• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can/will CGC authenticate these cards to be NFC or factory cut?

11 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the verdict is on these cards - I grabbed a few off of eBay and would LOVE to hear your thoughts. The seller wanted to play it safe by saying he expects them to be NFC. Either way, fun to look at. 

Secondly - will CGC just send them back to me if proven to be NFC? Or will I be charged just the same?

AF227B69-A28B-4236-A76A-BFCAA80384F0.thumb.JPG.6d5e9b4bbe251c8ba8b4550d1aa305ce.JPG

It is impossible to know for sure… just don’t call customer support.  Wait for Paul to weigh in on it before spending any money.  He seems to be the most complete answer on these issues and the final word.  

Don’t go down that rabbit hole is my advice.  

On 10/4/2021 at 8:40 PM, Drew99 said:

It is impossible to know for sure… just don’t call customer support.  Wait for Paul to weigh in on it before spending any money.  He seems to be the most complete answer on these issues and the final word.  

Don’t go down that rabbit hole is my advice.  

Good advice - I was sort of already thinking that.

Any specific way to tag Paul?

He’s generally pretty responsive to new posters… customer support is a call center and you may get an answer but it will not be a complete or precise answer.  

This is a precise question.    

I had an authentication question… just generally… CGC doesn’t really differentiate between the two.  If they can’t grade it… they won’t authenticate it is my understanding.  However, your cards could be fine and I’m sure Paul will give you better guidance than I can

ya absolutely don't submit until you get an answer here and then probably ask a few more clarification questions.

Hopefully they won't. Someone on facebook flooded the market with thousands of these jungle NFC cards last year, and encapsulating/grading them will only encourage others to cut up old sheets. Also, Paul had this to say on another recent thread about trimmed cards - I don't see how NFC cards like this are materially different.

"The only way in which CGC guarantees the authenticity of a card is if it is still sealed in its original CGC holder. If a card is returned raw, like these were, we are not making any claims as to the authenticity of the cards. Could they still be authentic? Of course, and I am sure they are. But because they were cut in a way that can be seen as deceptive, we will never put them in a CGC holder. There is no room for debate on this. We simply will not be doing it because, intentional or not, they are made to look like a different issue. " (emphasis added).

Screenshot_20211006-155814_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e66f9b7da155c60145f591e3378c3165.jpgScreenshot_20211006-164639_Chrome.thumb.jpg.382dc52082ec51e33fe79b24e70fef63.jpg

Edited by SayNoToNFCs

• Administrator

I spoke with the team on this. We will only grade factory cut WotC cards with rock-solid provenance back to a WotC employee. Therefore, we will not grade these cards as they are almost certainly cut from a sheet.

Thank you,

Paul

On 10/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, PaulS. said:

I spoke with the team on this. We will only grade factory cut WotC cards with rock-solid provenance back to a WotC employee. Therefore, we will not grade these cards as they are almost certainly cut from a sheet.

Thank you,

Paul

Makes perfect sense! Thank you!