• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gamut - Sheridan College comic magazine
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Gamut is pretty fantastic, and your copy looks to be exceptionally nice (plus, it's the cover error -- missing the red ink -- which is pretty striking). I agree with the article's author; in general, this series has been overlooked and dismissed as a college fanzine when it's actually an early showcase of important later talent (plus Eisner!).

And like the author of that article, I've never seen copies of #3 or #4 live either. None of the Gamut issues are easy books, but those last two are tough.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:37 PM, ecgt said:

Thanks for tagging me @Jesse-Lee. I did write this article. Sorry that it has taken me a month and a half to respond to you: I have been on hiatus due to a series of family emergencies. I am planning to return to my "Forgotten Silver" column at Comic Book Daily soon.

Gamut is a special series that continues to fly under the radar (like so many comics from the Canadian Silver Age). I own the first two issues and plan to purchase the others at some point down the road, but as I mention in my article (and as @Qalyarmentions here) the last two issues are hard to find.

Your error copy of # 1 looks like it is great shape. I have seen other examples of the error cover, but they don't come to market often. I'm glad you are enjoying some vintage Canadiana and thanks for reading my article!

Cheers, brian

Sorry to hear about your hiatus, but welcome back! And thanks for the great article, it really helped me understand what I had found, and it's one of the few - and the most complete - histories of the book that I found anywhere online.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, srezvan said:

My Gamut #3 finally arrived this week. I'm still on the hunt for #4. I love fanzines. I pulled some early 1970s Tolkien/LOTR fanzines from an LCS while traveling about 6 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since.

20211121_110442.thumb.jpg.cd802875df9481eb21a79f084cad836a.jpg

It's really fascinating how interesting those comic books are. I think that nowadays because of so many options for comic books the quality leaves much to be desired. It's sad, because comic books are the reason for many good things in my life, for example, my job. I found this site https://samploon.com/free-essays/business-ethics/ when I was looking for a good essay about some of the comic books that I have read. I was so impressed by the way some of them were written that it inspired me to become a writer. That's how I found the job that I have now.

I also collect those but Gamut #3 is missing from my collection, I thought maybe you can sell it to me.

Edited by Alberto_Stein