• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to get dirt or sticky residue off a glossy cover

30 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, Wolverinex said:

One of my friends recommended that as well. Is that pretty easy to use?

In some ways, it's like silly putty.  You roll it over the area and it should pick up whatever's "foreign" on there.  It's not a "cleaner" in the sense it will remove something that's actually stuck on the cover, but it will pick up any dirt, dust, etc.  If you get some, be sure to practice on a cover that's not important to you to get the hang of it.  Whatever amount you use can't be re-used.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:01 AM, MattTheDuck said:

In some ways, it's like silly putty.  You roll it over the area and it should pick up whatever's "foreign" on there.  It's not a "cleaner" in the sense it will remove something that's actually stuck on the cover, but it will pick up any dirt, dust, etc.  If you get some, be sure to practice on a cover that's not important to you to get the hang of it.  Whatever amount you use can't be re-used.

So I was just looking at some reviews online people say there's a weird smell and residue? Does the smell persist?

Honestly, I think it smells a little like Play-Doh coming out of the container.  I've only ever used it to try to clean very small spots/areas (but I also have seen videos where people clean like the entire back cover which I've never done), and haven't had a problem with smell lingering.  I wouldn't expect any residue to remain, but if the Absorene was dry or something, I can see it flaking off while you're rolling it.  It seems like once it dried completely, though, it could just be wiped off with a dry washcloth or something like that.  I haven't had any stick to a book (yet).

Add: I hope someone with more experience with this product will weigh in.  Your application seems like what this stuff was made for, but you're right that there are varying experiences/reviews.  I don't want anyone damaging any sweet books.

Edited by MattTheDuck
Add

On 10/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Honestly, I think it smells a little like Play-Doh coming out of the container.  I've only ever used it to try to clean very small spots/areas (but I also have seen videos where people clean like the entire back cover which I've never done), and haven't had a problem with smell lingering.  I wouldn't expect any residue to remain, but if the Absorene was dry or something, I can see it flaking off while you're rolling it.  It seems like once it dried completely, though, it could just be wiped off with a dry washcloth or something like that.  I haven't had any stick to a book (yet).

Add: I hope someone with more experience with this product will weigh in.  Your application seems like what this stuff was made for, but you're right that there are varying experiences/reviews.  I don't want anyone damaging any sweet books.

I'll try it out.  It's pretty cheap on amazon.  

I find absorene to be slow and light duty. It works for light cleaning. Pages. Gets eraser grit out of creases. It has its uses if you have the time and keep your expectations in check. For sticky residue I use a fast evaporating remover. Experiment on cheap books. Too much product and or pressure can remove ink. 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:44 AM, Thisisrequired said:

I find absorene to be slow and light duty. It works for light cleaning. Pages. Gets eraser grit out of creases. It has its uses if you have the time and keep your expectations in check. For sticky residue I use a fast evaporating remover. Experiment on cheap books. Too much product and or pressure can remove ink. 

can you give me an example of what you use?  

On 10/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, Wolverinex said:

can you give me an example of what you use?  

I had success with every fast evaporating glue sticker adhesive remover I tried. Whatever you have already or find the cheapest. Glob or glue be gone? Undu undo. I had a gallon of wallpaper remover that worked great. Take a dropper and put a few drops down, use the bathroom and if it is gone when you get back you got some good stuff. Put small amount in thimble size container, have a couple makeup remover cloths or q tips or something handy and get to work. Start with small amount and light touch on a .50 comic and work your way up. Works great if you are clumsy and use sticky tape, never have a tape pull again. Or just don't use sticky tape to begin with. Give a comic you don't like a tape pull and go to work until you can remove the tape safely.

I would seriously try Absorene first before going the chemical route. Adhesive removers can work, and I use them, but you just never know how paper/ink will react (especially when the contaminant is unknown), and you could practice on 50 old books and still wind up inadvertently staining and/or fading this one. In addition to the putty, Absorene also makes pads that can rubbed across surfaces. With the putty, try rolling it slowly back and forth across stained area or rub it lightly into the spot. Be sure to always roll it outward off the cover edges and not inward, or you risk catching and tearing the edge (it’s very sticky).

2E74F7C8-CB51-403B-8755-233DBD057747.jpeg

A3699EE4-F917-4269-98AE-B98D9A51CE0A.jpeg

9C5574C1-FF00-4C4A-A236-9B98E56557EA.jpeg

Edited by Grottu

On 10/6/2021 at 4:03 PM, Grottu said:

I would seriously try Absorene first before going the chemical route. Adhesive removers can work, and I use them, but you just never know how paper/ink will react (especially when the contaminant is unknown), and you could practice on 50 old books and still wind up inadvertently staining and/or fading this one. In addition to the putty, Absorene also makes pads that can rubbed across surfaces. With the putty, try rolling it slowly back and forth across stained area or rub it lightly into the spot. Be sure to always roll it outward off the cover edges and not inward, or you risk catching and tearing the edge (it’s very sticky).

2E74F7C8-CB51-403B-8755-233DBD057747.jpeg

A3699EE4-F917-4269-98AE-B98D9A51CE0A.jpeg

9C5574C1-FF00-4C4A-A236-9B98E56557EA.jpeg

Thank you.  I got my Absorbene today, so I'll try it out tonight.  Is it better to roll or to gently press?  Do you use the pads afterwards?

On 10/6/2021 at 5:22 PM, Wolverinex said:

Thank you.  I got my Absorbene today, so I'll try it out tonight.  Is it better to roll or to gently press?  Do you use the pads afterwards?

I would try the pad first and putty second. With putty, roll first and if that doesn’t work, try gently rubbing or blotting. Always best to start very light and slowly get more aggressive, always aware that these tools can do damage if not used carefully.  

On 10/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, Grottu said:

I would try the pad first and putty second. With putty, roll first and if that doesn’t work, try gently rubbing or blotting. Always best to start very light and slowly get more aggressive, always aware that these tools can do damage if not used carefully.  

awesome, okay I just bought the pad for 6 dollars off amazon.  I already have the putty but might as well try the pad first as you recommended.  Do you buy all your supplies from amazon?

On 10/6/2021 at 5:56 PM, Wolverinex said:

awesome, okay I just bought the pad for 6 dollars off amazon.  I already have the putty but might as well try the pad first as you recommended.  Do you buy all your supplies from amazon?

Amazon is as good a place as any to buy the stuff cheap. There are places online that specialize in archival supplies but they tend to be more expensive and have basically the same stuff.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Grottu said:

Amazon is as good a place as any to buy the stuff cheap. There are places online that specialize in archival supplies but they tend to be more expensive and have basically the same stuff.

So the pad, I just brush lightly and hope it comes off?

On 10/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, Wolverinex said:

So the pad, I just brush lightly and hope it comes off?

You’ll want to sorta drag/wipe the pad down the cover, like in the photo, at least several times. While you’re doing that, be sure to secure the cover flat against the desktop or tabletop with your other hand to make sure the pad doesn’t pull it. The pad is very clingy and will tug at the cover, potentially tearing the spine or an edge unless you keep the cover from moving while you drag/wipe.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:54 PM, Grottu said:

You’ll want to sorta drag/wipe the pad down the cover, like in the photo, at least several times. While you’re doing that, be sure to secure the cover flat against the desktop or tabletop with your other hand to make sure the pad doesn’t pull it. The pad is very clingy and will tug at the cover, potentially tearing the spine or an edge unless you keep the cover from moving while you drag/wipe.

Cool, I can't wait to try it.  Thank you