• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the one book you never thought you'd own that you do /did ?
5 5

97 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, BB-Gun said:

Buying all of the comics was probably a mistake.  I sold some of the best issues to pay off the loan.  The hot issues sell faster.

That’s the “easy” way. When I make a buy like that, I always sell off the cheese first and hang on to the better ones for later. Why stick your self with the carp? 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:41 PM, Black Bat said:

Yeah here's one, where the honk did this come from???  Oh yeah, I bought it for like $10 to crack out and examine what CGC considers a 9.6.  Guess I never got around to it... does that count?

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 8.38.39 PM.png

Id say so.  It's a different take on what I think the topic creator intended, going with books we never though we'd want.   Like when the topic started and someone mentioned Romance comics, I never thought I'd want to own a He-man comic, but now I do.   10-year old me would just hang his head in shame if he knew 40 year old me was buying cartoon books, westerns, and romance comics.  

On 10/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, Raze said:

My book is pretty cheap compared to all of these great books but I never thought Id get a copy of Shock Suspenstories 6 for under $1000 (got mine for well under which made my budget happy). My focus is EC and I have a very small budget. I have most of the big books but cant imagine getting a Crime Suspenstories 22 at any price now.

Scan 2021-6-25 21.51.34.jpg

Here ya go...just copy this one, print it out and put in a mylite...nobody will know the difference...:insane:

15930281414_74eb0feb37_c.jpg

On 10/23/2021 at 10:57 PM, Raze said:

My book is pretty cheap compared to all of these great books but I never thought Id get a copy of Shock Suspenstories 6 for under $1000 (got mine for well under which made my budget happy). My focus is EC and I have a very small budget. I have most of the big books but cant imagine getting a Crime Suspenstories 22 at any price now.

Scan 2021-6-25 21.51.34.jpg

I will admit that I love the mid to lower grade EC's.  It just makes me picture a kid reading these under the covers with a flashlight scaring the beejeezus out of himself/herself.  Great Book!!

On 10/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, Pantodude said:

But ultimately, I must go with my The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (London:  Tilt & Bogue, 1841).  

1295788166_frontcover.thumb.JPG.9ae83c7b78b1bfd14d7f7c2310604ed4.JPG

Unlike the SSC #1, I was not looking for this book (literally a book!), which made ending up with it even sweeter.  Even after my collecting gained momentum and I dabbled in some GA and even Platinum Age books, I never ever imagined that I'd go waaaaaaay back and own the book that started the Victorian Age (!) as the world's first English-language comic book!  (:  Cool comparison while we have the books on top of eachother:  while the SSC #1 experimented with silver metallic ink cover in 1939, the Oldbuck does [did?] it one better with a gilt cover in 1841, almost 100 years earlier!  Just sayin. 

Thanks for posting this. I lurked for years before starting to post recently, and it's nice to see the Oldbuck book that is so frequently mentioned.