• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Examples of Sun Fade
5 5

146 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2021 at 1:48 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 10/7/2021 at 2:06 PM, buttock said:

Look at the top right hand corner of the faded copy. 

Yes, I see it:

Capture.PNG.49ebf97ce72e159eaf48cf14af0f18cf.PNG

Not sure what caused that, but I still don't see this as a sun fade scenario.

Rectangular price sticker.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:29 PM, lizards2 said:

Rectangular price sticker.

Yes, probably.

I've just twigged what you meant @buttock - you're saying the brown copy is displaying sun fade alone as a result of the top right square, as opposed to saying the whole issue is a sun fade copy with the blue copy being what it would have looked like pre-fade. Right?

Did that make sense? :bigsmile:

On 10/8/2021 at 11:39 AM, Tghutcn said:

I don’t know if it’s sun fade if so it’s odd cause it’s only at the top in the banner it’s not from a sticker I know that 

FBCE2C16-6D45-4BC5-B799-D2E40646271C.jpeg

Not sun fade that one, no. Just an interruption to the colouring - could be moisture related.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, probably.

I've just twigged what you meant @buttock - you're saying the brown copy is displaying sun fade alone as a result of the top right square, as opposed to saying the whole issue is a sun fade copy with the blue copy being what it would have looked like pre-fade. Right?

Capture.PNG.ae61487a40693a873e71f003e3c39b3d.PNG

I think I confused myself on that one Liz :grin: @lizards2

Since I bought this copy I assumed it had slight color fade. When I posted it on PGM a little while back opinions were split yes/no.

998165096_WerewolfByNight32.thumb.jpg.87f8ac809eb88084656be1ec79f7cf4b.jpg

Whaddya think?

Edited by grendelbo

On 10/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, probably.

I think I understand what you're saying, I'm not sure if it's sun fade or not, but the rectangular area suggests a price sticker at some point.  If you compare the back cover of the two copies, they match colors pretty well suggesting that something happened to the front alone.  

On 10/8/2021 at 2:55 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I agree with BUTM on this one - not a sun fade. I've seen that affect on many DCs, where blues show as greys due to inks running low - here's another:

supes.thumb.PNG.9e20f38e31bc511c358e2c4f097e354c.PNG

And I just posted these two Spideys in my Andru thread - also good examples of natural colour variations in the four colour process:

143.thumb.jpg.c36d9ea969f9f972f3fe9b493c547e07.jpg 143purple.thumb.jpg.6f60983d766dcd1133ce06d60bdb24a8.jpg

DC had several colors that oxidized during this time period.  I tend to think of the green (e.g. B&B 18, SA 80 -- the green is most often orange/brown from oxidation), but I've seen that with blues also.  I don't know if it's from light exposure or another element.  Horrific 3 is probably the worst example of that green oxidizing.  Just try and find a copy that's not brownish orange.  

On 10/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, buttock said:

DC had several colors that oxidized during this time period.  I tend to think of the green (e.g. B&B 18, SA 80 -- the green is most often orange/brown from oxidation), but I've seen that with blues also.  I don't know if it's from light exposure or another element.  Horrific 3 is probably the worst example of that green oxidizing.  Just try and find a copy that's not brownish orange.  

Not a cover I'm familiar with, but having just looked it up, I see what you mean when comparing these two on eBay currently:

734351650_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.9119b082db43569df9dc698b05dc13b7.jpg1885697132_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.3a90ead9c1b4e55df7ae5155690b1f8f.jpg

On 10/8/2021 at 2:54 PM, grendelbo said:

Since I bought this copy I assumed it had slight color fade. When I posted it on PGM a little while back opinions were split yes/no.

998165096_WerewolfByNight32.thumb.jpg.87f8ac809eb88084656be1ec79f7cf4b.jpg

Whaddya think?

I'd say slight colour fade. Not enough to make you immediately go "that's a colour faded copy" but enough, on close inspection, to make you realise that it has likely spent some time in the sun. The red wording in the bottom left corner circle is a good starting point for thinking along those lines. 

Anyone want to speculate on the grade impact for color/sun fade?

Of course severity and area of impact plays a role, but has anyone back-engineered CGC's grading and theorized on deductions?

On 10/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, grendelbo said:

Anyone want to speculate on the grade impact for color/sun fade?

Of course severity and area of impact plays a role, but has anyone back-engineered CGC's grading and theorized on deductions?

Was just going to ask that 

I suppose it would be considered damage, and probably hits as hard as staining and water damage 

On 10/8/2021 at 4:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I love the inconsistency on that one which I've seen posted before - is it your copy? Oddly cool, despite being, effectively, damaged goods. 

I love the way it looks

Had to add it to my collection 

And the fact that CGC failed to even put a PQ designation on the slab....sealed the deal.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I love the way it looks

Had to add it to my collection 

And the fact that CGC failed to even put a PQ designation on the slab....sealed the deal.

That was offered here wasn't it? Was it raw when you bought it? It is a cool sun fade. Reminds me of the toning on a silver dollar. 

On 10/8/2021 at 7:20 PM, Shrevvy said:

That was offered here wasn't it? Was it raw when you bought it? It is a cool sun fade. Reminds me of the toning on a silver dollar. 

Offered here already slabbed by @rube11

He had a few slabbed sun fades.  

Edited by THE_BEYONDER