• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the one book you never thought you'd own that you do /did ?
5 5

97 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2021 at 3:08 PM, Pantodude said:

But ultimately, I must go with my The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (London:  Tilt & Bogue, 1841).  

1295788166_frontcover.thumb.JPG.9ae83c7b78b1bfd14d7f7c2310604ed4.JPG

Unlike the SSC #1, I was not looking for this book (literally a book!), which made ending up with it even sweeter.  Even after my collecting gained momentum and I dabbled in some GA and even Platinum Age books, I never ever imagined that I'd go waaaaaaay back and own the book that started the Victorian Age (!) as the world's first English-language comic book!  (:  Cool comparison while we have the books on top of eachother:  while the SSC #1 experimented with silver metallic ink cover in 1939, the Oldbuck does [did?] it one better with a gilt cover in 1841, almost 100 years earlier!  Just sayin. 

This is a Tropic Thunder moment.  Anyone who goes full Beerbohm with Obadiah Oldbuck deserves an ale toast...

:tink:

Congrats on the acquisition.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:35 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

This is a Tropic Thunder moment.  Anyone who goes full Beerbohm with Obadiah Oldbuck deserves an ale toast...

Mr. O has been a good sport!   It truly reigns as the most unexpected of my pleasant surprises, but it’s also the “comic” I never thought I could get slabbed.  Apparently slab-eligible, per CGC!  :smile:

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/6/2021 at 2:01 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I never thought I would own a Hardy Boy's 1948 printing of this book w/Dust Jacket...but I do now...:facepalm:  lol

51556761051_44c67518dd_c.jpg

I probably read most of those in addition to comics. Heck, I even read my sister’s Nancy Drew books. I always liked Mysteries. 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:07 AM, Robot Man said:

I probably read most of those in addition to comics. Heck, I even read my sister’s Nancy Drew books. I always liked Mysteries. 

The first 38 books were revised and brought up to date starting in 1959.  This book contains the original 224 pgs of text, including all the politically incorrect slurs and outdated references and speech...:whatthe:  The revised stories were changed, updated, shortened and made less offensive to certain people...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 10/3/2021 at 3:07 AM, mstrange said:

I once owned two copies of this book, both incomplete missing the life raft story.  Still searching for a complete copy. 

SUSP.jpg

I found a copy at the flea market but turned it down because it wasn't discounted enough.  After a short discussion I decided to buy the guys entire collection with the Suspense 3.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:47 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I hate to keep beating the Baker drum, but this was a grail want for over 20 years, until one of our boardies decided to sell me this copy...thank you JLee...:)

25387103888_b22f30dd42_c.jpg

Was that the John Lee from Philly (Continental Comics)?

On 10/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, BB-Gun said:

I found a copy at the flea market but turned it down because it wasn't discounted enough.  After a short discussion I decided to buy the guys entire collection with the Suspense 3.

:whatthe:  come on, it was a flea market. How over priced could it have been? Probably a long time ago. Books of that era just don’t turn up in the wild anymore. 

I hate the word “grail” but that would be mine. I have lusted after it ever since I saw it in the Photo Journal Books. 

Glad you came to your senses! 

On 10/9/2021 at 10:55 AM, Robot Man said:

:whatthe:  come on, it was a flea market. How over priced could it have been? Probably a long time ago. Books of that era just don’t turn up in the wild anymore. 

I hate the word “grail” but that would be mine. I have lusted after it ever since I saw it in the Photo Journal Books. 

Glad you came to your senses! 

Buying all of the comics was probably a mistake.  I sold some of the best issues to pay off the loan.  The hot issues sell faster.