something as “sold” on Dueling Dealers? It seems to be saying “I beat you to it by buying this piece before you, and now, you have to pay me extra profit if you still want to buy.”

I figured it meant that this was a piece they just sold on Dueling Dealers, and thus it's not available for purchase. Not a piece they just bought on Dueling dealers and want to flip to you.

Bechara recently mentioned in an email that he had restarted his "New Art Friday" web site updates, which I assume means that he too had stopped listing new art for a while, because he was saving it for the Dealers broadcast.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:48 AM, RBerman said:

I figured it meant that this was a piece they just sold on Dueling Dealers, and thus it's not available for purchase. Not a piece they just bought on Dueling dealers and want to flip to you.

Bechara recently mentioned in an email that he had restarted his "New Art Friday" web site updates, which I assume means that he too had stopped listing new art for a while, because he was saving it for the Dealers broadcast.

Then why would it be listed for the first time in Comic Art Tracker? Or, did I miss a prior listing?

On 9/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Then why would it be listed for the first time in Comic Art Tracker? Or, did I miss a prior listing?

Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps the piece in question was circulating privately, or held without sale for a long time, so that it has no prior internet footprint. I suspect there are a lot of pages in that boat.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I believe that Romitaman lists all of his DDOCA offerings on CAF the following day under the art for sale tab, including the pieces that were sold on DDOCA the night before.  These include a "sold on DDOCA" in the title/description.  If Comic Art Tracker picks up all of the new listings from CAF, it probably includes these "sold" items.  

On Thursdays, on Comic Art Live (youtube), Bill Cox will cover the top sellers and top sales for the week.  "Top sellers"... among the web sites that are managed by Bill.  This is actually a couple dozen web sites, I think the latest is Catskill Comics.  For example, as a premium member, when you use the keyword search and it turns up items on certain dealer web sites, these web sites are managed by Bill. 

Maybe adding previously sold art on their web sites might be the easiest way for dealers to record their own sales.  That might be a reason why newly listed items on the web site are already marked as "sold".  For example, I bought a piece that did not appear on the dealer's web site (or on Dueling Dealers, etc) but I know it was part of Bill's coverage.

Edited by Will_K

On 9/20/2021 at 3:39 PM, Will_K said:

On Thursdays, on Comic Art Live (youtube), Bill Cox will cover the top sellers and top sales for the week.  "Top sellers"... among the web sites that are managed by Bill.  This is actually a couple dozen web sites, I think the latest is Catskill Comics.  For example, as a premium member, when you use the keyword search and it turns up items on certain dealer web sites, these web sites are managed by Bill. 

Maybe adding previously sold art on their web sites might be the easiest way for dealers to record their own sales.  That might be a reason why newly listed items on the web site are already marked as "sold".  For example, I bought a piece that did not appear on the dealer's web site (or on Dueling Dealers, etc) but I know it was part of Bill's coverage.

My site is not included in the “top sellers” of the week, which I prefer.