• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trading card sheets for DC Comics 3-packs
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 5:58 PM, jdandns said:

Amazing, thanks!

I'll try (again) to find mine in the next day or two and add the missing pictures, if I can.

Jeff Allender claims 6 different cards were produced in 1987 and 9 more different cards were produced in 1989.  Link's to Jeff's checklists are as follows.

http://www.nslists.com/dccombk1.htm

http://www.nslists.com/dccombk2.htm

The first 6 cards shown above were produced in 1987 according to Jeff's checklists.   The next 5 cards shown above were produced in 1989 according to Jeff's checklists. 

Note that the only obvious difference between the 4th card shown above and the last card above is the UPC code. They both have a green background at the top of the card with an orange starburst.  

All the cards have "DC Comics Inc 1987" printed on the front of the cards, so I don't know how Jeff concluded that the second set was released in 1989 (but I have no reason to doubt his claim either).   Many of the cards have different UPC cards, so maybe those will lend a clue for identifying the different types of cards without opening the packs.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

I actually remember when these were first on-sale and there was a gap between the two releases. The first batch are the "$2.25 value" since that's three 1987 comics at 75 cents each while the boards that show "$3 Value" indicate three 1989 comics at $1 each. One of the packs I bought back then had the classic Batman #423 with the McFarlane cover. I'm not sure I would've saved that comic as I haven't looked at my Batman comics in a long time, but I still have the cards, haha.

I actually remember when these were first on-sale and there was a notable gap between the two releases. The first batch are the "$2.25 value" since that's three 1987 comics at 75 cents each while the boards that show "$3 Value" indicate three 1989 comics at $1 each. One of the packs I bought back then had the classic Batman #423 with the McFarlane cover. I'm not sure I would've saved that comic as I haven't looked at my Batman comics in a long time, but I still have the cards, haha.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:23 PM, jdandns said:

I actually remember when these were first on-sale and there was a gap between the two releases. The first batch are the "$2.25 value" since that's three 1987 comics at 75 cents each while the boards that show "$3 Value" indicate three 1989 comics at $1 each. One of the packs I bought back then had the classic Batman #423 with the McFarlane cover. I'm not sure I would've saved that comic as I haven't looked at my Batman comics in a long time, but I still have the cards, haha.

Aha... now I get the difference of the 1987 vs 1989,   And no worries my friend.  I still have one of those Batman 423's in an opened pack if you really want one.  I am quite frankly astounded at the prices of those 423's.  I probably have at least 3 spares.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 9/26/2021 at 5:29 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Jeff Allender claims 6 different cards were produced in 1987 and 9 more different cards were produced in 1989.  Link's to Jeff's checklists are as follows.

http://www.nslists.com/dccombk1.htm

http://www.nslists.com/dccombk2.htm

The first 6 cards shown above were produced in 1987 according to Jeff's checklists.   The next 5 cards shown above were produced in 1989 according to Jeff's checklists. 

Note that the only obvious difference between the 4th card shown above and the last card above is the UPC code. They both have a green background at the top of the card with an orange starburst.  

All the cards have "DC Comics Inc 1987" printed on the front of the cards, so I don't know how Jeff concluded that the second set was released in 1989 (but I have no reason to doubt his claim either).   Many of the cards have different UPC cards, so maybe those will lend a clue for identifying the different types of cards without opening the packs.

Batman #429, featured on one of the second wave cards, has a cover date of January 1989, I'm guessing that's where the date came from.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:21 AM, OtherEric said:

The one pack I have; no idea what the 3rd book in it is, or which card sheet:

3-Pack_front.jpg

3-Pack_back.jpg

I'm guessing you have Board #12 shown on Jeff Allendar's web page.  If you turn the pack upside down and whack it a few times on a hard surface, the comics will slide down and you will see the bottom two cards (namely Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76 and Aqualad).   

And here's the rest of the story:  After looking at 63 different boards with sealed and unsealed packs, I've concluded that there's a lot of randomness in how these were put together.  The card groupings on the sheet and the appearance of the front of the sheet are always the same.  However, the same sheet of cards can have different UPC numbers or appearances on the back side.   Go figure.   I found two more card sheets (namely board #7 and #9 on Jeff Allendar's page) by analyzing the packs, but I'm not going to unseal the packs to reveal the sheets.  I still have yet to find 2 of the packs named on Jeff Allendar's page (specifically board #11 and board #14)

Edited by Cpt Kirk

This website contains images of all the card sheets that I didn't have in my collection shown above except for Board #9.   So you can refer to website below for images of Boards 7, 11, and 14 (which are not shown above).   I will probably break out Board #9 out of it's pack in the next few weeks if someone doesn't  post an image of it before I get around to that.

https://www.cosmicteams.com/jla/img/cards/great_heroes/intro3.htm

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 9/26/2021 at 2:23 PM, jdandns said:

Notice that some of the backs of the last 9 boards still say $2.25 value.  I wonder if that is because they stuffed those packs with older comics that were excess stock.

I decided to take a peek at the only DC 3-Pack I have and apparently it is one of the missing ones. :banana:
Board #11
 53   Lex Luthor
 61   Hawk
 69   Crisis #8
 77   Metamorpho
 85   Forever People #1
100   Gorilla Grodd
108   Batman #164
116   Batman Family #1

Comics are Batman 423, 424, 425 (all either 2nd or 3rd print)
IMG_5658.thumb.JPG.5cb7728849f3aa42e8bae6d19989a776.JPG

IMG_5656.thumb.jpg.95efaf7f63255ed8fa1191fd2e429e23.jpg

IMG_5660.thumb.jpg.a68e31d57c5dfd35703908cad8c8e18a.jpg

IMG_5659.thumb.JPG.965e0810449f4814cbb3cbcbcaad7664.JPG

Edited by Stronguy

On 9/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, Stronguy said:

I decided to take a peek at the only DC 3-Pack I have and apparently it is one of the missing ones. :banana:
Board #11
 53   Lex Luthor
 61   Hawk
 69   Crisis #8
 77   Metamorpho
 85   Forever People #1
100   Gorilla Grodd
108   Batman #164
116   Batman Family #1

Comics are Batman 423, 424, 425 (all either 2nd or 3rd print)
IMG_5658.thumb.JPG.5cb7728849f3aa42e8bae6d19989a776.JPG

IMG_5656.thumb.jpg.95efaf7f63255ed8fa1191fd2e429e23.jpg

IMG_5660.thumb.jpg.a68e31d57c5dfd35703908cad8c8e18a.jpg

IMG_5659.thumb.JPG.965e0810449f4814cbb3cbcbcaad7664.JPG

Great job!

I bought and opened more packs in the interest of variant science.   I included images of the front and back of Boards 9 and 11 in the first posting above.   Coming soon, I will post front and back of Board 7 (just bought a spare pack on ebay that will allow me to crack open Board 7).    After that, the only missing Board is 14 (we have an image of the front of Board 14, but I do not have this board so someone else might have to come up with images of Board 14.