• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW movie (TBD)
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Sasha Calle's Supergirl Rumored to Be Getting HBO Max Series

Before The CW's Supergirl has even aired its final episode a new report suggests that the DC Films version of the character, played by Sasha Calle, may be getting a TV series of her own on HBO Max. The big twist here is that the TV series, if it happens, is said to be replacing the long-rumored Supergirl movie, which would have been exclusive to HBO Max, just like what is happening with a number of other DC heroes like Blue Beetle and Batgirl. Apparently, the character will be introduced in The Flash with a good deal of mystery surrounding her, and the show will aim to give answers.

Per That Hashtag Show, the series would star Calle and likely feature at least a guest appearance by Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne/Batman. Superman, on the other hand, would not appear, although it's possible other Kryptonians might.

The report suggests that the transition from movie to TV series was a result of --script rewrites, which ultimately suggested the creative team needed more real estate to tell the story they wanted to tell. If true, that would certainly be an interesting path to development for a project so high profile, but in the ever-changing streaming economy, it doesn't sound unbelievable.

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Good gracious DC stinks...

Other than Superman & Lois, Doom Patrol, Titans, Stargirl, HBO's Watchmen, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Young Justice, Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Soul of the Dragon the lack of studio consistency is a big concern.

What stinks for you?

On 9/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

Other than Superman & Lois, Doom Patrol, Titans, Stargirl, HBO's Watchmen, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Young Justice, Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Soul of the Dragon the lack of studio consistency is a big concern.

What stinks for you?

dont forget harley quinn- one of the funniest shows i've ever seen! 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

What stinks for you?

That there's a distinct difference between a theatrical film and a TV show.

And I'm old enough to remember actually watching the Supergirl film in the theater. It...wasn't good. She deserves a well-written, big budget, big screen adventure. Full stop.

Plus - we've already got a great Supergirl show (via the CW) - that, by the way, led to Superman & Lois. 

It's still not comparable to one solid theatrical version.

See also the difference between the (great!) Flash TV show and the (ahem!) long-gestating Flash film.

There are fundamental differences of scale and of audience -- like people who loved The Avengers but never watched Agents of Shield; or folks who never watched the Arrowverse but would love to see Green Arrow or Deathstroke, etc. done right on the big screen. (Once upon a time I was unbelievably stoked for David Goyer's Supermax Green Arrow film. Would still love to see it.)

What's next? We'll hear that, due to disappointment with Wonder Woman 1984, that rather than move forward with a third film, Gal Gadot will be relegated to an HBO Max TV show?

On 9/24/2021 at 8:10 PM, Gatsby77 said:

That there's a distinct difference between a theatrical film and a TV show.

And I'm old enough to remember actually watching the Supergirl film in the theater. It...wasn't good. She deserves a well-written, big budget, big screen adventure. Full stop.

Plus - we've already got a great Supergirl show (via the CW) - that, by the way, led to Superman & Lois. 

It's still not comparable to one solid theatrical version.

See also the difference between the (great!) Flash TV show and the (ahem!) long-gestating Flash film.

There are fundamental differences of scale and of audience -- like people who loved The Avengers but never watched Agents of Shield; or folks who never watched the Arrowverse but would love to see Green Arrow or Deathstroke, etc. done right on the big screen. (Once upon a time I was unbelievably stoked for David Goyer's Supermax Green Arrow film. Would still love to see it.)

What's next? We'll hear that, due to disappointment with Wonder Woman 1984, that rather than move forward with a third film, Gal Gadot will be relegated to an HBO Max TV show?

The thing that has helped keep DC productions from them all not 'stinking' are the wins that do come out across various mediums. Though they may not all link to one another, here are a few modern examples:

• Batman: Soul of the Dragon movie (Home Theater release)
  • Batman: The Long Halloween movie (Home Theater release)
  • DC Showcase Specials (Home Theater releases): 2019 - Death (included with Wonder Woman: Bloodlines); 2019 - Sgt. Rock (included with Batman: Hush); 2020 - Adam Strange (included with  Justice League Dark: Apokolips War); 2020 - DC Showcase: The Phantom Stranger (included with Superman: Red Son); 2020 - Batman: Death in the Family (released as a feature film); 2021 - DC Showcase: Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth! (included with Justice Society: World War II); 2021 - DC Showcase: The Losers (included with Batman: The Long Halloween Part 1); 2021 - DC Showcase: Blue Beetle (included with Batman: The Long Halloween Part 2)
  • Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons movie (CW TV)
  • Doom Patrol series (DC TV & HBO Max)
  • Harley Quinn TAS (DC TV & HBO Max)
  • Justice League Dark: Apokolips War movie (Home Theater release)
  • Justice Society: World War II movie (Home Theater release)
  • Krypton series (SYFY TV)
  • Stargirl series (CW TV & HBO Max)
  • Superman & Lois series (CW TV & HBO Max)
  • Superman: Man of Tomorrow movie (Home Theater release)
  • Superman: Red Son movie (Home Theater release)
  • Swamp Thing series (DC TV & CW TV)
  • Titans series (DC TV & HBO Max)
  • Watchmen series (HBO Max)
  • Wonder Woman: Bloodlines movie (Home Theater release)
  • Young Justice series (DC TV & HBO Max)
  • Zack Snyder's Justice League movie (HBO Max)

If you focus on just the negatives, you miss out on the positives. Again, despite the WB Studios mishandling. And it's a bummer when the movies or shows don't land strongly. But even you enjoyed The Suicide Squad, and I don't even have it on the list.

I understand that the topic is a "rumor". That being said, Worlds of DC/HBO Max shouldn't even consider making any shows until/unless the character gets rave reception.

I know that won't matter, though, because seemingly-everyone wants Cavill back in some role and they don't care.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

What stinks for you?

I’ve liked the Batman movies, but the rest of the movies/series just seem like a mess. No forward planning, nothing seems tied together…just messy. Granted, I don’t watch the tv series, so maybe that’s a missing link, but the movies are missing the mark for me. It feels like Batman, Superman, Harley, wash, rinse, repeat. Meanwhile, Marvel can take no-name characters and make incredible movies or franchises (GotG) out of them…

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 9/27/2021 at 11:57 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I’ve liked the Batman movies, but the rest of the movies/series just seem like a mess. No forward planning, nothing seems tied together…just messy. Granted, I don’t watch the tv series, so maybe that’s a missing link, but the movies are missing the mark for me. It feels like Batman, Superman, Harley, wash, rinse, repeat. Meanwhile, Marvel can take no-name characters and make incredible movies or franchises (GotG) out of them…

Very fair concerns in that there doesn't feel like there is a plan. Even if this all comes from a DC Multiverse perspective where there is no link, at least market to that and push the message, "DC: Where Anything Is Possible!"

But there are so many other solid things they are delivering it does make up for some of the mismanagement. But you would think a mature executive staff would see the potential for having a much stronger plan. And they don't.

doh!

Oh so this IS being based on the Tom King story? Cool, I enjoyed that. Are they doing his Strange Adventures too? I thought I remembered hearing something about that, or was it just James Gunn continually praising it on Xitter?