• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' THE BATMAN 2 directed by Matt Reeves (2025)
2 2

84 posts in this topic

It looks like we’ll definitely be seeing much more of Robert Pattinson’s Batman within the foreseeable future. It appears as though Warner Bros has the utmost confidence in Matt Reeves’ The Batman. In fact, they’re so confident, they’ve given the sequel an early greenlight.

According to the renowned insider, Daniel Richtman, and confirmed by Batman On Film, Warner Bros has given Matt Reeves the all-clear to drive head-on with a sequel to the upcoming The Batman. It seems like the head honchos over at Warner Bros share an insurmountable amount of interest in Matt Reeves’ iteration of the Dark Knight, they’re so invested, they are actively launching their own cinematic universe surrounded by The Batman.

There are at least two spin-offs in development, so a sequel to The Batman should be of little surprise.

Rumors of spin-offs too in advance of the first film's release.

Batman has a rich lore, with a pantheon of strong characters and grounded stories, and Matt Reeves is making it abundantly clear that he intends on exploring Batman’s world. Reeves is also developing series about Arkham, Penguin with Collin Farrell expected to return, and a series centered on Zoe Kravitz’s Catwoman is rumored to be in development. Richtman has stated that two other spinoffs are planned.

To include The Penguin spin-off.

Edited by Bosco685

Today, The Independent live-streamed the premiere of The Batman, which took place in London a week ahead of the film's theatrical debut. They had the opportunity to speak with director Matt Reeves, who previously helmed Cloverfield and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. During the discussion, he revealed that early talks are being had for the sequel:

"I really believe in what we’ve done and I’d be excited to tell more stories… We are already telling other stories in the streaming space, we’re doing stuff on HBO Max, we’re doing a Penguin show with Colin [Farrell], which is gonna be super cool. And we’re working on some other stuff too but we have started talking about another movie."

Reeves references Hush with an Easter egg hiding in one of the Riddler's puzzles targeting Bruce and the Wayne family secrets.

In the comic books, Hush is a bandaged bad guy who plots with Riddler to unravel Batman's life. The Batman: HUSH storyline reveals the mystery villain's identity as skilled surgeon Dr. Tommy Elliot, a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne with a supervillain vendetta. In some stories, the Batman-obsessed Hush plots to steal Bruce's identity — and his face. 

"That's a character that I love, that I would love to see done, and maybe we'll get the opportunity to do it," Reeves said. "But there are many, there are many [characters]." 

Reeves is building out his Batverse with two announced spinoffs on HBO Max and has confirmed talks of a film sequel with Warner Bros. After the Riddler, Pattinson has expressed interest in the shadowy Court of Owls, and Reeves has said he's up to the challenge of "grounding" more fantastical villains like Mr. Freeze. 

"I really believe in what we've done and I'd be excited to tell more stories... We are already telling other stories in the streaming space, we're doing stuff on HBO Max, we're doing a Penguin show with Colin, which is gonna be super cool," Reeves recently told The Independent. "And we're working on some other stuff, too, but we have started talking about another movie."

My guess is they will take another two hour screenplay and stretch it out to three and a half this time with even more blank stares from Batman and shots that add nothing to the story.

Edited by D84

On 3/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, Wolverinex said:

So court of owls or hush next?

I think you could do both - this might be a spoiler I guess for The Batman movie, but it's a very light one:

Spoiler

They toyed with the "founding families of Gotham" in the Riddler video; he limited it to the Waynes and the Arkhams in that video. The Arkhams aren't one of the founding five families in the comics, but that's a pretty small liberty for the movie to take and it fits well - even casual fans know the name Arkham. One of the founding Gotham elite families is the Elliots, so you could have a Court of Owls storyline that also ties in Tommy Elliot pretty easily I'd think. In the books, the founding five families are: Waynes, Kanes, Elliots, Crownes and Cobblepots. In addition to Tommy Elliot, this also opens up possibilities with Batwoman (Kane family) and Richard Grayson (Crowne family), and it could be fleshed out more in the upcoming Penguin series (especially the Cobblepot family history) if they wanted to go that route. This is all just speculation obviously, but that line about the founding elite in The Batman movie really made me sit up and take notice, hoping there would be a hint of the Court of Owls in there.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Warner Bros. and DC announced Tuesday night at CinemaCon that The Batman is officially getting a sequel, as Warner Bros. delivered the studio’s highly anticipated presentation.

“Matt took one of our most iconic and beloved superheroes and delivered a fresh” Warner Bros. movie chief Toby Emmerich revealed ta CinemaCon. “Matt Reeves, Rob Pattinson and the entire team will be taking audiences back to Gotham with The Batman 2.”

No release date was announced.

The Batman, released in early March of this year, went on to be a huge critical and box office success. Thus far, it is the highest-grossing film of 2022, with a total worldwide take of $759 million.

Edited by Bosco685