• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The B&W Grendel Club
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2022 at 7:18 AM, Ryan. said:

The Grendel omnibi seem pretty cheap and available. While I've certainly been aware of the character for decades I've never sat down and read through the series. Is this worth reading?

oh yes

On 9/14/2022 at 7:18 AM, Ryan. said:

The Grendel omnibi seem pretty cheap and available. While I've certainly been aware of the character for decades I've never sat down and read through the series. Is this worth reading?

Absolutely. One of my favorite series, a top five all timer. A pseudo sci-fi/noir becomes an epic, centuries spanning meditation on the contagious nature of evil. A host of great artists throughout the run. Criminals, werewolves, vampires, post-apocalypse, it's all in there.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:18 AM, Ryan. said:

On 9/14/2022 at 5:35 AM, Bird said:

oh yes

On 9/14/2022 at 7:01 AM, F For Fake said:

Absolutely. One of my favorite series, a top five all timer. A pseudo sci-fi/noir becomes an epic, centuries spanning meditation on the contagious nature of evil. A host of great artists throughout the run. Criminals, werewolves, vampires, post-apocalypse, it's all in there.

Absolutely.

tumblr_nf5js0sovj1s5hedko1_1280.thumb.gif.11c3f326e34847ee7aae31da1d0afdc8.gif

Big news, Matt Wagner is re-doing Devil By the Deed, all new artwork and coloring in the now classic Red, White and Black scheme, to be released by DH in 2023. That’s pretty crazy. I know he’s never been thrilled with the early Grendel stuff, but going full George Lucas was not something I anticipated!

With this news, and the Netflix series on the way, Grendel is getting more attention than ever. Prices spiked after the series announcement, but have since then drifted back down a bit. 

It’s nice to have the paperback omnis back in print, but I wish they’d do Library Editions of everything, at least through the end of the comic run + War Child.

Oh, and germane to the thread, here’s my first four, plus a few. I call it the “good enough” collection. Wish I’d been more proactive before prices got silly. Oh well.

2731F164-9D60-4DD2-B7D2-4800AEE3803F.jpeg

CCCE4232-7FFF-4EAA-AD1F-A1145A3DCEE2.jpeg

33C53BD6-424F-4124-9143-7AE74B990CC4.jpeg

699EEAF2-5490-4BF0-BA38-8567CE139603.jpeg

On 9/17/2022 at 6:06 PM, F For Fake said:

Big news, Matt Wagner is re-doing Devil By the Deed, all new artwork and coloring in the now classic Red, White and Black scheme, to be released by DH in 2023. That’s pretty crazy. I know he’s never been thrilled with the early Grendel stuff, but going full George Lucas was not something I anticipated!

That's awesome!

On 9/17/2022 at 8:20 PM, grendelbo said:

That's awesome!

He seems really excited, so that’s good news. Something like 120 all new pages. I’m excited!

On 9/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, SuperBird said:

Netflix dropped the series, sadly. Or maybe for the best, based on how spoon Netflix has been of late. 

Oh no! I'm sad that we're not getting it, but mostly I'm sad for Matt. He seemed so excited, with the weekly Monday Grendel posts and excitement over the new projects and all. It's been such a long road for him. I hope someone picks it up, I think it could be something really cool!

On 9/27/2022 at 4:23 PM, F For Fake said:

Oh no! I'm sad that we're not getting it, but mostly I'm sad for Matt. He seemed so excited, with the weekly Monday Grendel posts and excitement over the new projects and all. It's been such a long road for him. I hope someone picks it up, I think it could be something really cool!

TBH I think Mage would be easier to translate to a series? I am pretty sure Netflix has access to all his creations...

On 9/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, SuperBird said:

TBH I think Mage would be easier to translate to a series? I am pretty sure Netflix has access to all his creations...

I think Mage would be a killer series, and should be easy enough to translate, as you said.

With Grendel it looks like they’ve already shot a few episodes, so I hope someone will pick it up. Of course, in an era when studios are scrapping entire big budget movies, I guess it’s possible this will never see the out of day. Here’s to hoping!

Very nice! I'm wondering if with the news of cancelation, and the general market turndown, we won't see prices come down a bit. Seems likely. Maybe I can upgrade my 9.4s and 9.6s! I think a 9.8 of Primer is going to be out of my range for some time, but the rest may become attainable at a reasonable price once again.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:56 PM, F For Fake said:

With Grendel it looks like they’ve already shot a few episodes, so I hope someone will pick it up. Of course, in an era when studios are scrapping entire big budget movies, I guess it’s possible this will never see the out of day. Here’s to hoping!

I didn't realize they'd been filming already. Makes me suspect it just wasn't good enough to finish?