• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape touched cover

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just purchased a nice copy of ASM 50. As I was putting it back in the bag the piece of scotch tape touched the cover. I was able to take it off, but a tiny bit of ink came off too. Does anyone know how much this will affect the grade of this book? Thanks.

FA38A371-E041-473B-91FD-0C55FDECBAD2.jpeg

Sadly, there isn't a straightforward answer. It will depend on the rest of the book. 

If the book is in the G to VG range overall, it may not effect the grade at all. If it's a NM book then you could see it drop significantly. 

You could post pictures of the entire book in the spare a grade area and see what People think.  Ask them to grade it with any without the defect? 

The tape snag stinks! Sorry it happened on such a great book! 

On 10/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, Odda said:

Hello,

I just purchased a nice copy of ASM 50. As I was putting it back in the bag the piece of scotch tape touched the cover. I was able to take it off, but a tiny bit of ink came off too. Does anyone know how much this will affect the grade of this book? Thanks.

FA38A371-E041-473B-91FD-0C55FDECBAD2.jpeg

That is a hugely magnified image and the actual damage seems very small.  Unless you are dealing with a high grade copy (9.0+), it probably won't drop the grade more than one grade level, say from an 8.5 to an 8.0 or whatever.  Once you get to 7.0 or below, it may not have any effect at all.