• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GLADIATOR 2 directed by Ridley Scott in development (11/22/24)

51 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2021 at 5:06 AM, ▫️ said:

Ridley Scott is the latest legendary director to slam comic book movies. While I sided with Scorsese to some degree, I can’t agree with Scott saying superhero movies are f’n boring with bad scripts. I agree many of them have bad scripts straight from the cookie cutter but even some of those can be entertaining and exciting. I don’t think Scott has seen The Dark Knight. Even then he would probably just claim exception to the rule.

There was nuance to what he said, tho.

He said that he's actually directed three superhero movies - Alien, Gladiator and Blade Runner - that the protagonist in each was essentially a superhero but that each of those films was well written enough to transcend the usual "man in tights" origin film BS.

I'd agree with him.

So his argument wasn't with superhero films per se, but the poor (and largely cookie cutter) writing / plotting of the vast majority of them.

And personally, I'd mark both Alien and Thelma and Louise as better films than virtually any traditional superhero film that's come out since 2008.

Ridley Scott is readying his long-gestating Gladiator sequel, with Normal People star Paul Mescal in negotiations for the film’s lead role.

The Paramount project is set to be a follow-up to Scott’s best picture-winning 2000 feature, which followed Maximus Decimus Meridius (Russell Crowe), a former general who is forced into being a common gladiator under the rule of Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix), a patricidal self-appointed Emperor of Rome.

According to previous report, the sequel’s story will center on Lucius, the son of Lucilla, played by Connie Nielsen, and the nephew of Phoenix’s Commodus.

David Scarpa, who worked with Scott on All The Money In the World and the duo’s upcoming Napoleon Bonaparte movie, is penning the -script. Scott will also produce with Michael Pruss via Scott Free, and Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher via Red Wagon Entertainment.

Just discovered this thread.

I love Gladiator, an absolutely amazing film and I have to side with those who don't want a Gladiator 2.

I don't because I have no faith in Hollywood to create something worthy. An example of another film that should never have been remade is Ben-Hur. I love the original, but the remake was awful and I think whatever they make for Gladiator 2 will follow the same tired formula.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, PeterPark said:

I can't imagine how badly this would not work. And I'd probably go see it to watch the trainwreck, but talk about a story without a continuation. I can go into specifics, but won't for 20+ year-old spoilers, but this movie was pretty-well wrapped up at the end. 

Exactly!  What is the point of a sequel if there is nothing to jump off from?  I'm afraid that this will just end up tarnishing the original movie by association.

Ugh. I wish he'd leave it alone. This is a little like DaVinci doing 'Mona Lisa 2' showing her doing some work in her garden years later after the first painting.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:17 AM, Gatsby77 said:

There was nuance to what he said, tho.

He said that he's actually directed three superhero movies - Alien, Gladiator and Blade Runner - that the protagonist in each was essentially a superhero but that each of those films was well written enough to transcend the usual "man in tights" origin film BS.

I'd agree with him.

So his argument wasn't with superhero films per se, but the poor (and largely cookie cutter) writing / plotting of the vast majority of them.

And personally, I'd mark both Alien and Thelma and Louise as better films than virtually any traditional superhero film that's come out since 2008.

Scott also directed one of my favorite movies ever 'Legend' starring Tom Cruise as a sort of fantasy superhero named Jack. Ridley Scott doesn't really do horrible projects, so im at least mildly intrigued. I'm on team leave it alone, but maybe he can surprise us :wishluck: