• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Illustrated Press Books?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Slightly off topic, so if this violates the rules the mods can feel free to delete. Does anyone have any leads on where to currently find the great Illustrated Press books on Coby Whitmore, Jon Whitcomb or Haddon Sundblom? All the usual places no longer carry them. Is anyone here looking to sell their copies? Feel free to respond here or send me a private message. Thank you so much! 

Coby Whitmore.jpg

Jon Whitcomb.jpg

Haddon Sundblom.jpg

I love all the mid-century artists like Whitcomb, Whitmore, Lovell, Parker, Peterson, etc., but I don’t buy all of these editions when they come out. A few I pick up used here and there, but as you are seeing, they generally command a premium after they sell out. There are simply too many for me to buy every one, so instead I grab average copies of Ladie’s Home Journal, Cosmopolitan, Woman’s Home Companion, etc. when I find them as I usually like to see the art in the original context, like this Whitcomb shown here (lower right):

7E2345C2-6921-4A9F-88A8-4C76522F90DA.jpeg

On 9/29/2021 at 8:51 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Amen, sir!  (thumbsu

Tom Lovell is a recent discovery for me and I can't get enough of his work.  Just outstanding!  :cloud9:

Here's a Lovell from one of my mags, plus a Dorothy Monet, an Arthur Sarnoff, one by Whitcomb, and a Baumhofer, whose work in the slicks was every bit as good as the pulps. 

WHC_Jan50_SS.jpg

Terror rose in her.jpg

The Shy Ones.jpg

Laugh when you may.jpg

WHC_Jan50_BILY.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

On 9/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Amen, sir!  (thumbsu

Tom Lovell is a recent discovery for me and I can't get enough of his work.  Just outstanding!  :cloud9:

763690153_4108c-tomlovell-panamathreat.thumb.jpg.b5bad9f91fc52ad2a3900d5f4b8546a5.jpg

Lovell is AMAZING. His is one of the only Illustrated Press books that I backed on Kickstarter so I could be positive I'd secure a copy. An underappreciated master in my opinion.