• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GLADIATOR 2 directed by Ridley Scott in development (11/22/24)

51 posts in this topic

Ridley Scott is currently focusing on his next film, Kitbag, which stars Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon alongside Jodie Comer in an as-yet-unspecified role. However, speaking with Empire, he announced that when Kitbag is finished, "Gladiator [2] will be ready to go." He's prepared to hop right onto that project, and has confirmed that he's "already having [the --script] written now." Read the full quote here:

"I’m already having [the next] Gladiator written now. So when I’ve done Napoleon, Gladiator will be ready to go."

Scott did not confirm who is writing the Gladiator 2 --script. However, if the team has held together since the latest update back in 2018, it is likely being written by Top Gun: Maverick scribe Peter Craig, making this his third years-later sequel after that film and Bad Boys for Life. It is unlikely to be based in any way on the early --script by Nick Cave, which even Russell Crowe didn't like.

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/30/2021 at 5:25 AM, RickSp said:

I remember reading about that old --script idea for a Gladiator sequel, it was insane and yet sounded so crazy it would of been amazing to see what could of been.... Maximus time travelling through major historical battles haha.

OMG I just remembered that. 

For those that want to see beet sheet crazy... 

Here is the original synopsis for the original sequel 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180810-gladiator-2-was-written-and-its-mad

On 10/1/2021 at 7:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Awful idea.

I guess the real answer is 'it depends'.

They could do something very creative and show how a later gladiator was inspired by Maximus. So not a direct sequel.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:51 AM, Bosco685 said:

I guess the real answer is 'it depends'.

They could do something very creative and show how a later gladiator was inspired by Maximus. So not a direct sequel.

Still a sequel, though.

Some movies are better left standalone.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Still a sequel, though.

Some movies are better left standalone.

Agreed on some being left alone.

Time will tell if this is yet another Hollywood big misstep.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Let's get a Braveheart 2 while we're at it.  Or maybe a Gladiator vs Braveheart movie ala Aliens vs Predator.  :flipbait:

…and don't forget Braveheart and Gladiator (Team-up) vs Predator….and another movie  vs Aliens.    Ahh…such fun…   

Gladiator 2 -script Is Written, Says Ridley Scott

Scott sat down with Deadline over the weekend and revealed that the -script for Gladiator 2 is written.  When asked about the -script, Scott replied, "Oh, it's been written. It's already been written." Scott further elaborates by saying they "can't just do another Gladiator type movie." However, the director feels there's "enough components" from the original movie to "pick up the ball" and continue the story. View Scott's quote revealing the Gladiator 2 -script is written, below:

"Oh, it’s been written. It’s already been written. We have a good footprint, a good, logical place to go. You can’t just do another Gladiator type movie. You’ve got to follow…there’s enough components from the first one to pick up the ball and continue it."

On 11/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, Oddball said:

Ridley Scott is off his rocker. Gladiator should go down like E.T. No F’n sequel needed because it can never measure up. 

I am extremely upset at what he's done to Alien

He should be as well, but I digress

Ridley Scott is the latest legendary director to slam comic book movies. While I sided with Scorsese to some degree, I can’t agree with Scott saying superhero movies are f’n boring with bad scripts. I agree many of them have bad scripts straight from the cookie cutter but even some of those can be entertaining and exciting. I don’t think Scott has seen The Dark Knight. Even then he would probably just claim exception to the rule.