• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's the beef?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Rick2you2 said:

The unfortunate problem with keyword searches is that they assume the keyword was “key” to the person writing the description, he/she, could type, and also knew how to spell. I once picked up a nice bit of art which others may have missed where the entry clerk had mistakenly entered a character’s name as “Phantom Strangler” (which actually sounds like a great potential character). Since I sometimes search for the Phantom, I got lucky. Looking for something which is activity-based, like Alex’s collection of arm-wrestling characters (although he gets commissions) is a similar problem. Or, just group shots without identifying individuals.

Of course you're right, there is no miracle: if the description is poor / wrong / misspelled / miscategorized, ComicArtTracker may not show you the art - and it can give you some opportunities of you spot them. If sellers don't want to make any effort to give their art the best chance to sell, what can I do? I could automatically accept some error margin when matching keywords, but then I would receive messages every day to tell me that CAT is a because they receive wrong matches (I already do receive such messages, but not everyday ^^).

Sometimes when you know that it happens, you may choose a more "resilient" keyword - that's what I do for Bill Sienkiewicz by looking for any word starting with "sienk". It means that you also accepts to get more false positive to not miss anything (like looking for "phantom" instead of "phantom stranger"). It's just a question of balance, and it's your choice.

But is there any alternative? Except if you want me to train some IA to help find approximative matches and sort the art for you. xD

On 9/27/2021 at 6:59 AM, NicoV said:

Of course you're right, there is no miracle: if the description is poor / wrong / misspelled / miscategorized, ComicArtTracker may not show you the art - and it can give you some opportunities of you spot them. If sellers don't want to make any effort to give their art the best chance to sell, what can I do? I could automatically accept some error margin when matching keywords, but then I would receive messages every day to tell me that CAT is a because they receive wrong matches (I already do receive such messages, but not everyday ^^).

Sometimes when you know that it happens, you may choose a more "resilient" keyword - that's what I do for Bill Sienkiewicz by looking for any word starting with "sienk". It means that you also accepts to get more false positive to not miss anything (like looking for "phantom" instead of "phantom stranger"). It's just a question of balance, and it's your choice.

But is there any alternative? Except if you want me to train some IA to help find approximative matches and sort the art for you. xD

I wasn't directing my comment to your programming, just the danger of relying on word searches. That's why I check everything (pretty easy in my case). There are, of course, "fuzzy logic" searches, but that's probably not worth the effort and is lilkely to throw off too many "false positives". It's a shame there is no way to write a program which screens out garbage.