• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Homage

36 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, oatcrunch said:

I can't say I disagree. There are so many now that I'm just not interested in, so going forward I'm only considering characters or series that I care about. When I started buying them I didn't really think about how many they would produce and ended up buying quite a few just to round out the collection. In hindsight I would have skipped quite a few over the more unremarkable ones.

I did the exact same thing. Not to the same degree as you have, but I think that's partly to do with the fact that some of my favourite books and covers simply haven't been 'homaged' to the extent that Spidey books have been. There is just this, phenomenon happening with McFarlane that has created a new genre of collecting.

That being said, I completely agree. I have had to sell 99% of my collection (which took years to do, and even longer to realize that I had to for my own sake), just because I grew quite angry with myself over my collecting habits that weren't in check. And I don't think it was my fault exactly, but I definitely think I too was being exploited.

On 10/8/2021 at 12:33 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

This! Book! Bothers me soooo much!

I have always been a Batman fan of sorts, and he is so iconic and immortal of a character that I struggle to understand the rationale of an homage character to a paralleled, competing, equally as immortal character.

It's like giving in. 

That being said, it's an insanely beautiful cover. Maybe not that version and the lens flare is very adobe photoshop.

It's beautiful. It really is. It's a beautiful book... It just shouldn't exist. The concept behind it feels like a bit of a betrayal.

KVoPLv2vzMCMrajaAwGbcK-480-80.jpg

On 10/7/2021 at 8:48 AM, mrwoogieman said:

The Alien is an homage to Uncanny 234, a terrible cover in its own right. 

You must be day-drunk. :D

The Silvestri cover is awesome. Wolverine in agony as the brood takes him over...awesome. Really well done. 

The alien one is stupid. What is it suffering from, indigestion? Leg cramps? Its really silly and misses the point of the original completely. 

Edited by mediaslave

On 10/8/2021 at 12:46 PM, D2 said:

I have always been a Batman fan of sorts, and he is so iconic and immortal of a character that I struggle to understand the rationale of an homage character to a paralleled, competing, equally as immortal character.

It's like giving in. 

That being said, it's an insanely beautiful cover. Maybe not that version and the lens flare is very adobe photoshop.

It's beautiful. It really is. It's a beautiful book... It just shouldn't exist. The concept behind it feels like a bit of a betrayal.

:bigsmile: I agree with all of this. I'm a huge Batman fan. I do think the art on this is gorgeous - moody, great use of light. But there's no way I'd go in for $400 on the 1:250. I guess maybe I'd pay the $25 or whatever for the regular version, but I'm with you - I don't like the Spider-Man 1 parallel.

But then, I also bought this, so who am I to talk:

590766512_IAmBatman1-Kirkham423Swipe.thumb.jpeg.c04a2fdff2543b1e5d79231b1db830de.jpeg.ea4ef43040e65e4f8a92affdd194ab05.jpeg

(Although, I don't care - I do love the Batman 423 cover...)

On 10/8/2021 at 12:46 PM, D2 said:

It's like giving in. 

I broke down and preordered a copy of it - just the regular one that was like $4.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, D2 said:

that’s kind of my point. I love the comic medium. I think it’s the best way for creative minds to tell their most wild ideas. It’s just so lazy and the last thing anyone needs in this niche medium is laziness.

It's not like there aren't several other covers to choose from. This is a non-issue.

Edited by Shawn Everidge

On 10/7/2021 at 11:26 AM, D2 said:

that’s kind of my point. I love the comic medium. I think it’s the best way for creative minds to tell their most wild ideas. It’s just so lazy and the last thing anyone needs in this niche medium is laziness. 

Lol! You don’t like the 234 cover?? How come? I actually thought the original cover by Silvestri was amazing! The comic itself is pretty bland and uninspiring…

+1 

When I saw #234 on the newsstand as a kid at the local grocery store (I grew up in a small town) I grabbed them all since it was an awesome Wolverine cover.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, kimik said:

+1 

When I saw #234 on the newsstand as a kid at the local grocery store (I grew up in a small town) I grabbed them all since it was an awesome Wolverine cover.

Do you still have them all?

On 10/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, D2 said:

Do you still have them all?

No. I sold them off long ago. Some went right away to classmates for $5 apiece - you snooze you lose. lol

The only comic I have from my first collection as a kid is the very first one I bought - X-Men 211. The cover is detached and beat, but the book is still complete. 

I was going to find a Thor thread but I'll throw this in this topic since it seems relevant. I don't chase variants or 1 in whatevers etc... but this was pretty cool. It's a Thor #18 shop variant for my LCS (Hall of Comics) drawn by Daniel Warren Johnson.

It seems this is only the 7th homage to JIM #83 if the details in the article below are accurate.

https://screenrant.com/thor-first-comic-journey-mystery-throg-variant-cover/?fbclid=IwAR0P3iWgt9fDfMcpcDxQ8y8xzdB8ya-zgj38Tf4Umrzo6HCiXQVjadf8cSU

IMG_7832.thumb.jpg.569805c9c16d20c4ee36562c2ef1ce1e.jpg

On 10/27/2021 at 7:43 PM, universal soldier said:

I was going to find a Thor thread but I'll throw this in this topic since it seems relevant. I don't chase variants or 1 in whatevers etc... but this was pretty cool. It's a Thor #18 shop variant for my LCS (Hall of Comics) drawn by Daniel Warren Johnson.

It seems this is only the 7th homage to JIM #83 if the details in the article below are accurate.

https://screenrant.com/thor-first-comic-journey-mystery-throg-variant-cover/?fbclid=IwAR0P3iWgt9fDfMcpcDxQ8y8xzdB8ya-zgj38Tf4Umrzo6HCiXQVjadf8cSU

IMG_7832.thumb.jpg.569805c9c16d20c4ee36562c2ef1ce1e.jpg

Why the F is he called Throg and Beta Ray Bill isn't called Thorse. 

On 11/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, mediaslave said:

Why the F is he called Throg and Beta Ray Bill isn't called Thorse. 

:roflmao: lol, I like that!