• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There's a holdup in the Bronx!
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, Sqeggs said:

Baker fans know that this is one of the tougher books to find a copy of that isn't raggedy. Highest graded ahead of a 5.0. My copy was only a 3.5 and I felt happy to have it. 

IMG_1051.jpeg

Whose copy?

Also bought a few raw books, including a very nice copy of National 15 from Blazin' Bob, whose booth I forgot to take photos of, alas. But he had his usual assortment of good stuff. 

Bought some raw high grade (let's hope they actually are!) Pep sci-fi issues from Harley as well as some nice higher grade Rexes. Harley seemed to be doing a steady business.

Also talked with Superworld Ted who likewise said business had been pretty brisk despite what seemed like sparse foot traffic. Of course, I forgot to take photos of his wall books. He had some good stuff. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

On 10/7/2021 at 9:45 PM, Sqeggs said:

Also talked with Superworld Ted who likewise said business had been pretty brisk despite what seemed like sparse foot traffic. Of course, I forgot to take photos of his wall books. He had some good stuff. 

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Metropolis brought some big books! Were any of those for sale? Or just previews for upcoming auctions? 

Ted is a great guy. I'm fortunate to live relatively close to Superworld and try to pop in a couple times a year. I love chatting with him and I've gotten some great books from him over the years. 

On 10/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, walclark said:

Nice report and great to see you back on the boards!

Thanks! I hope that @Zolnerowich will chip in with some observations, if he has a mind to. One thing he pointed out to me was that apparently the organizers had put a damper on cosplay, so the pileups in the aisles caused by people snapping photos of groups of cosplayers that have been a hallmark (by which I mean a plague!) of NYCCs were largely absent. 

Of course, not being able to do full-on cosplay may also have caused some people to give this year's con a miss. And, of course, attendance may pick up over the weekend. 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:45 PM, Sqeggs said:

Bought some raw high grade (let's hope they actually are!) Pep sci-fi issues from Harley as well as some nice higher grade Rexes. Harley seemed to be doing a steady business.

I'm finding that these days you don't need gigantic crowds to still have sales really add up at shows.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

I'm finding that these days you don't need gigantic crowds to still have sales really add up at shows.

Good point and the truth is that the great majority of people attending NYCC aren't there to buy comics--true of most of the big cons these days, I guess. Of those who are, not many are interested in GA. Even in years when the rest of the floor is swamped, the crowds are always thinner in the dealer area--although not as thin as they seemed to be today. 

On 10/7/2021 at 9:51 PM, KCOComics said:

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Metropolis brought some big books! Were any of those for sale? Or just previews for upcoming auctions? 

Ted is a great guy. I'm fortunate to live relatively close to Superworld and try to pop in a couple times a year. I love chatting with him and I've gotten some great books from him over the years. 

Looking back on my photos, I think the first couple of displays were previews of books in coming auctions and the rest were books available for sale. 

The ComicLink booth had no books on display but they mentioned that their upcoming Oct/Nov auction has some nice books including a run of early Actions. The 2 is a 4.5, I think.

One last point: Neither CGC nor CBCS set up. Typically CGC has a big area and it's swamped with people dropping off submissions or asking Matt Nelson for his opinion on resto removal and such. I'll hazard a guess that, given how backlogged they are, sending a bunch of people to New York for a week probably seemed like a bad idea. 

Come to think of it, just the absence of the big CGC and Midtown setups consideraly reduced the size of the area typically devoted to comics. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Edited to add another insightful observation!

Thanks for the report Tony. Good to see you back here. 

Man, I’d love to go to a real con and do some box diving. Pretty much still shut down here on the West Coast. Torpedo back in July was the best we have had. 

Looks like in spite of dealer light, you got some wonderful goodies! 

On 10/7/2021 at 10:40 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the report Tony. Good to see you back here. 

Man, I’d love to go to a real con and do some box diving. Pretty much still shut down here on the West Coast. Torpedo back in July was the best we have had. 

Looks like in spite of dealer light, you got some wonderful goodies! 

Definitely still a lot of fun. I imagine that with what seemed to be greatly increased staffing but lower attendance, the organizers will not be raking it in this year. Let's hope things have finally returned to near normal by next year.  

On 10/7/2021 at 5:58 PM, Sqeggs said:

Brooklyn’s bustin’ out in fights!

There’s a traffic jam in Harlem that’s backed up to Jackson Heights!

There’s a scout troop short a child!

Khrushchev’s due at Idlewild!

Sqeggs and Zolnerowich where are you?!?

Thanks for the report and for stopping by...the Baker thread misses you.  See you in a 6 months to a year.

I'd almost forgotten about the annual Con Reports... I'll never afford one of the major shows... this is nice when someone obliges with the photos. Thanks Tony (thumbsu GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu