November HA
2 2

147 posts in this topic

Jokes aside, I’m not surprised that there would be fans of that item.    If a Bruner Dr Strange is 400k, why not 200k for that.   300 is surprising but someone clearly wanted it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, buttock said:

$40k per awful painting.  

Would you prefer they were awful drawings?

They aren't amazing paintings, sure, but most comic art isn't made up of amazing drawings either.

Exhibits 1&2 - Herb Trimpe and the cult of Sal and the six figure prices those artists command at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, Bronty said:

Would you prefer they were awful drawings?

They aren't amazing paintings, sure, but most comic art isn't made up of amazing drawings either.

Exhibits 1&2 - Herb Trimpe and the cult of Sal and the six figure prices those artists command at times.

Probably.  I like my comic art in comic style, and most comic artists aren't good painters.  But this isn't about the art at all, is it?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, buttock said:

Probably.  I like my comic art in comic style, and most comic artists aren't good painters.  But this isn't about the art at all, is it?  

Exactly, it’s about the fact it was used on the cover, so whatever right?

I agree, most comic artists can’t paint that well at all.  These aren’t that horrible though apart from typewriter subject matter and heroes chopped up with scissors 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, buttock said:

Probably.  I like my comic art in comic style

And yeah, I guess it really boils down to what the norm is.   I collect video game covers and there black and white goes for a discount as the market expects painted illustrations.   A flip flop of norms. Funny how that works…

Edited by Bronty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bronty said:

Exactly, it’s about the fact it was used on the cover, so whatever right?

I agree, most comic artists can’t paint that well at all.  These aren’t that horrible though apart from typewriter subject matter and heroes chopped up with scissors 

Yeah, I have no delusions about why people are buying this, and it isn't for the quality of the art.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2