• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20 cent keys
1 1

24 posts in this topic

What are the top 20 20 cent cover keys? I could probably figure it out, but I figure someone has the answer ready.

I don't collect BA or own much of it, but these books came out at the peak of my comic buying days when I was 12-14, and picked up nearly everything by DC and Marvel as it was published (long gone), so I have a bit of a nostalgic soft spot for the era, and am curious as to what books I should have held onto for the last 50 years if I'd been more prescient. xD

On 9/23/2021 at 6:35 AM, comic_memories said:

Marvel Spotlight 5 in 9.8 might be the top book due to its rarity in high grade.  Currently 4 in 9.8 and 41 in 9.6. Low numbers due to black cover.

I tend not to see top graded copies as a good measure for just that sort of reason, if there aren't as many of them, they skew perception of interest and average value. The prices for 9.2/9.4 copies are a better metric for comparative value. That said, it seems to have far surpassed ASM #129 at every value. The rise of this book over the last few years has been mind-boggling, even considering the general increase in Bronze keys, especially as interest in the character peaked a while ago. 

On 9/23/2021 at 4:57 AM, androolx said:

Not sure why this one didn't come to my mind inmediately:

Special Marvel Edition 15

The four that I thought of right off were ASM 129, MS 5, HFH 1 and SME 15. Some that have been listed I was unaware had become in demand, and I wonder if they have staying power. ST 169, Brother Voodoo is a cool name, and I guess expectations of a cinematic appearance have driven values, but historically this has been a tier four character. I more surprised by the prices on ASM 124, Man-Wolf is a third rate villain and basically just another iteration of The Wolfman with a somewhat cosmic origin as far as I remember.

Thinking back on which of these I bought on the stands, most all the Marvel books, except IM 55 and ToD 10. There was about a six month period in late '71 early '72 when flush with paper route money, I bought nearly everything, but by the summer of of '72 I was dropping titles that didn't appeal to me, and Iron Man was probably my least liked Marvel hero. My interest in Marvel monster books were pretty much limited to the Mike Ploog illustrated titles. I bought the Batman books, always a favorite, but other than that my interest in DC after the big cutback was with their "Weird" titles, Wrightson horror, and Kirby books.   

On 9/23/2021 at 8:32 AM, rjpb said:

I guess expectations of a cinematic appearance have driven values, but historically this has been a tier four character. I more surprised by the prices on ASM 124, Man-Wolf is a third rate villain and basically just another iteration of The Wolfman with a somewhat cosmic origin as far as I remember.

I nominate Marvel Spotlight #2 squarebound WWbN and Hero for Hire #1, as good value compared to Marvel Spotlight 5 perhaps over-hyped at this time.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:23 PM, aardvark88 said:

I nominate Marvel Spotlight #2 squarebound WWbN and Hero for Hire #1, as good value compared to Marvel Spotlight 5 perhaps over-hyped at this time.

Spotlight #2 would certainly qualify as a BA key, but it's also a 25 cent giant.

Not bad everyone. Per the latest Overstreet (raw 9.2):

1. Marvel Spotlight 5

2. ASM 129

3. Tomb Of Dracula 10

4. Hero For Hire 1

4. Iron Man 55

6. Batman 251

7. Ghost Rider 1

8. Special Marvel Edition 15

9. ASM 121

10. Night Nurse 1

11. Strange Tales 169

11. Tomb Of Dracula 1

11. Wonder Woman 204

14. ASM 122

I suspect Marvel Premiere 1 is #15, but I cannot confirm. With this Age dominated by price variants and giant/square-bound books, the $0.20ers are just not as prevalent.