• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this grade correct?

20 posts in this topic

Hello!

I recently bought a CGC 9.8 of Teen Titans 12 and after close inspection felt like this book didn’t fit the 9.8 criteria. There’s a good amount of spine rub, bindery tears, a spine tick and even a dinged up corner. Any chance this might be a resealed slab?

I ask that also because there seems to be a piece on lint stuck inside the slab. Any responses are greatly appreciated!

8C12BDF5-E05E-4FDE-BB34-F912F33BCDEF.jpeg

C3FCD198-4896-4E74-B912-62221F909A4D.jpeg

3832A326-C078-4729-8461-3983A112C099.jpeg

3E059E8A-582E-4371-BA8A-4219FDB6B131.jpeg

0918E9F2-7FAA-4E75-BD46-B8BC6F35FF93.jpeg

749F7720-090D-48DA-B9BD-98D9EB1DFABD.jpeg

FBC02C0C-83C4-45A6-813B-5A64ADD56422.jpeg

EB8C96C0-B988-4CD7-B19D-EB715A4067AF.jpeg

CE5179C7-7385-46FA-9173-AC556B9B3F96.jpeg

9CDE0102-E25B-44E0-B495-63F85FD16675.jpeg

On 9/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, The Lions Den said:

All 9.8's are not created equal...

It's a hard lesson all comics junkies must learn...they can even start out as 9.8 on the label and be reduced in actual grade, incrementally, with the passage of time.  I've personally decided to let all my keepers remain un-slabbed so that I have final say on what grade level they maintain!

Edited by Mystafo

On 9/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Mystafo said:

It's a hard lesson all comics junkies must learn...they can even start out as 9.8 on the label and be reduced in actual grade, incrementally, with the passage of time.  I've personally decided to let all my keepers remain un-slabbed so that I have final say on what grade level they maintain!

I like your style...

Are resealed CGC slabs now happening? Now THAT is some alchemy that I have yet to read or hear about. 

Advice to the OP is to consider buying the grader's notes... maybe you'll uncover some more info on defects... but there are no guarantees that anything was noted.

Another possibility is that the defects may have occurred after grading and before encapsulation.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:12 PM, Mystafo said:

Sigma lifestyle

On 9/24/2021 at 1:28 PM, Axelrod said:

If your concern is that someone cracked the slab, slid out the original comic, and then surreptitiously substituted and re-sealed this one, I don't think that is very likely - if it's even possible at all.  

Thanks! That's reassuring. It was my primary concern since I was able to get this for a good deal so even if isn't equal to other 9.8s at least I know it's still legit.

Most 9.8s I see have bindery tears and a tic or 2. Any book I have without these is a 9.9 or 10. I have more than a few that are sure fire 9.6. Mistakes happen and there are 9.8s that aren't even NM. Its either trust cgc or buy raw. Or buy slabs in person and hope all the pages are in there. 

I am at 99 some % sure your book isn't resealed. I am 100% sure if I built or bought a machine to slab lower grade comics at higher grades that teen titans 12 would be safe from this scam until it became at least a 5 figure book. 

On 10/7/2021 at 4:30 AM, Thisisrequired said:

Most 9.8s I see have bindery tears and a tic or 2. Any book I have without these is a 9.9 or 10. I have more than a few that are sure fire 9.6. Mistakes happen and there are 9.8s that aren't even NM. Its either trust cgc or buy raw. Or buy slabs in person and hope all the pages are in there. 

I am at 99 some % sure your book isn't resealed. I am 100% sure if I built or bought a machine to slab lower grade comics at higher grades that teen titans 12 would be safe from this scam until it became at least a 5 figure book. 

Thanks for the reply. That's super helpful to know that some of these are very common defects in a 9.8. If only all the books I sent in received the same mistakes and got overgraded haha

On 10/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, sgkinglo said:

Thanks for the reply. That's super helpful to know that some of these are very common defects in a 9.8. If only all the books I sent in received the same mistakes and got overgraded haha

I figure a lot of them are 9.7 so if cgc decides to go with a 9.6 you are a happy buyer. If they choose 9.8 you aren't. I have many 9.8s without a single tick but still got the corner fuzz. Its normal for this when they cut the paper. A 10 is a rare thing unless its card stock. If I buy a copy that is weak I just sell it and try my luck again. If you buy 5 or so copies of the same cgc 9.8 book book you can usually rank them from that is close to being a 9.6 to that's a perfect book other than that lil bit of corner fuzz.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, sgkinglo said:

Nobody mentionned overgrading. You just have to know what is allowed at 9.8.

if its not too late, return it if you're not satisfied with the book.

BUT out of literally millions and millions of submissions, it is possible that CGC makes a mistake in grading, labeling, or hurts the comics after the grading or during encapsulation, or transportation after grading.  Or a combination of any of it.