• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Homage

36 posts in this topic

These have to stop. 

The modern era of comics have a bad reputation among many comic enthusiasts and this isn’t helping. 

We all appreciate callbacks and references to a point, with the warm and fuzzy appreciation of the familiar… the nostalgia. 

At another point however, the homage begins to act more like a distress signal, calling out the anxiety of a failing market, reliant on the past to secure its future. 

The one thing we have is power with our buys. Let us all stop supporting the homage. Let us all stop buying into products that reference the things we love.

We can still love these things! Let us love what was, not what reminds us of what was. 

These have to stop. 

6641B675-867D-4539-BD8A-5CAE46638A1D.jpeg

On 10/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I've got a better idea. If you don't like homage covers, don't buy them. If other people like homage covers, let them buy them.

Think you're missing his point, but fair. 

I think these homage covers are indicative of a creative vacuum and an acceptance of rubbish covers if I'm honest, as well as a flood of questionable variants. 

What kills me is if you're gonna do a homage, at least  have an idea of what the hell made the original so great. Most of these are pretty much meh. Those Mayhew ones especially. 

I attached the worst one ever though. Talk about missing the point. 

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0012/0392/9182/products/Bloodshot_9AlanQuah_1200x1200.jpg?v=1602903533

Edited by mediaslave

On 10/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I've got a better idea. If you don't like homage covers, don't buy them. If other people like homage covers, let them buy them.

Yes. Thank you for missing the point. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:22 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not my problem that you expressed poorly whatever your point was

You mean you come on message boards to disagree with people instinctively?

You wouldn’t be the first. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:31 PM, D2 said:

You mean you come on message boards to disagree with people instinctively?

Not at all. You started your post with "These have to stop." The rest of your post doesn't do anything to establish that you're not really looking to prevent letting other people to buy what they like. 

It is just getting lazy. 

Some are fun, others are terrible. 

Only way it will stop is when people stop buying.  I just don't see a stoppage with books like the ASM 300 homages because the values stay solid.

I honestly wouldn't have known the Alien #1 was a homage. 

Patrick

On 10/7/2021 at 12:56 AM, followtheleader said:

It is just getting lazy. 

Some are fun, others are terrible. 

Only way it will stop is when people stop buying.  I just don't see a stoppage with books like the ASM 300 homages because the values stay solid.

I honestly wouldn't have known the Alien #1 was a homage. 

Patrick

that’s kind of my point. I love the comic medium. I think it’s the best way for creative minds to tell their most wild ideas. It’s just so lazy and the last thing anyone needs in this niche medium is laziness. 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:48 AM, mrwoogieman said:

The Alien is an homage to Uncanny 234, a terrible cover in its own right. 

Lol! You don’t like the 234 cover?? How come? I actually thought the original cover by Silvestri was amazing! The comic itself is pretty bland and uninspiring…

On 10/6/2021 at 7:34 AM, D2 said:

These have to stop. 

The modern era of comics have a bad reputation among many comic enthusiasts and this isn’t helping. 

We all appreciate callbacks and references to a point, with the warm and fuzzy appreciation of the familiar… the nostalgia. 

At another point however, the homage begins to act more like a distress signal, calling out the anxiety of a failing market, reliant on the past to secure its future. 

The one thing we have is power with our buys. Let us all stop supporting the homage. Let us all stop buying into products that reference the things we love.

We can still love these things! Let us love what was, not what reminds us of what was. 

These have to stop. 

I stopped buying new books years ago but if this was 5 years ago I'd buy 2-3 copies of this.. it actually looks clean

On 10/7/2021 at 1:26 PM, D2 said:

Lol! You don’t like the 234 cover?? How come? I actually thought the original cover by Silvestri was amazing! The comic itself is pretty bland and uninspiring…

It looks like the Brood infected Wolverine is on a stage with spotlight on him and he's closing with some high energy song and really belting out the last line. 

(:

Edited by mrwoogieman

On 10/6/2021 at 7:34 AM, D2 said:

These have to stop. 

These have to stop. 

Ha, you must realllly hate this part of my collection:

IMG_0381.thumb.jpg.767a4ac7d416264d7ce9734e387bf9c5.jpg

In all seriousness, I think your points are fair. For me, I just find them fun to collect. Cheers!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:32 PM, mrwoogieman said:

It looks like the Brood infected Wolverine is on a stage with spotlight on him and he's closing with some high energy song and really belting out the last line. 

(:

LOL!!!

Wow. I never thought of that. 

It's almost like it's "Wolverine: A Tale of Brooding (A Marvel Musical)

Damn it... 

On 10/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, oatcrunch said:

Ha, you must realllly hate this part of my collection:

IMG_0381.thumb.jpg.767a4ac7d416264d7ce9734e387bf9c5.jpg

In all seriousness, I think your points are fair. For me, I just find them fun to collect. Cheers!

Yes! Yes! So, I know you collectors exist, and I understand it. I can completely understand the love of the cover, and the collecting of these homages. in part I'm sure, like most of us, wouldn't expect them to continue this type of trend for decades.

It's the fact that Marvel, and now all other companies, are fully aware of this fact, and are deliberately exploiting you, indefinitely, knowing that the collector inside of you would be compelled to continue.

And that to me, is not a way to sell books. 

On 10/7/2021 at 10:05 PM, 500Club said:

I like a good homage cover.  I don’t like seeing that same homage on a book a month. 2c

Exactly it. It's the exploitation of genuine fans and collectors.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:56 PM, D2 said:

LOL!!!

Wow. I never thought of that. 

It's almost like it's "Wolverine: A Tale of Brooding (A Marvel Musical)

Damn it... 

Yes! Yes! So, I know you collectors exist, and I understand it. I can completely understand the love of the cover, and the collecting of these homages. in part I'm sure, like most of us, wouldn't expect them to continue this type of trend for decades.

It's the fact that Marvel, and now all other companies, are fully aware of this fact, and are deliberately exploiting you, indefinitely, knowing that the collector inside of you would be compelled to continue.

And that to me, is not a way to sell books. 

Exactly it. It's the exploitation of genuine fans and collectors.

I can't say I disagree. There are so many now that I'm just not interested in, so going forward I'm only considering characters or series that I care about. When I started buying them I didn't really think about how many they would produce and ended up buying quite a few just to round out the collection. In hindsight I would have skipped quite a few over the more unremarkable ones.