• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s AGATHA: COVEN OF CHAOS series (2024)
5 5

99 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2024 at 9:00 PM, drotto said:

You can call me names, but what is the audience for this?

Horror lovers. It looks like they're trying to build a new brand but I don't think it's going to work. 

I looks dreadeful. I can see some horror lovers liking it but I can't see it doing very well, or at least as well as other more popular horror franchises.

On 9/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

Cinemablend reviewer feedback

WOW! WHAT A SHOCK!

Everyone here already knew this. Comic fans already knew this.

Dumb character, show no one asked for, talentless actress.

If only we'd seen this coming!!!

Edited by Chip Cataldo

‘Agatha All Along’ Stars Kathryn Hahn, Aubrey Plaza and Joe Locke on How Queer It Is: ‘It Will Be a Gay Explosion by the End of It’

The cast and creatives behind “Agatha All Along” are celebrating the Disney+ series’ unprecedented LGBTQ representation.

“I would agree with that,” Sasheer Zamata, who plays Jennifer Kale, said when told at Monday’s premiere that “Agatha” has been described as “the gayest project Marvel has ever done. “You’ll see when you watch. Witches are queer, inherently, just because we are outcasts and set aside for many reasons.....

“It is the gayest show on Marvel,” said Ali Ahn, who plays Alice Wu-Gulliver....

Oh gee, how daring and creative :eyeroll:

Edited by jcjames

On 9/5/2024 at 9:00 PM, drotto said:

You can call me names, but what is the audience for this?

The Onion stated it best why every MCU character must have their day in the lead. All of them!

:baiting:

On 9/19/2024 at 12:14 AM, jcjames said:

‘Agatha All Along’ Stars Kathryn Hahn, Aubrey Plaza and Joe Locke on How Queer It Is: ‘It Will Be a Gay Explosion by the End of It’

The cast and creatives behind “Agatha All Along” are celebrating the Disney+ series’ unprecedented LGBTQ representation.

“I would agree with that,” Sasheer Zamata, who plays Jennifer Kale, said when told at Monday’s premiere that “Agatha” has been described as “the gayest project Marvel has ever done. “You’ll see when you watch. Witches are queer, inherently, just because we are outcasts and set aside for many reasons.....

“It is the gayest show on Marvel,” said Ali Ahn, who plays Alice Wu-Gulliver....

Oh gee, how daring and creative :eyeroll:

I believe the media uses the term "stunning and brave."

I caught the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I liked the “procedural” feel to it… like I was watching one of those Nicole Kidman HBO murder-mysteries. Heck it even had nudity… not so Disney/Marvel!  I also liked the clever nods back to Wandavision. I think Katheryn Hahn is terrific… stole the show for me in Wandavision. I’m a little nervous about the show going downhill once the magic shows up, but I thought it got off to a good start. 

Edited by EastEnd1

Watched the first two last night. I liked the first episode, but you'd think Disney would have learned after the Acolyte song fiasco to not do it again. I'll keep watching because I like Katherine Hahn, but my expectations are low finishing the second one.

Also, the teen is probably

Spoiler

Wiccan

right?

Edited by Tnexus

On 9/19/2024 at 9:47 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Heck it even had nudity… not so Disney/Marvel!

They need something to get people to want to watch it. doh!

On 9/19/2024 at 9:47 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I caught the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I liked the “procedural” feel to it… like I was watching one of those Nicole Kidman HBO murder-mysteries. Heck it even had nudity… not so Disney/Marvel!  I also liked the clever nods back to Wandavision. I think Katheryn Hahn is terrific… stole the show for me in Wandavision. I’m a little nervous about the show going downhill once the magic shows up, but I thought it got off to a good start. 

Nudity is great as long as it's not another butt shot of Dennis Franz! I grew up in the 90's and for time it seemed his bare butt was in everything :( Still having nightmares

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/19/2024 at 1:48 PM, Tnexus said:

Watched the first two last night. I liked the first episode, but you'd think Disney would have learned after the Acolyte song fiasco to not do it again. I'll keep watching because I like Katherine Hahn, but my expectations are low finishing the second one.

Also, the teen is probably

Reveal hidden contents

Wiccan

right?

Not a big secret, it's been very telegraphed. 

On 9/18/2024 at 11:14 PM, jcjames said:

This is purely speculation on my part: but if they are going for a "gay explosion", they might be hoping for the same kind of effect that the first two seasons of 'Interview with the Vampire' had on the horror audiences. For those who haven't watched Interview - it's such an unbelievably great show where the actors performances completely transcend the sexual preferences of the characters, but is not the driving force of the story. It did such an amazing job at developing characters that you not only care for, but can sympathize with on an emotional level - regardless of their orientation - leading to one of the better horror shows I've seen in the past few years. Gay, straight or otherwise.

I've got no problem with the sexual orientation of the characters on the show I watch, but if their orientation is more important than the story - I'm gone. I'm not entertained by relationship-centric shows. Give me action, story and plot. When the media claims things like ‘It Will Be a Gay Explosion by the End of It’ - that doesn't bode well if that's the biggest takeaway from the show.

On 9/21/2024 at 11:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:

This is purely speculation on my part: but if they are going for a "gay explosion", they might be hoping for the same kind of effect that the first two seasons of 'Interview with the Vampire' had on the horror audiences. For those who haven't watched Interview - it's such an unbelievably great show where the actors performances completely transcend the sexual preferences of the characters, but is not the driving force of the story. It did such an amazing job at developing characters that you not only care for, but can sympathize with on an emotional level - regardless of their orientation - leading to one of the better horror shows I've seen in the past few years. Gay, straight or otherwise.

I've got no problem with the sexual orientation of the characters on the show I watch, but if their orientation is more important than the story - I'm gone. I'm not entertained by relationship-centric shows. Give me action, story and plot. When the media claims things like ‘It Will Be a Gay Explosion by the End of It’ - that doesn't bode well if that's the biggest takeaway from the show.

Agree

On 9/21/2024 at 1:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Exactly!

I was surprised to see Roy so offended by the Interview With The Vampire series. To me it honored the source material, while also delving deeper into these characters so we understood better what their motivates were about.

On 9/21/2024 at 1:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

Exactly!

I was surprised to see Roy so offended by the Interview With The Vampire series. To me it honored the source material, while also delving deeper into these characters so we understood better what their motivates were about.

I have not read the criticisms of Interview (I'm sure there are plenty). I felt the expansion on the source material really worked well. Purists may not like it (like the Hobbit purists hated the movies), but from an entertainment standpoint, I thought it was great. I'd much rather see a book be turned into a tv show where we can get more into the characters than turning it into a movie where you get 2-3 hours and that's it. 

Interview managed to weave the individual relationships into the story so well, that when it came time for the story to overlap with the emotional ties to the characters - it made for really amazing moments.

Spoiler

(like when you find out Lestat brainwashed the audience to save Louis, not Armand - seriously, who watching this show didn't get a little emotional over that reveal?) 

I don't believe Interview had any sort of social agenda. If they did, I'd like to think they did it wonderfully: they showed an entire audience that feelings and connections between gay people are no different than what hetero people feel. I think the world needs a little more of that.