• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2021 original art
3 3

77 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Do you happen to recall the asking price of Kieth's Sandman 1 pg 37 in Alberts boot

I'm sorry, I didn't ask about that particular page. (I am avoiding Sandman purchases until things cool down on it a bit. Prices are :screwy: because of TV hype.)

I marked all of the pic names with the dealer name. So be sure to reach out directly if you see anything you like!

On 10/9/2021 at 5:45 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Where were DC

Yeah, I think a lot of the big vendors weren't willing to risk the show getting canceled at the last minute.

I think the reduced capacity should absolutely be a thing going forward. When I think about 2019 and how a trip to the bathroom would eat up 45 minutes... just ridiculous that we would all put up with that crowding.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, BCarter27 said:

When I think about 2019 and how a trip to the bathroom would eat up 45 minutes... just ridiculous that we would all put up with that crowding.

Wouldn't that reasonably mean -from a running the business standpoint- that fans should thus also expect reduced vendors/artists/guests due to markedly higher booth fees. And door would increase too?  I mean, if...

On 10/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, BCarter27 said:

reduced capacity should absolutely be a thing going forward.

Are fans ready to pay 3x as much at the door for 2/3 of crowds to not be present? Sounds super First-Worldly to me ;) 

On 10/9/2021 at 12:01 PM, vodou said:

Wouldn't that reasonably mean -from a running the business standpoint- that fans should thus also expect reduced vendors/artists/guests due to markedly higher booth fees. And door would increase too?  I mean, if...

Are fans ready to pay 3x as much at the door for 2/3 of crowds to not be present? Sounds super First-Worldly to me ;) 

You're not wrong -- fewer people, less guests, higher ticket, etc., etc. economics, blah blah.... But 2017-2019 were SO BAD with crowding that something needed to change. They were just packing people in. No way that was safe from a fire marshal pov too. Imagine moving across a crowded club dance floor for 8-10 hours. You would just hit a knot of people in an aisle and not move for 10 minutes. I'm not providing solutions here. That's up to ReedPOP. They are going to make their money. It's not my job to do it for them. (ReedPOP, if you're reading this, I am available for consulting. Let's talk!)

On 10/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, BCarter27 said:

You're not wrong -- fewer people, less guests, higher ticket, etc., etc. economics, blah blah.... But 2017-2019 were SO BAD with crowding that something needed to change. They were just packing people in. No way that was safe from a fire marshal pov too. Imagine moving across a crowded club dance floor for 8-10 hours. You would just hit a knot of people in an aisle and not move for 10 minutes. I'm not providing solutions here. That's up to ReedPOP. They are going to make their money. It's not my job to do it for them. (ReedPOP, if you're reading this, I am available for consulting. Let's talk!)

Agreed.

2016-2019 they must have seriously greased the inspectors as no way it was safe with the massive over crowding and plethora of choke points.. Too few egress routes and far too many people. If there had been a fire of any note on the top (main) floor death tolls likley would have been in the thousands due to smoke inhalation and trampling.  Would have made the infamous Triangle Shirt Fire seem like a walk in the park.  All that said its  possible the sprinkler system might mitigate all but the trampling which still could could leave hundreds dead. 

This year regardless of the reasons it felt safe from a fire hazard perspective at least on Thurs and Friday.  Weekends are not my scene. 

Overall the show reminded me of the first 4 or 5 NYCC's. Before the event became an "in-thing". Honestly I'd gladly pay the higher price if the future shows were the same. But they won't be, price will still increase but they will sardine cram in all they can. Nothing is more importantly to ReedPop than their bottom line. Getting the kickbacks from "Clear" (story for another day) as well as unsafe crowding until this year proves that.

P.S. The real irony here is due to Covid many of us got a "nicer" NYCC experience.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, BCarter27 said:

Honestly, I didn’t think 2019 was bad, but I didn’t go upstairs for more than half an hour to an hour. There was nothing on the main floor which interested me. When I went to earlier ones (although I missed a few due to ticket unavailability), they also seemed to have more energy. That was missing for me this time.

What is interesting is the thread was killed because someone discussed an entry condition to a show. The ensuing discussion was (to me) useful and insightful b/c it turns out the entry condition was not absolute, i.e. the poster was wrong. The idea that discussion amongst lovers of comic books -- a medium which is fully representative of every sex, race, color and creed, and thus is representative of a free and open society -- was throttled because the largest issue of the moment was even mentioned is abhorrent.

Not sure about art dealers, but comic dealers I spoke with mentioned sales were up compared to 2019 even if crowds were down.  More than one dealer, I do ask ?'s,  mentioned to me that at least now buyers can actually get to their tables unmolested.. Reduced ancillary activities and cosplay probably helps sales - The metaphor "Costumes, don't have pockets" applies. In 2019 years back a major high end book dealer told me no one in costume had ever made a purchase from him. ant any show he had ever done.

I'll glad take a perhaps perceived "lower energy" show over one where I'm constantly pushed, shoved, and jarred while attempting buy some books. It's a con not a football field.  Also lower crowds inherently means better fire safety.

P.S.  Artist Alley was actually bearable this year, seemed more space and smaller crowd, also one particular major/huge entity not being in the alley IMHO was addition by subtraction.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

Also lower crowds inherently means better fire safety.

All this fire talk, ha ha, how many convention rooms filled with the very best in comics and original art have burned down?

Seriously. How many?

Dear Gawd - Action #1 is now even RARER than we thought ;) 

Dragon Con had the same issue this year. attendance was 50% (40k instead of 80k), which was perfect from my perspective but not so great from a vendor perspective. Also Dragon Con had Creees Lee, and I agree, everybody should get some of his work!

On 10/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, vodou said:

All this fire talk, ha ha, how many convention rooms filled with the very best in comics and original art have burned down?

Fire Marshalls' capacity limits are set for the reason of maintaining a speedy evacuation: fire, shooter, gas leak, suicide bomb, etc.

I can imagine plenty of horrific scenarios in an overcrowded building.  Crowd limits are in place so you can get the out of there when someone walks in with an AK47.