• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding Renee Montoya...the Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Ok, I have a question regarding....the Question (the 2nd one = Renee Montoya)

Warning, possible spoilers to general storyline in current Bat books. 

I was very pleased when Bendis brought back both the original Question Vic Sage, as well as Renee Montoya to his Leviathan Rising storyline in Action comics, and then in the Event Leviathan miniseries. I also enjoyed seeing Renee as the Question working contract for Lois Lane in the maxi series by Greg Rucka. 

What I am confused about is that in the Bat books, and especially the Next Batman, she is now police commissioner of Gotham City (having replaced James Gordon) and is not a fan of masked vigilantes?!? 

What the heck is going on? Is this a different Renee Montoya? If this is the same character it seems like a blatant instance of continuity being completely ignored. I mean, was she a part of a mini-crisis I missed? 

Edited by BCoffee

On 9/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, BCoffee said:

Ok, I have a question regarding....the Question (the 2nd one = Renee Montoya)

Warning, possible spoilers to general storyline in current Bat books. 

I was very pleased when Bendis brought back both the original Question Vic Sage, as well as Renee Montoya to his Leviathan Rising storyline in Action comics, and then in the Event Leviathan miniseries. I also enjoyed seeing Renee as the Question working contract for Lois Lane in the maxi series by Greg Rucka. 

What I am confused about is that in the Bat books, and especially the Next Batman, she is now police commissioner of Gotham City (having replaced James Gordon) and is not a fan of masked vigilantes?!? 

What the heck is going on? Is this a different Renee Montoya? If this is the same character it seems like a blatant instance of continuity being completely ignored. I mean, was she a part of a mini-crisis I missed? 

I don't read any DC books currently, but isn't Next Batman a Future State title? Isn't that a future or alternate timeline? That would explain the difference in Montoya.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:31 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't read any DC books currently, but isn't Next Batman a Future State title? Isn't that a future or alternate timeline? That would explain the difference in Montoya.

The Future State Next Batman does indeed take place in the future, not clear yet if it is an alternate timeline or not, since a lot of the DC books are actually keeping major portions of the stories in their current books (ex = all of the Bat titles, Titans Academy, etc.). She is commissioner Montoya in the current Bat books, as well as the new "I Am Batman" title that has the future state "Next Batman" Jace Fox, before he supposedly becomes Batman in the (near?) future. This story takes place in current time and earth prime continuity (as far as I know : ).  

yah i dont' think its explained one way or another, but its her (same timeline or not unclear).  But in the event that it's the exact same one who is the Question, one could foresee a situation (in the near-ish future) where there is some terrible tragedy that causes her to lose faith in or even despise vigilantes or vigilantism, like a wave of unaccountable 'punishers' take over the city, for lack of a better term.

Well, I guess *for now* it's the same timeline. Until they decide they want to go somewhere different. Unless they already have the timeline planned out, and they're going to fill in the story to explain the changes (if it's not too far into the future, that is, kind of like when they did One Year Later and 52).