• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steranko swipe
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I was checking out the illustration signature, and I saw this Valigursky piece from 1957.     I don't know if this is a well known, but it seems clear Steranko swiped it 10 or 12 years later:

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/ed-valigursky-american-1926-2009-eye-in-the-sky-paperback-cover-1957-oil-on-board-18-x-11-3-8-inches-457-x-28/a/8055-71022.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

24687914%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

ec368d679a0a8d717ffb262b145e1423--jim-st

Hmmm. Even more "swipey" of this one:

the-eye.jpg.de40d30e1a28fa9e5d6a7780f4d35a15.jpg

Salvador Dali's The Eye (1945) is a great piece of art that summarizes how we perceive our reality and amazingly embody our experience. The eye is part of paintings made by Salvador Dali for the dream sequences of the film Spellbound starring Ingrid Bergman and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. The painting represents one of the dreams that the psychiatrist (Ingrid Bergman in the movie) was analyzing for her patients.

Even run-of-the-mill Dali can sometimes astound - like The Eye, one of five paintings connected with his work on the dream sequence for Hitchcock's Spellbound. No foundation-shaking optical trickery here. Instead, a glassy, weeping eye, suspended in mid-air over a sky like a bruise. It is reminiscent of the eye-slitting scene in Un Chien Andalou, the 1928 film Dali made with Bunuel. Most of all, it underlines that Dali is all about looking: in the early days, work that had to be looked at, and in the later years, work that begged and bullied to be.

Here, Salvador Dali created, what Freud said, the eyes of a "candid fanatic".

https://www.dalipaintings.com/the-eye.jsp

On 10/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, Bronty said:

Do you know the name or date of that cover image?

It's a poster print. I'm having difficulty finding the date for the original gouache.

Nonetheless The Eye is from the 1940s, so probably around the same time, and that beats everyone.

Now Dali wasn't the only surrealist at the time, so maybe someone else was doing similar then too -or even earlier?

Having some fun with this on an otherwise boring morning (aka The World Hasn't Blown Up...yet.)

This is the earliest Dali I've found merging both the eye (along with face) with lines leading to a vanishing point.

image.png.31794b813ecefba1d8f43e3ea534b8ca.png

I found a site that nicely shows all Dali's final works in thumbnail form chronologically. If one is motivated, it's interesting to see how certain Dali concepts percolate over time.

https://www.wikiart.org/en/salvador-dali/all-works#!#filterName:all-paintings-chronologically,resultType:masonry