• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored or Conserved?
3 3

35 posts in this topic

The conserved label would be highly desirable vs purple.  CGC has their own in house team that will remove it and resubmit it for you.  They can't guarantee the same grade but it its really small it should still be in that same 3.5/4.0 range give or take I believe.   If for some reason the color touch was too big and impossible to remove without  destroying the books appearance/grade, as an alternate idea, they could even add slight color touch to keep it at the slight 1 level, but probably bump it up to a restored B1 5.0+ range?  The first option is the better one though and I would think should be worth the cost.  The second option is more of a break even to slight gain at best but gets you a better presenting book that's still only slightly restored.  

Edited by TC33

On 10/22/2021 at 1:19 PM, TC33 said:

The conserved label would be highly desirable vs purple.  CGC has their own in house team that will remove it and resubmit it for you.  They can't guarantee the same grade but it its really small it should still be in that same 3.5/4.0 range give or take I believe.   If for some reason the color touch was too big and impossible to remove without  destroying the books appearance/grade, as an alternate idea, they could even add slight color touch to keep it at the slight 1 level, but probably bump it up to a restored B1 5.0+ range?  The first option is the better one though and I would think should be worth the cost.  The second option is more of a break even to slight gain at best but gets you a better presenting book that's still only slightly restored.  

This +1.

Many collectors forget to consider the 2nd option, but it's a good way to go when the 1st option doesn't work.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:07 PM, gadzukes said:

This +1.

Many collectors forget to consider the 2nd option, but it's a good way to go when the 1st option doesn't work.

A lot of the time, “slight” restoration is sort of like being half pregnant; once you commit if often makes more sense to keep going to maximize the result.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:44 AM, Figment said:
Results of screening...

The evaluation of this invoice is complete.  The Fantastic Four #1 was approved for color touch removal only. CCS determined that the book would then be graded as a conserved book. 

I am pleased and optimistic the grade won't drop too much.

Any pics of the book with the CT removed?

On 11/15/2021 at 4:35 PM, Figment said:

The CT was an attempt to hide the bottom left corner fold.  The removal is most noticeable on the bottom of The Thing's left leg.

Ah, very stealthy…oh well, I had The Thing pegged, but wrong body part!

On 9/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, Figment said:

Done in 1997 before there was a distinction, I asked Susan Cicconi to help this book survive the continuing passage of time.  The intent was conservation, not restoration, but I don''t know enough about today's standards to know which color label it would receive?  Thoughts?  I've obscured the title so as not to obscure or influence any judgements.  Thanks!

IMG_7041.JPG

This book could qualify for conservation, but CGC's Discretions makes it's outcome open for interpretation.. 

On 11/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, Figment said:

No loss of grade after CT removal.  Now I'm off to the task of comparing the purple label image to the blue/grey label image to see if I can spot the difference.  Thank you all, this is indeed what I was hoping for in the first place!

CGC3959241-001_OBV.jpg

That is a gorgeous 4.0 Conserved book!  Congrats! 

And it looks so much better with a Conserved label than a PLOD

Nice looking book. :applause:

I've always maintained that they should only PLOD books when the "restoration" improves the apparent grade. For instance, you would not plod a low grade book with a small marker color hit. In the lower grades, marker hits and glue would be just part of the accumulation of flaws acceptable in that range.

This is a perfect example of that. The color touch did nothing to improve the grade and it was PLOD. Removing the color touch and the book is the same grade.  (shrug)

Edited by Mr. Zipper